Tattoos and the workplace

slayer9019

I'm a sysadmin, but at a liberal arts school and I've never had any negative comments about my arms to my face at least...but i have close to zero contact with administration or students. Vendors that I deal with seem envious sometimes

I'm getting a palm done in 2 weeks we will see how that gets looked at lol

Uhh...one my teacher works for Cisco, I'm sure all the experiences and stories about his company are all just a bunch of lies I guess. As far as things going overseas, I already know most of the jobs going overseas are in the IT field that are entry level like video graphics testing, call centers, tech support, etc. I'm specializing in security, have you heard of that? I have MANY friends who are software devs, network engineers, and have done more than just "interact with IT companies". If the job requires a dresscode no biggie, I can cover up and look like I have NONE. I know a lot more than you think man, just because you are older and use to be a admin for some company doesn't mean I'm in the same boat. Thanks bro.

Take it easy man. First off I am not as old as you think, I just moved fast. I am not saying anyone's experiences are lies I was saying from my experience. I myself was a security major when I was in school. I am not trying to get you all riled up I was just giving my opinion. If you knew what a consultant does then you would understand what "interacting" is for me. I am basically the "paid expert" that comes in to get jobs done, or "consult" the company's IT when they cannot get the job done themselves. This means I get to work with everyone from the CIO to the the software devs. I know in the recent past the industry has been changing a lot, so even what my teachers told me not so long ago has been changing. Yes I was referring to more entry level geared jobs which can include network/system admins in junior positions which is what you are going to be looking for, since you said that you were finishing up in school. I was not trying to say your friends/teachers are liars, or that you knew nothing, just trying to give you a heads up from my perspective. Sometimes the internet makes everyone sound like an asshole, sorry if I offended you.

As far as the tattoos go I, even being in a client facing only position am still getting a ton of tattoos, I was referring more about the "job stopper" areas.

plus remember certs are worth their weight in gold!

I am employed by a local hospital that owns the gym I work at. I also am a independent contractor with my own clients. You would assume that I need to be careful of how I present myself due to the hospital but our architect came in(remodeling) and he has a full sleeve. Its my personal clients that I rely on for the bulk of my salary and alot of them are borderline wealthy people in their 50s-60s and although they seem like they like me alot I feel visible tattoos would cost me initially.

Funny thing...On my way in from a smoke break at work I saw a guy with the tinniest bit of tattoo sticking out of his suit (wrist). When we got on the elevator I just had to ask (since I was thinking of the thread). He didn't acknowledge me talking till I showed my tattoo. After that he opened up really quick and talked about tattoos for the other 30 seconds we were on the elevator. He has damn near a whole body suit that was just about invisible to anyone (since we all wear suits). Pretty interesting...

On another note I would add this. My sister is an art director and she told me she is thinking about getting her forarm/wrist/hand tattooed. At first I questioned if that would be ok for her job, but she laughed and said it might help! As far as I know in the creative field they are much more accepted, and it seems to go along with does your job want you to "express yourself" compared to a job that wants a worker, with not even a brightly colored shirt (although I prefer my all black approach. plus the nickname of Johnny Cash isnt bad) .

Apparently you only partially read my post. MANY of my friends, including my very best friends, are covered in tattoos. So no, I don't dislike people with them. In fact, I consider the employee I'm writing about a friend which is why it's twice as frustrating that she got a tattoo where she did and put me in an awkward position as her boss. I have a tattoo, which does stay covered when I want it to. I am the boss of the people I've written about. I am the one who hires & fires when the owners decide it's necessary. I am not "going after" anyone - I didn't do anything to the person who just got the tattoo, but in my opinion her decision was in poor taste and she knew it. I am also the one who hired the person who decided to let her chest-tattoo hang out along with her boobs-- do you really think her chest was hanging out at her interview!?

I didn't come here to argue, just to put the POV out there. Sorry you disagree, but no need to personally attack me as someone with "issues." I don't agree with the stigma surrounding tattoos, but we can't pretend it doesn't exist. I made the personal decision to allow myself as many opportunities as possible by having the ability to conceal mine.

I just meant the "issue you were taking," not pointing my finger and saying "you have issues." Not a personal attack at all, or at least, not meant that way. I get that you're in a tough spot and it sounds like you're just frustrated –– with the employees you have to handle, maybe your job in general or just upset that you have to be the bad guy. I did read the whole post, and it sucks you're the one who has to dream up a way to enforce a dress code. The employees you have to reprimand just sound like young kids who'd rather make a stink about personal expression instead of doing a good job. So, I sympathize.

But I still think you'll feel a lot better if you get a big, easily concealed tattoo! Write it off as a business expense! Then you can say, "Listen, Tits McGee, I have a big tattoo and I cover it up, because I'm an adult." And then Tits McGee will say "Wow, you're right, respect." And then you can lead by example.

In my personal life I appreciate alternative lifestyles and most of my friends are heavily tatted.

Also, I think most tattooed folks lead pretty regular lifestyles. I think the concept of "alternative lifestyle" is kind of a misnomer. Let us know how the enforcement goes, maybe some LSTers can give you some helpful tips on how to handle it.

Yeah alternative lifestyles I thought referred to gay/lesbian relationships or people that choose to have multiple spouses not tattoos or tits. For me enforcement has always been pretty simple, You ask someone they comply end of story. A few heavily tattooed people, myself included chose to work a different shift to avoid having to cover tattoos mainly because we were tired of sweating our ass off, but the rest just cover them up or wear long sleeves. You approve their vacation and write their work schedule what other leverage do you need.

I always enjoy these kind of conversations so thanks everyone for partaking and thanks in advance to those who will continue to. This topic has come up a few times on the site and this one is one of the more engaging times.

With that being said, I work as a consultant mainly in the world of psychology and have a fair amount of tattoos including hands and neck which can not be covered up easily. Up until more recently some psychologist used tattoos as a way of pathologizing and potentially distributing possible diagnoses to clients. Some may still do it and I know there are several research studies always going on looking for associations between tattoos and various diagnoses. But thank god more and more people are not relying so heavily on pathologies but rather more on the individual(s). And many of these individuals who rely on pathologies (fifty to seventy percent I believe) will be retiring within the next five years so us in the next generation get to really change how historically psychology has not been used in the best client centered, guided, and driven manner(s). So we get to infiltrate the system and change how services are delivered from the face-to-face work to policies to education to ???????

This I believe can translate to many other professions as we enter these trades or whatever linguistical word fancy's your excitement to work hard and get rid of various pathologies, stigmas, 'isms' and what have yous. The work we do is what matters but at first the older generation and maybe even our own generation are going to judge us so rather than kick in the front doors why don't we lead by the quality of our work and come in through the side door..... We are at a cool spot in history where we can potentially shape things in a much more inclusive and positive way for the future. This all includes pulling the strengths from the old and combining it with the strengths of the new creating a tailor made worker for these days. Anyways, I could go on and on, on this conversation but will cut it short with this.....I wear a suit to ninety percent of my contracts with hand and neck tattoos showing while traveling around from; speaking with agencies (non-profit and for-profit), students, colleges, politicians, doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists, to what-have-yous. I get various looks and some comments on them but try not to talk too much about them and let my work speak for itself. Sure it may help when I am face-to-face with a youth or someone where it could improve the rapport but most of my days are spent with people where it could jeopardize the rapport as well. The flip side is, I get the opportunity to prove the people who could/would judge me wrong if I don't fall into their stereotypes of tattooed people. I do my job and stay respectful. If they want to be disrespectful that's their choice and if by the end of the contract they are still being disrespectful I don't do another contract with them. But my retention rate is good for contracts so I would draw the conclusion, quality of work and respect are speaking louder than tattoos these days.

Lochlan, I identify with what you're saying in regards to how your tattoos can simultaneously help build a rapport in some situations but act as a barrier in others. From a professional standpoint I think in my area (policing) we see the same 'swinging door' effect. Tattoos can open the door for certain segments of the population to feel more at ease in interacting with you - the tattoos are a conversation starter, something that humanises and differentiates you from your uniform (if you're wearing one). On the other hand, we must be cognisant that some clients, particularly older ones, are not going to have those positive associations ... Typically when dealing with an older person.

I also agree that if you have heavy coverage and can be good enough at your job that the tattooing is a 'non issue' for everyone involved, then you're acting as an ambassador for the next people to come along, in a way.

I always enjoy these kind of conversations so thanks everyone for partaking and thanks in advance to those who will continue to. This topic has come up a few times on the site and this one is one of the more engaging times.

With that being said, I work as a consultant mainly in the world of psychology and have a fair amount of tattoos including hands and neck which can not be covered up easily. Up until more recently some psychologist used tattoos as a way of pathologizing and potentially distributing possible diagnoses to clients. Some may still do it and I know there are several research studies always going on looking for associations between tattoos and various diagnoses. But thank god more and more people are not relying so heavily on pathologies but rather more on the individual(s). And many of these individuals who rely on pathologies (fifty to seventy percent I believe) will be retiring within the next five years so us in the next generation get to really change how historically psychology has not been used in the best client centered, guided, and driven manner(s). So we get to infiltrate the system and change how services are delivered from the face-to-face work to policies to education to ???????

This I believe can translate to many other professions as we enter these trades or whatever linguistical word fancy's your excitement to work hard and get rid of various pathologies, stigmas, 'isms' and what have yous. The work we do is what matters but at first the older generation and maybe even our own generation are going to judge us so rather than kick in the front doors why don't we lead by the quality of our work and come in through the side door..... We are at a cool spot in history where we can potentially shape things in a much more inclusive and positive way for the future. This all includes pulling the strengths from the old and combining it with the strengths of the new creating a tailor made worker for these days. Anyways, I could go on and on, on this conversation but will cut it short with this.....I wear a suit to ninety percent of my contracts with hand and neck tattoos showing while traveling around from; speaking with agencies (non-profit and for-profit), students, colleges, politicians, doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists, to what-have-yous. I get various looks and some comments on them but try not to talk too much about them and let my work speak for itself. Sure it may help when I am face-to-face with a youth or someone where it could improve the rapport but most of my days are spent with people where it could jeopardize the rapport as well. The flip side is, I get the opportunity to prove the people who could/would judge me wrong if I don't fall into their stereotypes of tattooed people. I do my job and stay respectful. If they want to be disrespectful that's their choice and if by the end of the contract they are still being disrespectful I don't do another contract with them. But my retention rate is good for contracts so I would draw the conclusion, quality of work and respect are speaking louder than tattoos these days.

That is an interesting perspective. I do have a question though, have you ever wished that you didn't have highly visible tattoos? I only ask this because I always think about myself possibly running out of room and moving to the "job stopper" areas.

Following this thread made me realize I may have the best Tech job on the planet.

I'm a Communications Technician for one of the big 4 class I freight railroads in the U.S.

I work with installing/maintaining everything from PC support, software, network, data, CCTV, satellite dishes, radios, on down to the humble telephone.

I'm not stuck with the same stuff very often, or for very long. I cover a large territory, so I'm not bound to an office all the time.

I've been on this job for 10 years as of this month. I got hired with visible tattoos and it has never been an issue. I kept on getting more as time went on ( the biggest amount in the last year).

I have to move equally between corporate types in the division office, and guys that turn wrenches and swing hammers all day, but now they got to use a computer to do their job.

I've been on the job long enough now (10 years this month) that everyone knows me and knows that I know my stuff, if they call me I can get your problem fixed.

I've never had a negative comment directed my way because of my tattoos (the ones that are visible go from the wrist to "outta sight").

The only dress code we have is T-shirts with 1/4 sleeves and no shorts, (besides hard hats, safety glasses, etc., when necessary).

The corporate types know I can fix their PC, so they don't hassle me, the wrench turners know the same, but they know I'm just a regular guy, and the other guys in my department know that I know my shit so the tattoos aren't an issue, they just take a peek when I get something new.

All that plus I'm payed hourly an outreagous sum and union.

Fuck Me Runnin'

you could'nt beat me with a stick hard enough to leave this job.

That is an interesting perspective. I do have a question though, have you ever wished that you didn't have highly visible tattoos? I only ask this because I always think about myself possibly running out of room and moving to the "job stopper" areas.

What's there is there and I am okay with it as well as adding to them. I think in the long run they help me more than hinder me as some of the people I do work for/with may not always remember a consultants name but they sure as hell remember, the guy in the suit with tattoos who does that psychology stuff and can move between many populations. It is that extra etch in their mind and not just another consultant. This is all speculation of course.

What's there is there and I am okay with it as well as adding to them. I think in the long run they help me more than hinder me as some of the people I do work for/with may not always remember a consultants name but they sure as hell remember, the guy in the suit with tattoos who does that psychology stuff and can move between many populations. It is that extra etch in their mind and not just another consultant. This is all speculation of course.

I do have to say that is an excellent way to look at it. I was told by my mentor when I was getting into consulting to stand out a bit so you're not just another face in the crowd, this applies especially to consulting as you are not a regular. I will have to see moving forward if I can actually "get away" with having visible tattoos, but at the moment I have tons of room left and still need to test the waters first.

• 4 weeks later...

Reviving this topic maybe but an interesting change of work environment for me has prompted a response. For many years I worked in the court/tribunal system which included working as a judge's associate (that's judge's clerk for the Americans). So, incredibly conservative environment which included sitting up front in court & the whole deal with representing the judge at all times. Completely covered up there.

Then I continued in the law but as an in-house lawyer where it was OK for me to shave my head closer to the scalp and show my head tattoo or have my new front torso piece peaking out of an unbuttoned shirt. No one here really cared because there wasn't much eye contact happening in the first place!

Now I work in very hot and sticky Bangkok for a refugee NGO with lots of client contact and the clients are from all backgrounds and religions, with many of them not having left their local village their whole lives and are now suddenly in Thailand. Boss says it's ok to wear short sleeves at work and show my sleeves. However, I'm aware that my tattoos may offend or alienate some clients from some cultures and religious backgrounds. I'm playing it by ear at the moment but the last thing I want is to not be able to gain the trust of someone because of my visible sleeves. I'm hoping that at the end of the day my demeanor & work will be enough.

Reviving this topic maybe but an interesting change of work environment for me has prompted a response. For many years I worked in the court/tribunal system which included working as a judge's associate (that's judge's clerk for the Americans). So, incredibly conservative environment which included sitting up front in court & the whole deal with representing the judge at all times. Completely covered up there.

Then I continued in the law but as an in-house lawyer where it was OK for me to shave my head closer to the scalp and show my head tattoo or have my new front torso piece peaking out of an unbuttoned shirt. No one here really cared because there wasn't much eye contact happening in the first place!

Now I work in very hot and sticky Bangkok for a refugee NGO with lots of client contact and the clients are from all backgrounds and religions, with many of them not having left their local village their whole lives and are now suddenly in Thailand. Boss says it's ok to wear short sleeves at work and show my sleeves. However, I'm aware that my tattoos may offend or alienate some clients from some cultures and religious backgrounds. I'm playing it by ear at the moment but the last thing I want is to not be able to gain the trust of someone because of my visible sleeves. I'm hoping that at the end of the day my demeanor & work will be enough.

I can see what your saying there. I stick with if they don't see it there is nothing to judge me on especially considering I have 'darker' themes

I work at a corporate architecture firm. There are a couple of people with tattoos but nothing more than an arm band or small piece on a calf. Who knows there could be others like me though who choose to cover their tattoos. I figure appearing and acting professional is the best policy. I don't need my career affected by someone else's judgement on outdated ideas. Also, sometimes a potential client will want to come in to the office for meetings and to tour our work environment. When a multi-million dollar project comes walking through the door, that may not be the best time to show off your tattoos. Sides, being in SF, it's not the warmest of climates so I tend to be wearing long sleeves out of necessity.

The funny thing is, a couple weeks ago, I was hanging out with a few co-workers for happy hour. A few of the women, noticed one of my sleeves peeking from my shirt cuff. They were really excited someone in the Office had "tats". It was actually really funny how their eyes bugged out and jaws dropped. Ever since then they've been egging me on to roll up my shirt sleeves or wear t-shirts to work just to expose my tattoos. I'm supposed to be the new catalyst to inject some kind of social energy into the office and liven things up. Most people in the office are very family oriented or just lacking in engaging conversation skills outside of work topics. I just find this idea funny, but can see their mentality as they're all relatively young. I'm the tattooed novelty. The inadvertant new purse dog.

It has got me thinking however if I really should cover up all the time. I should let my work experience speak for itself and if there are problems, do I really want to be at a place like that? The workplace environment will never change afterall unless someone steps up and becomes a good representation for others to see.

BTW, I'd previously timed out of my login before being able to post this, so sorry if this is a re-hash.

I work at a corporate architecture firm. There are a couple of people with tattoos but nothing more than an arm band or small piece on a calf. Who knows there could be others like me though who choose to cover their tattoos. I figure appearing and acting professional is the best policy. I don't need my career affected by someone else's judgement on outdated ideas. Also, sometimes a potential client will want to come in to the office for meetings and to tour our work environment. When a multi-million dollar project comes walking through the door, that may not be the best time to show off your tattoos. Sides, being in SF, it's not the warmest of climates so I tend to be wearing long sleeves out of necessity.

The funny thing is, a couple weeks ago, I was hanging out with a few co-workers for happy hour. A few of the women, noticed one of my sleeves peeking from my shirt cuff. They were really excited someone in the Office had "tats". It was actually really funny how their eyes bugged out and jaws dropped. Ever since then they've been egging me on to roll up my shirt sleeves or wear t-shirts to work just to expose my tattoos. I'm supposed to be the new catalyst to inject some kind of social energy into the office and liven things up. Most people in the office are very family oriented or just lacking in engaging conversation skills outside of work topics. I just find this idea funny, but can see their mentality as they're all relatively young. I'm the tattooed novelty. The inadvertant new purse dog.

It has got me thinking however if I really should cover up all the time. I should let my work experience speak for itself and if there are problems, do I really want to be at a place like that? The workplace environment will never change afterall unless someone steps up and becomes a good representation for others to see.

BTW, I'd previously timed out of my login before being able to post this, so sorry if this is a re-hash.

I work for a large corporation and lots of us have tattoos, but they're all covered by normal work clothes. While my company doesn't have a policy on tattoos, I keep all mine hidden for 2 reasons.

1) I have no reason to show them off to people I don't know.

2) Some of my customers might find tattoos intimidating (I don't agree with this view, but its my responsibility to represent my company and myself in the best possible way).

I'll be happy when the generations of homophobes and tattoo haters die off and are replaced by people with open minds (if that ever happens).

I have a few jobs, but none of them are anti-tattoo.

Work part-time in a call centre, so obviously no issue there - customers can't see me.

I also do various freelance jobs (usually photography and web design), and I think people have a different expectation of how "creatives" look. I often cover up the first time I meet a client, but Brisbane is damn hot - never lost a job because I dressed for the weather.

Its a personal choice. I choose not to expose my tattoos. While they could not fire me for them, I certainly feel the old guard would not appreciate them a lot and it would limit my ability to make more money. I work to make money and feed my family, not to express myself. I wish I had a career that would allow me to express myself and be free, but that just is not my reality and I have come to piece with it. The major decision makers in corporate America these days are probably in their late 50's or 60's. Once they retire and the new guard take over, I don't think this will be as big of an issue as there has been a huge change in culture. Until then I will play it safe and keep making some loot without being judged, whether it is legit or not. Kudos to those who don't care about the judgement.

I'm pretty much in the same boat, but it does kinda suck in the summer when i look at the short sleeves shirts in the closet, sigh, and pick out a longer sleeved one.