Tattoos and the workplace

slayer9019

I work in the animation industry as a producer of children's television. I go to work with a stupid punky haircut, bad brains t-shirts, and giant red arrows all over my arms, hand and neck. No one seems to give a shit! Job gets done to excellent standards and I don't actually interact with the children, so all is good!

Interesting update: I just had my annual review with my boss. He said he'd actually like to see expose more of my tattoos as work, as I'm a "creative" (copywriter) and he wants me to feel as comfortable as possible. I mentioned that I keep mostly covered because a lot of the folks in our company are fairly uptight, but he said, "Fuck them."

We'll see how it goes!

Interesting update: I just had my annual review with my boss. He said he'd actually like to see expose more of my tattoos as work, as I'm a "creative" (copywriter) and he wants me to feel as comfortable as possible. I mentioned that I keep mostly covered because a lot of the folks in our company are fairly uptight, but he said, "Fuck them."

Nice boss quote. Consider yourself lucky, @hogg.

I'm a copywriter on a 25+ person creative team and not one of us has visible tattoos. Most regard my in-progress back piece as a novelty. A handful dig it. Not sure what the reception will be if and when I start on my sleeve/chest plate combo. I think my 10+ years here would outweigh any negative perceptions, but you never know. May have to just roll down my shirt sleeves when the time comes. Not fun when it's 110 in the shade.

I work as a brewer and while I'm not certain that wearing long sleeves is disallowed, it generally isn't done for safety reasons. You can't have shirt sleeves caught in motors or mills or conveyors and the like, not to mention the heat of the brewhouse in the summer, so basically if it can't be covered by a t-shirt it will be on display. Plenty of people I work with have visible tattoos and it isn't an issue at all in day to day work. I don't know what they would mean in terms of promotion to management but there is so little upward mobility in the company that I'm not sure it matters that much.

They have hired people with hand and neck tattoos to work the bottling line before so there's always that ad an option if you have job stoppers. Wouldn't want to work that job though.

Well, your job involves beer. That's a lot better than what I deal with on a daily basis. Beer doesn't talk back as much as my clients do.

Grass is greener. Brewing is fine work in many ways (in the context of this thread, the most trouble getting my forearms done in the fall is going to get me is hearing, yet again, my boss talking about how many times he's almost gotten a celtic armband) but it's ultimately just manufacturing regardless of what the final product is. The novelty of working with beer wears off pretty quickly.

@Our Endless Days I would prefer not to make the name of my employer public but if you really want to know you can PM me.

I work in a finance/data analyst role at my current job and my in progress 1/2 sleeve is generally accepted. A few people expressed disapproval by saying they don't like tattoos and would never let their kids get any, but most of my coworkers were begging to see it once they found out I got it. I usually wear long sleeves in the office and occasionally wear t-shirts on Fridays but I am reconsidering wearing t-shirts anymore because I'm only in my mid 20s a feel like I still need to establish my professional image before becoming "the tattooed guy in the office". I'm also sick of hearing about my coworkers' plans to get text tattoos or being asked about the meaning of my work (there is no meaning, I just like it!).

I work in a finance/data analyst role at my current job and my in progress 1/2 sleeve is generally accepted. A few people expressed disapproval by saying they don't like tattoos and would never let their kids get any, but most of my coworkers were begging to see it once they found out I got it. I usually wear long sleeves in the office and occasionally wear t-shirts on Fridays but I am reconsidering wearing t-shirts anymore because I'm only in my mid 20s a feel like I still need to establish my professional image before becoming "the tattooed guy in the office". I'm also sick of hearing about my coworkers' plans to get text tattoos or being asked about the meaning of my work (there is no meaning, I just like it!).

What people don't know about you, can't hurt you. Wear the long sleeves and be the ultra conservative guy. There isn't a person I work with that knows a have any tattoos and I plan on it staying that way. Casual fridays are for the administrative staff....... I've only worn long sleeves once the lines went past short-sleeve coverage. No turning back, this is what I choose when I took it to the next level.

What people don't know about you, can't hurt you. Wear the long sleeves and be the ultra conservative guy. There isn't a person I work with that knows a have any tattoos and I plan on it staying that way. Casual fridays are for the administrative staff....... I've only worn long sleeves once the lines went past short-sleeve coverage. No turning back, this is what I choose when I took it to the next level.

Yep, I've realized its better to have my appearance blend in with everyone else and have the quality of my work get me noticed.

I've been working with people for 20 + years and they got no clue I'm inked at all... I do run into people from work at the gym and beach and its an OMG moment for them.... joke 'em if they can't take a fkcu.

CG

Yep, I've realized its better to have my appearance blend in with everyone else and have the quality of my work get me noticed.

I never looked at work as a place to express myself or be anything more than a damn good employee. From my experience there is a reason that most corporate jobs have a boring dress code is so that the focus is on what you say an do and not how you look. Since only one person I have worked with has ever known I had a tattoo (he only knew about one haha), I have had a good insight to what people think about tattoos. I have had to grit my teeth though they trash talking tattooed folks at the starbucks we go to. I threw out some defensive arguments but I also treat it like talking politics at work...tread lightly. I did laugh when one of them did say "they would never be able to work with us at XYZ Big Corp...oh would they be surprised.

Like I have learned in the past, it's best to leave personal life outside of work. I avoid way more than just tattoos at work. I also avoid any "touchy" subjects or subjects with very varying views. Politics, music, lifestyle-choices, drinking, guns, drugs, and actually a lot of current events. Hell I've heard people spout their opinions that changed my view of them (ultra-ultra-conservative usually). I once got in a little bit of a heated debate over gun laws with some colleges and lets just say it was not appropriate to discuss strong opinions at work (specifically concealed carry) . Learned my lesson.

Is it wrong that I want outdated stereotypes to continue? I look classy as fuck in a suit and hate talking about tattoos with pretty much everyone.

I would say even if tattoos were accepted in the corporate workplace I would still cover them up. Hell I keep em all mostly covered outside of work.

Also I now have a serious hate for suits now that I have to wear them daily. Only big positive is they are the most comfortable clothing for a fresh tattoo. Very airy, cool and a good suit doesn't stick to the tattoo as much. Only downside is I've had a fresh tattoo bleed black ink through my dress shirt in a meeting...woops!

Is it wrong that I want outdated stereotypes to continue? I look classy as fuck in a suit and hate talking about tattoos with pretty much everyone.

Nope. The whole "tattoo acceptance in the workplace" movement (or whatever it is) rubs me the wrong way. Sure, I'd prefer someone judge my work performance on its own merit and not pass me over for a promotion because they know I have tattoos, but i certainly don't expect them to cater to me. Want me to keep my arms covered at work? Cool, you got it. Don't want to hire someone with a throat tattoo? Cool, I'll keep that in mind and weigh how much I want a position with Company X vs. how much I want to tattoo my throat. And when people call it discrimination and compare it to being denied a job due to race or gender or orientation, it REALLY pisses me off. To me tattoos are supposed to be tough and somewhat unaccepted, and every special snowflake expecting to be catered to drives me nuts. It's awesome if you have a job that is cool with your tattoos...my current one happens to be, but if my boss ever asked me to keep my sleeves rolled down, it wouldn't be an issue.

Also, it seems that most of the people clamoring for "tattoo acceptance" have absolute shit tattoos and most people with quality work don't mind covering up when needed.

I am currently in school to be a Dental Hygienist and my tattoos are definitely not welcome :( I usually wear a long sleeve underneath my scrubs or if i'll wear my lab jacket.

But my job is a different story. I am a legal secretary and they don't mind my tattoos AT ALL. Shorts, strapless dresses, t-shirts, flip flops... I don't have to worry about covering them up. Awesome, flexible, warm atmosphere with no issues.

But when I graduate next spring and have to find a job in the Dental Field... I will need to cover them up.

I am currently in school to be a Dental Hygienist and my tattoos are definitely not welcome :( I usually wear a long sleeve underneath my scrubs or if i'll wear my lab jacket.

But my job is a different story. I am a legal secretary and they don't mind my tattoos AT ALL. Shorts, strapless dresses, t-shirts, flip flops... I don't have to worry about covering them up. Awesome, flexible, warm atmosphere with no issues.

But when I graduate next spring and have to find a job in the Dental Field... I will need to cover them up.

Well.... maybe being eye-candy tips the scale in your favor at your current job. Not that I'm knockin' it...

CG

- - - Updated - - -

.... I now have a serious hate for suits now that I have to wear them daily. Only big positive is they are the most comfortable clothing for a fresh tattoo. Very airy, cool and a good suit doesn't stick to the tattoo as much. Only downside is I've had a fresh tattoo bleed black ink through my dress shirt in a meeting...woops!

I had that happen last year, good thing I had on a dark shirt and I was the only one to notice it.

CG