Tattoos and the workplace

slayer9019

I was at an educators' training today with my principal and a bunch of teachers from my school. Since it wasn't a thing where any students would be, I wore clothing that showed my tattoos. My boss sat down with me on a break and wanted to see all of them. He said they were beautiful. He has the attitude that it is up to me what I want to do but understands why I cover them at work. "People can be so judgy," is what he said. I'm still going to cover them at work, but I'm just glad to know he's cool like I had hoped. He seemed to especially like the Horitomo.

• 3 months later...

I didn't read every single page, so bear with me if I missed it. I noticed the majority of you are in corporate and business situations. Can anyone share their experiences as a doctor? Nurse? Veterinarian? I'm curious to see what people have to say about some of these professions.

Personally, I know two different doctors with sleeves. One is a sixty year old biker, bodybuilder, and orthopedic surgeon. I've known him all my life and he's an incredible doctor. He doesn't show his sleeves at work. The other is similar. I'm in school to become a veterinarian, which obviously means I'll be interacting with people, but not on the same level as lawyers or salesmen do.

I didn't read every single page, so bear with me if I missed it. I noticed the majority of you are in corporate and business situations. Can anyone share their experiences as a doctor? Nurse? Veterinarian? I'm curious to see what people have to say about some of these professions.

Personally, I know two different doctors with sleeves. One is a sixty year old biker, bodybuilder, and orthopedic surgeon. I've known him all my life and he's an incredible doctor. He doesn't show his sleeves at work. The other is similar. I'm in school to become a veterinarian, which obviously means I'll be interacting with people, but not on the same level as lawyers or salesmen do.

I think most would agree that it depends on your demographics. I'm an investment advisor in a VERY small, conservative, mid-west town and have limited my tattoos to "above the elbows and knees". I was in to see the local doctor to draw blood recently and my discretion was reinforced when the nurse gave out a quick "oh! - maybe we should use the other arm" when my sleeves were pulled up higher than normal.

Really? I didn't tell her the other arm wouldn't be any better. For the sake of my business, I'll keep them covered for now...

...I'm in school to become a veterinarian, which obviously means I'll be interacting with people, but not on the same level as lawyers or salesmen do.

Considering where a farm vet has their arms often, who could complain? Most farmers are pretty open-minded, I've found. (I did summer work for ASCCS in Southern KY one summer, growing up in farm communities.) Now, if you go in for small animal work, the up-tight lady might discriminate before bringing you Fifi who's has eaten her pearls. You'll have a lab coat on in the office, anyway.

You cannot control people's opinions.

I went from no tattoos to 5 in the past year. Shoulders and legs, so they are easily hidden. This past summer I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. A casual friend told me I've changed a lot. I asked what he meant. He stated I didn't think you were the type to get tattoos. I asked him if this was winter and you never saw my tattoos would you say I've changed a lot ? He replied "I guess not "

No one at work or any customers/clients know I have tattoos. Appearances do matter. How you dress, how you groom yourself, your tattoos. Look around to decide what your appearance should be and don't just look at your co-workers. Look at the supervisors, managers and bosses.

I'm entitled to get tattoos if I want. But I don't expect people to share my point of view or opinion on things. I have a good job that pays well. It affords me to get good tattoos by good artists.

I have both arms, chest, part of one hand, my other hand completely done, half of one leg, some stomach and some fingers. I am probably one of the oldest guys in the company and work as a creative director. I also dress pretty preppy and i'm pretty clean cut.

I have both arms, chest, part of one hand, my other hand completely done, half of one leg, some stomach and some fingers. I am probably one of the oldest guys in the company and work as a creative director. I also dress pretty preppy and i'm pretty clean cut.

From one CD to another, welcome! Got any pics of your tattoos?

My favourite work story is when I was invigilating an exam last April. I was healing my sleeve and had worn a Cardigan to cover it up (as I usually do) but it had gotten way too hot so I took the cardigan off. My arm was peeling like crazy but I figured the students were looking at their exams - not me. One student looked up as I walked by, saw my arm and said "Dude! That's Fresh!" in the middle of the exam.

The benefit of teaching Uni students I guess.

Cool word! I have never actually heard that word in the wild. I always proctor examples. Invigilating sounds so cool when spoken aloud.

Reminds me of eviscerating. Which, I suppose, might be what the students are actually feeling.

Ok, Ya'll. Keep this up and I'll start throwing cyclotron terms at ya. They are heavy and have jagged corners!

I get students from all over the world, and language does hamper us on occasion. They all have to learn terms like isochronous, Azimuthally Varying Field, multipactoring, and learn about positrons and positron emitters (all in two weeks!) Somehow, the weak English skills of my students (and my Appalachian dialect) seem less significant.

Well, @pidjones, I had to go surf the internet for that one, but Azimuthally Varying Field is definitely a word with corners! Which leads me to ponder ... does pid stand for what I think it does, oh engineer-type?

Actually SeeSea, my childhood nickname, inherited from my grandfather. I only use it in my home town, within family, and in forums. When I was a child, it was Ok, but awkward in verbal introductions (Pit? Kit? Ted?) So, I use Nathan usually (grandfather's given name). But I am a bit "loopy".

I work as a preschool teaching assistant and an exam prep tutor, and both of my jobs are cool with my (very minimal) tattoos, as well as my piercings (stretched lobes, 4 in my chest, and nape of my neck). But of course, those are all pretty subtle mods - I'm not sure how much I'd be able to get away with. People around here seem to be way more cool with a cute little ankle or wrist piece (they're insanely popular, after all) than they'd be with, say, a full sleeve. I'm looking to get some work done on my upper arm/shoulder and while I'd love a half sleeve, I just don't know if it's a good idea. I mean, yes, it's very cover-able, but do I really want to wear 3/4-sleeves or long sleeves everyday of my working life if I get a job that won't tolerate that much ink? Ultimately, I won't get a tattoo that isn't easily covered for work if need be, or that'll force me to be hot and uncomfortable all summer if I ever work without AC.

My principal and department supervisor have no issues with my tattoos in meetings and in services and stuff, but I never wear short sleeves in my classroom. Half of the reason is because I don't feel like fielding questions from twelve year olds every day.

My students mostly know that I have tattoos as they see me at track and xc practice. It's funny though. For my first few years, I made a point of keeping covered. Whenever kids would see, it would be a big deal. However, as I've been there longer, and I have a lot more tattoos, they actually seem to care less.

A friend at work caught me in the hall and wanted me to show another lady the world map with population on my shoulder. She was quite disappointed that I had on a long-sleeved microfiber shirt under my button-down company shirt and asked why I was hiding my forearm tattoo. I explained that I was not satisfied with the forearm, and didn't want to wear it uncovered until the artist gets a chance to fix it (sure hope he can/will - booked for Feb 17). No problems with me having them! Just disappointed they have to wait to see them. One lady is quite conservative, too. The company is a huge multi-national, and I saw a Facebook status this morning that one of my awesome German colleagues is anticipating a new tattoo this evening (a dragon, I think).

My job has no tattoo restriction so is up to management. I work in the IT/IS department and my manager does not care about tattoos nor he cares if I expose them.

My supervisor likes them and she has quite few of her own...

She encourages me to expose them.

In the other hand the sales department is very strict on appearance so exposed tattoos are not allowed...