Montreal and Quebec City

ShawnPorter

My lovely child girlfriend and I will be going on a roadtrip this week, to Montreal first and then on to Quebec city.

I'm bringing a decent budget for food (foie gras, poutine, confit, oh my) and have a few spots mapped out, but otherwise....

Any suggestions on things to do, places to visit, etc?

its too bad you're not going next month. the montreal convention is gonna be killer.

Josh Mason

Bill Rocha

Seth Ciferri

Dan Santoro

Elio

Jason

Steve Boltz

GRIME

Angelo Miller

Little Chico

Matt B

Ruthless

Mike Rubendall

Todd Noble

NORM

KRIS ROBERTS

THREE KINGS TATTOO

GREG CHRISTIAN

CHUCK D

RON WELLS

JASON SCOTT

CHAD KOEPLINGER

PATRICK SANS

ISHMAEL JOHNSON

SANDY CALISTRO

WILLIAM THIDEMANN

TOXYC

Rus Laich

TURK

JEREMY SUTTON

ADAM HATHORNE

SCOTT ALTHEN

James Samuela

Horishin

HORIMASA

HORIKEN

PAT DEE WAN

Greg Laraigne

ISSA-TIN-TIN

BBR TATOUAGE

DENO

JONDIX

Jayne Doe Tattoo

Alex-La Main Bleue

Alex MisterP

Karl Marc

Sacha

Vlady

GUEN DOUGLAS

Art Tatoo Show Montreal

sorry for the all caps on some of these. fast copying & pasting. no time for fixing that.

• 6 months later...

Heading to Montreal tommorrow so I thought I'd bring this thread back.

I've got Wednesday afternoon to kill.

Thursday morning is my immigration interview, then Thursday afternoon I've got to kill.

So in addition to old Montreal, and poutine which I am well familiar with, what else is there?

Good shops to visit?

Galleries? Museums ?

Do you live there and like to drink beer in the mid afternoon?

• 3 months later...

Unfortunately, my knowledge is now over 10 years old, since that's when I left my hometown.

Old Montreal, obviously, has to be seen.

For tattoo shops, Tatouage Artistique used to be the local Mecca (back when there were only 3 tattoo shops in town!), owned by Keith Stewart, who did lots of nice black and grey work, and put on the first tattoo conventions in town. No idea if the shop is still there or if Keith's still working. He had his son starting to work there over 10 years ago...

At the Vancouver convention, I met Oly Anger, and I really liked his work. You can see tons of Paul Booth inspiration in there, obviously, but if I was into the really dark (meaning subject-matter-wise) black and grey work, I'd be talking to him for sure. Also, he was a nice guy to just talk to, originally from France:

Oly Anger, Tattoo artist

Of ourse, like everywhere else, there are a million shops in town now, so no idea what the deal is anymore.

If you want the best burger you've ever had, and don't mind getting away from downtown, then L'Auberge du Dragon Rouge is where you want to be:

Auberge du Dragon Rouge, Cabaret du Roy, Production Oyez Oyez

Be prepared to be chided a little for being an "Anglo", though. It's a medieval-oriented place, so people are in costume, play around, etc, but not at all like Medieval Times...Much cosier, and the food is simply fantastic (and, like most places in Montreal, good selection of beer on tap, including some exclusive breweries, I think).

The food and culture in Montreal is second-to-none, and I'd still be living there if it wasn't for the inhumane winters! Also, if you're not used to hot and muggy...well, you'll see!

• 2 months later...

The food and culture in Montreal is second-to-none, and I'd still be living there if it wasn't for the inhumane winters! Also, if you're not used to hot and muggy...well, you'll see!

It's funny because I hear that the food in Vancouver is "second to none" a lot

Never been there though so I can't say for myself

• 2 weeks later...
It's funny because I hear that the food in Vancouver is "second to none" a lot

Never been there though so I can't say for myself

Depends...If you want anything from South East Asia (best Chinese and Indian food in the world, according to all the Chinese and Indian people I talk to!), including fantastic sushi, and anything from the sea, Vancouver is it.

For anything else...not so much.