Tattoos and the workplace

slayer9019

@gougetheeyes

Sailor Eddie (who has literally become a brother to me) offered me and apprenticeship on June 2nd in Philly!

I have turned down others over the years......but it seems to be the right time in my life and the right person to be taught by! I almost said no.....but he really wants me to learn so I am in the process! And although I never intended to ever tattoo (I was very happy just being a canvas) I am very excited and committed to learning the craft to the best of my ability! :)

that's awesome. best of luck.

I recently had an anthropology professor that was fairly covered and she talked about some of her past troubles landing jobs. Right now, my university treats her great and appreciates her knowledge and teaching abilities (so there are places of business that put work ethic > image). She told us one story where she had completed a phone interview for a teaching job in NYC that was apparently an amazing job. They literally hired her over the phone and told her to just come in on her start day. So she started work and met with the head of the department or whatever that had given her the interview, and he saw her tattoos and immediately said to her, we don't think you will be a good fit for this university. She just saw it as a good thing that she didn't wind up working for those judgmental twats. Now where she works she does a lot of traveling for her research on medical anthropology and the natives in other countries LOVE her tattoos and shes had a lot of great experiences.

Thought I'd share her story, I think it highlights the delicate balance of tattoos in the workplace. It really depends on the employer. I told one of my employers that I had them and I could keep them covered if she wished, and she showed me a lot of respect for being honest and kindly asked me to stay covered during open houses and the like (I worked at a daycare--so she was worried about the parents reactions)

Right now, I'm a cashier and even though I get some dirty glances from customers, the little old ladies showing me their 20+ year old tattoos is worth letting them peek out every now and then. Also more heavily tattooed people recognizing the quality of my tattoos and sharing conversation. I'm hoping once I start working in social work, they will help in certain situations, maybe in connecting with people or youths in trouble.

In grade school, there was this one teacher who was a very strong disciplinarian. He wore suits every day, his classes the kids were totally silent and so was any cafeteria he was on duty to oversee.

My brother became friendly with another teacher he knew from the school and he later worked with her husband. One day he was visiting her and the subject of this strict teacher came up. Don't wanna know how she knows, but it seems that this guy was very heavily tattooed (in the service) and was a very heavy drinker when he wasn't in school. So, you really never know what's going on under that 3-piece suit!

CG

@HaydenRose I wrote a long winded post back when this thread started so if you want take a look back (post #61)...the overall summary is I'd say it has helped me.

You also have to take into account what school of thought you will be working from and how much of "you" you want to enter the linguistical dialogue and clinical relationship. I work from a more zero to no self disclosure with the focus, exploration and discovery via the clients language school of thought (think Motivational Interviewing with Harm Harm Reduction meeting Lacanian) listening from a non self reflective/relating societal norm way of interacting. I rarely if ever answer any question related to my tattoos though they are clearly in the room and clinical relationship.

One of my old staff was doing some research and actually posted the recruitment on here, Calling Female Tattooed Clinical Social Workers, and I bet if you contacted her she'd share her findings.....let me know if you have any questions.

@HaydenRose I wrote a long winded post back when this thread started so if you want take a look back (post #61)...the overall summary is I'd say it has helped me.

You also have to take into account what school of thought you will be working from and how much of "you" you want to enter the linguistical dialogue and clinical relationship. I work from a more zero to no self disclosure with the focus, exploration and discovery via the clients language school of thought (think Motivational Interviewing with Harm Harm Reduction meeting Lacanian) listening from a non self reflective/relating societal norm way of interacting. I rarely if ever answer any question related to my tattoos though they are clearly in the room and clinical relationship.

One of my old staff was doing some research and actually posted the recruitment on here, Calling Female Tattooed Clinical Social Workers, and I bet if you contacted her she'd share her findings.....let me know if you have any questions.

@Lochlan, thanks for sharing! I definitely agree with maintaining a closed, clinical relationship, but hoping to bring some of who I am into the mix if it helps in any way. My fiance sees someone right now who will some times use personal stories to help connect or bring home a point he's trying to make. I'm hoping tattoos may function in that way.

• 2 weeks later...

I work as an engineering consultant. It's a small company and very flexible, do-it-yourself. Everyone knows how covered I am and if it is the end of day in the summer and I wear a t-shirt it is no big deal. I always wear long sleeves when I meet with clients or am on a work site. I don't need "sweet tatts brah", "what is the deep meaning behind your tattoo" or "what are you going to do when you are older" distracting from whatever the focus is. Believe me, adults, have a hard enough time staying focused in a meeting, nevermind me rolling up sleeves to really take their ADD for a shred. On the flip side, if I am doing industrial type projects and I am meeting with contractor/trades types I'll flash some skin. You'd be surprised how much goodwill that can bring when the rough-and-tough contractor realizes that you are not a square, engineer-with-a-pocket-protector type.

I used to cover up at work, I worked for a VERY conservative church as an office manager, I had to interact with food pantry/ clothing closet clients on a daily basis. We were told to dress nicely but not "superior". So things like jeans with no holes and a polo shirt were ok. No visible tattoos or piercings.

Well the ac died in the building and it was 105 outside, so I wore a skirt and a nice shirt forgetting about the policy. I have my calf done as well as my foot. I showed up to work that day and so did the board. After seeing that my tattoos were not offensive, and they were actually a good talking point between myself and some of our regulars, they amended the policy.

I realize this is the exception, I never in a million years would have thought they would amend the policy, in fact I was preparing to be fired.

Now I work in a bakery, but don't deal with clients anymore, you can see my newly acquired back piece through my chef coat, but no one seems to care.

• 1 month later...

So I have read something like 25 or more forum pages in various threads related to tattoos in the workplace and I have yet to see anyone mention the products on the market that are used to cover tattoos. You know, they're just make-up basicaly like this one called Dermablend which had a very successful video advertisement that went viral on the web. I've found one thread about it here: http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/wtf-news/1504-zombie-boy-does-campaign-dermablend-tattoo-covering-makeup-video.html

What do you guys think of this for hiding visible hand and finger tattoos? It seems like a great solution to me, why don't people talk about it more? Obviously it wouldnt work for forearms or neck tattoos because of how time and money consuming it would be to apply every day though.

So I have read something like 25 or more forum pages in various threads related to tattoos in the workplace and I have yet to see anyone mention the products on the market that are used to cover tattoos. You know, they're just make-up basicaly like this one called Dermablend which had a very successful video advertisement that went viral on the web. I've found one thread about it here: http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/wtf-news/1504-zombie-boy-does-campaign-dermablend-tattoo-covering-makeup-video.html

What do you guys think of this for hiding visible hand and finger tattoos? It seems like a great solution to me, why don't people talk about it more? Obviously it wouldnt work for forearms or neck tattoos because of how time and money consuming it would be to apply every day though.

At least for myself it would be too much of a hassle to be worth it. Plus what about when you wash you hands at work or shake hands. You would be undoing the cover-up plus you will always be able to see where the tattoo was. Not everyone is a makeup artist.

I meant CA as in Computer Associates

No, not Computer Associates, I do know people that work there though. A very structured place.

CG

- - - Updated - - -

I always cover up all my tattoos at work. I work for a non profit organization. Too many people still stigmatize others with tattoos so I just don't show them and I try to keep my tattoos in areas that are easily hidden from view.

I work for a "no clue how thay make a profit" organization. Tattoos are like anything else you share among coworkers... what they don't know can't be held against you.

CG

i guess I'm lucky... I'm a web designer, tattoos are widely accepted in my industry. One of the biggest and most influential web agencies in the business, R/GA, even made a mini-documentary about people who work there who have tattoos.

I work at a small agency of 17 people in the south... 6 have tattoos and 2 are planning to get them. When I came to work the day after getting my tattoo, everyone ran up and crowded around to look at it and say nice things about it. One of our front-end developers with has a BAD ASS traditional-style heaven & hell leg sleeve (not sure of the proper term) and one of our designers has an appointment coming up with David Hale.

I've noticed web designers generally get really awesome trad tattoos, and/or really hipster-y type tattoos (owls with top hats, finger mustaches, etc).

i guess I'm lucky... I'm a web designer, tattoos are widely accepted in my industry. One of the biggest and most influential web agencies in the business, R/GA, even made a mini-documentary about people who work there who have tattoos.

I work at a small agency of 17 people in the south... 6 have tattoos and 2 are planning to get them. When I came to work the day after getting my tattoo, everyone ran up and crowded around to look at it and say nice things about it. One of our front-end developers with has a BAD ASS traditional-style heaven & hell leg sleeve (not sure of the proper term) and one of our designers has an appointment coming up with David Hale.

I've noticed web designers generally get really awesome trad tattoos, and/or really hipster-y type tattoos (owls with top hats, finger mustaches, etc).

The term you're looking for is "squid pants"

i've never heard the term squid pants. where does that derive from/what the hell does it mean?

Yeah it was Shawn Porter of OccultVibrations Fame. It was in an old thread, I think it was "terms that drive you crazy" and someone brought up "leg sleeves" ... I can't remember the details. It's just a stupid inside joke of LST.