Tattoos and the workplace

slayer9019

I am currently going to school to be a paramedic. My teachers tell me that my tattoos are going to make it hard for me to get a job. What I really don't understant is if your dying because of a loss of blood, or you have severe head trauma why you would care what I look like?

Come out to Alameda County homie. No one gives a shit out here. Its all company based when it comes down to it, not the people you are dealing with. Choose an area where your skills trump your lust to color and shade your body in various images and scripts. That's what I did, and it seems to be working out so far. If you want to work in a place where the clientele is a bunch of stuck up rich people... you probably should be clean cut with no visible tattoos... but it you want to work in the hood... it helps to have shit like that. You relate to people better with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Im a tattooer and i also work as a firefighter I am blessed to have two awesome jobs but when im at NASA FD im in longsleeves buttoned all the way up and where gloves over my hand tattoos. I live in NM its hot as fuck over here in the summer but i wouldnt change a thing about my self. make me cover them ill just keep tattooing and getting tattooed:)

People need to remember no matter how popular tattoos get that it doesn't mean that your employer will overlook your decision to decorate yourself, and I don't think they should have to. You are asking to represent them how you look reflects upon them, and that is something they have to deal with.

I don't mean to cast tattoos in a negative light. I have my hands, neck, and even my head tattooed. I don't regret it at all, and would do it all again. However I know that no matter what I do from here on out I will never be a kindergarden teacher.

People need to remember no matter how popular tattoos get that it doesn't mean that your employer will overlook your decision to decorate yourself, and I don't think they should have to. You are asking to represent them how you look reflects upon them, and that is something they have to deal with.

I don't mean to cast tattoos in a negative light. I have my hands, neck, and even my head tattooed. I don't regret it at all, and would do it all again. However I know that no matter what I do from here on out I will never be a kindergarden teacher.

I guess we all make that decision (ex not being a kindergarden teacher) when we tattoo ourselves in more aparent locations

I think the biggest problem with tattoos in the workplace is when trying to acquire a job. I feel as though that a lot of people still view tattoos as an irresponsible thing to do. Just the whole view of "Man, I just had this weekend bender in Vegas, and look at the tattoo I got!" imparts some degree of a lack of intelligence. During the interview process, it's important to show intelligence and responsibility. Honestly, as contradictory as this sounds being that I have a tattoo myself, if I were to interview 2 identical people with identical experience in my field, 1 had no tattoos showing, and the other had several showing, I'd hire the one with no visible tattoos. Maybe I'm also affected by the longstanding bias and view of tattoos.

I don't know how to put this to not offend anyone... can we break down jobs into higher degree and lower degree? Say for example, jobs where it's common for people to have Masters and/or Doctorates as the higher degree, and then Highschool and/or Bachelors for lower degree? In the higher degree situations, I feel that tattoos will directly have an impact on your career. That's the point I'm trying to get across with regards to the mentality of tattoos showing a lack of education. I have a Bachelors myself, but I work with a ton of Masters and Doctorates. I don't know a single one of them who have a tattoo. I don't know if it is indeed an education level view of it, or just the current generation that is holding those jobs, but there is definitely a bias.

I think the biggest problem with tattoos in the workplace is when trying to acquire a job. I feel as though that a lot of people still view tattoos as an irresponsible thing to do. Just the whole view of "Man, I just had this weekend bender in Vegas, and look at the tattoo I got!" imparts some degree of a lack of intelligence. During the interview process, it's important to show intelligence and responsibility. Honestly, as contradictory as this sounds being that I have a tattoo myself, if I were to interview 2 identical people with identical experience in my field, 1 had no tattoos showing, and the other had several showing, I'd hire the one with no visible tattoos. Maybe I'm also affected by the longstanding bias and view of tattoos.

I don't know how to put this to not offend anyone... can we break down jobs into higher degree and lower degree? Say for example, jobs where it's common for people to have Masters and/or Doctorates as the higher degree, and then Highschool and/or Bachelors for lower degree? In the higher degree situations, I feel that tattoos will directly have an impact on your career. That's the point I'm trying to get across with regards to the mentality of tattoos showing a lack of education. I have a Bachelors myself, but I work with a ton of Masters and Doctorates. I don't know a single one of them who have a tattoo. I don't know if it is indeed an education level view of it, or just the current generation that is holding those jobs, but there is definitely a bias.

Actually I think it is more middle of the road jobs (college degree/skilled worker) that usually get the brunt of it. When you work menial jobs most of the time they could give a shit. While on the other end of the spectrum if you got your doctorate they usually use that as more of a benchmark. People in the middle (most of us) get shit on because there are more of us to pick out of the bunch.

Also anything that is "client-facing" usually demand no tattoos. As part if my job part of the job description is apperance, not just a guideline. Still hasn't stopped me from getting tattooed but as of yesterday I can no longer where polos or short sleeved dress shirts ever ever again. This is simply a choice people have to make.

• 5 months later...

I'm working on a Master's and plan on getting a Phd and working in academics. I'm not heavily tattooed, but I plan on at least having one arm finished by the time I enter the job market (5 years or so, lets fucking hope I at least have one arm finished by then). I honestly can't say how big of a deal it is in this profession, I think it differs from school to school and even according to field of study. Liberal arts professor's are likely more able to get away with being tattooed than say someone in the business school. I have to teach as part of my assistantship and nobody seems to care that I have visible tattoos when wearing a short sleeve shirt and I see grad students in other departments who are much more tattooed than myself and I've never heard of any of them catching shit for it. However, I usually teach in a jacket and tie, and would most certainly interview in a jacket and tie, so I never really see it being an issue (hopefully).

Nick Colella told me he has been tattooing a professor that works in Chicago for something like 10 years, and the guy has knuckle tattoos and all, so there's that.

I am currently studying to be a journalist, having all ready finished 2 years of photography studies. For a long time I considered not getting my lower arms done. My thoughts went along the lines of "I need to present myself as a trustworthy (for lack of better words) person when I interview people and work out on the field".

But now I realized that I would still have to wear a long sleeve shirt since I got upper arm tattoos. Maybe I could roll the sleeves up to the elbows but still, long sleeve shirt.

So I decided to go for full sleeve tattoos anyways, I can deal with wearing long sleeves when working. Also I think the world is warming up towards tattoos now, do you agree? At least in Stockholm, where I live, tattoos are very common and you see them on people in all kinds of careers.

However if I plan to work as a traveling journalist I think I still have to cover up in most parts of the world. It would be interesting to hear pointers from those of you that sometimes go on business trips and such, say to Asia or Africa (where's there's a lot of interesting things happening for a journalist right now)

How do you dress when you're in a town or country where you're not sure of the reaction people will have towards your tattoos?

Tolerances certainly are evolving, but especially in the world as it is today - you never know. Almost no one goes their whole professional life at the same job anymore, so one factor for you younger folks is - Who will I depend on for my income 20 years from now? None of us can answer that, obviously - so there is a perception risk involved. Putting ourselves out there, just a bit.

How do you dress when you're in a town or country where you're not sure of the reaction people will have towards your tattoos?

When I'm on business, I respect the fact that I'm representing my employer and cover up. When I'm on my own time I don't worry about it. If you don't like my tattoos, turn your head. Nobody seems to be worried about offending me with their conservative, flat-earth, opinionated, narrow-minded attitudes, why should I worry about offending them?

Nick Colella told me he has been tattooing a professor that works in Chicago for something like 10 years, and the guy has knuckle tattoos and all, so there's that.

Tenure?

With it being prime time for people to enlist in the military I think it is appropriate to state that the policies regarding tattoos were quite relaxed and reduced when people were needed during the heights of the wars and the surge, particularly the Army and the Navy. Both of those branches, however, have really reduced recruiting goals and have stiffened up tattoo regulations again.

Here are some proposed Army 2012 regulations for changes to appearance codes. The biggest thing is that the Army may ban both hand tattoos (were banned, then allowed so long as they were not "prejudicial to good order") and a prohibition on "sleeve" tattoos. Neck tattoos seem to be getting the kibosh as well because it would be impossible for them not to be visible while wearing the Army Physical Fitness Uniform.

Army tightens rules on hair, tattoos, makeup - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times

I work in an office, it's fairly relaxed. I don't have many tattoos, the visible ones are on my foot and wrist. I kept them covered up to start with but now I don't bother. Most people comment that they look nice, although I have seen one or two people take a double look and haven't said anything so I don't know if they were thinking nice things or not lol. I want to get more work done maybe something on my arm, I've decided that when I do it I won't ask them what they think as then it will look like i'm asking permission and i'm not doing that! If they say anything I will agree to cover them up and in the summer I will roll up in a jumper to keep them covered and just blast the air conditioning up in the office! Well that's my plan anyways!

I've been with the same basic company since 1981 and have changes location many times, been through the aquisition, merger & takeover thing. I've been in the office environment for a while now and very few people are beyond showing a couple of small tats. Some of the ladies show small butterflies, flowers, scripts. None of the guys have any ink showing... maybe I'm the only one inked up? I choose to wear long sleeve shirts since I deal with high levels of management and have a professional position myself. I deal with outside vendors quite a bit and visit them often enough.

So I'm really in the tattoo closet. I make sure that nothing shows above the collar, at the neck or out my sleeves. Someone did see one on my leg when my pants leg pulled up, no big deal. One of my last tats is close to peeking out one sleeve and I have to be careful about how far my shirt is opened up. I think it could hurt my advancement, but at age 57.. how far am I going? As soon as I'm out of the work force, I'm planning on a neck and hand tat or more.

CG

I've been with the same basic company since 1981 and have changes location many times, been through the aquisition, merger & takeover thing. I've been in the office environment for a while now and very few people are beyond showing a couple of small tats. Some of the ladies show small butterflies, flowers, scripts. None of the guys have any ink showing... maybe I'm the only one inked up? I choose to wear long sleeve shirts since I deal with high levels of management and have a professional position myself. I deal with outside vendors quite a bit and visit them often enough.

So I'm really in the tattoo closet. I make sure that nothing shows above the collar, at the neck or out my sleeves. Someone did see one on my leg when my pants leg pulled up, no big deal. One of my last tats is close to peeking out one sleeve and I have to be careful about how far my shirt is opened up. I think it could hurt my advancement, but at age 57.. how far am I going? As soon as I'm out of the work force, I'm planning on a neck and hand tat or more.

CG

I run the optical department at the Veteran's Hospital.........24 years ago I wasn't promoted to management at Lenscrafters because I had a visible tattoo on my left index finger....a pachuco cross which could have been cover with a ring or band-aid!

Oh how times have changed.......and I almost miss it in a way....the same way I miss the old mystic of street shops before they started turning into "salons"

I try to cover up ONLY because if I don't....the vet's want to discuss my tattoos rather than their eye wear!

Since I shaved the side of my head and got it tattooed.....I have been wearing wigs to work most days.....or a hat kind of slanted to the side....ha ha ha!

I am growing my hair back now though much to the dismay of many........but it is time!

I think once someone is around a heavily tattooed person long enough.....and they give them self a chance to know the person.....they don't even notice the person is tattooed after a little while!

I guess I am fortunate that I have this job???

I sure as hell do deserve it because I had to work twice as hard to prove myself as everyone else AND I am damn good at my job and they let me know it all the time....so I am very thankful for what I have!

I am glad to be out in the non-tattooed world even though it is very frustrating sometimes with all the annoying questions I get asked.....but I am glad I am out there because if people don't get their questions answered then there is no way they can change their perception of someone who is heavily tattooed!

And boy do they have preconceived ideas......ha ha ha!

I do not personally know another person as heavily tattooed as I am working in a job like I am! Before I had my neck tattooed I called a very good friend in Portland who tattoos and who's opinion I respect very highly and asked him if he thought it was a bad idea....as well as if he thought the tattooer that was about to do it was the right one for the job.....he told me to take 2 hours and really go sit down and think about what i was about to do!

I took his advice and did and I realized the gamble I was about to take because I did know if I lost the job I currently had I would probably not find another one like it because of being so heavily tattooed!

I have started an apprenticeship and I am actually looking forward though to being in an environment where there are more heavily tattooed and modified people! It's been a long and interesting journey and I really do think it is a little harder for a woman to be heavily tattooed in this society!

:)

CG

i'm assuming CA?

@Bunny Switchblade that's awesome. And funny that the old vets are more interested in talking about your tattoos! Every time I think, "Screw it, it's hand tattoo time" or, "This year's the year for neck!" the second I think about it, I know I need to wait. It's good to hear that you're one of those that's been thoughtful and reflective about your decisions and it sounds like they've been the right ones! Now.. more importantly.. apprenticeship?!?

@Bunny Switchblade that's awesome. And funny that the old vets are more interested in talking about your tattoos! Every time I think, "Screw it, it's hand tattoo time" or, "This year's the year for neck!" the second I think about it, I know I need to wait. It's good to hear that you're one of those that's been thoughtful and reflective about your decisions and it sounds like they've been the right ones! Now.. more importantly.. apprenticeship?!?

@gougetheeyes

Sailor Eddie (who has literally become a brother to me) offered me and apprenticeship on June 2nd in Philly!

I have turned down others over the years......but it seems to be the right time in my life and the right person to be taught by! I almost said no.....but he really wants me to learn so I am in the process! And although I never intended to ever tattoo (I was very happy just being a canvas) I am very excited and committed to learning the craft to the best of my ability! :)