Tattoos and the workplace

slayer9019

Thought this would be good in this thread (the link shows a woman with large tattoos showing when she wears shorts and a tank top, and the same woman dressed conservatively for work with none of the tattoos showing & a short comment under it: "This one's for all the clients that want their tattoos tiny and hidden even though that’s not what’s best for their design idea. When you get the tattoos you want you will tailor your work attire appropriately.")

Dermagraphique: A Tattoo Critique • This ones for all the clients that want their...

Thought this would be good in this thread (the link shows a woman with large tattoos showing when she wears shorts and a tank top' date=' and the same woman dressed conservatively for work with none of the tattoos showing & a short comment under it: "This one's for all the clients that want their tattoos tiny and hidden even though thats not whats best for their design idea. When you get the tattoos you want you will tailor your work attire appropriately.")

Dermagraphique: A Tattoo Critique • This ones for all the clients that want their...

There's another one I saw that shows a doctor at work and at home. Full sleeves...

Thought this would be good in this thread (the link shows a woman with large tattoos showing when she wears shorts and a tank top, and the same woman dressed conservatively for work with none of the tattoos showing & a short comment under it: "This one's for all the clients that want their tattoos tiny and hidden even though that’s not what’s best for their design idea. When you get the tattoos you want you will tailor your work attire appropriately.")

With tattoos I believe in, go big or go home. Just as easy to hide a 1" butterfly as a 10" fu dog on my forearm when I'm dressed for work.

CG

There's another one I saw that shows a doctor at work and at home. Full sleeves...

Is this the one? @DJDeepFried posted that on my mom's FB page, just so she'd know some doctors may be covered in tattoos and she'd never know it, and it doesn't mean they can't save your life. She wrote back something about that would be fine, and then asked if I had put him up to it and talked about what a bad influence I am on him, haha.

I agree with the whole "don't judge a book by it's cover" bit. But it looks like that doctor is doing exactly what most would be, and that is covering up his tattoos when he's at work.

I just got a forearm tattoo. Something that I've wanted to do for years and years, and finally just said "screw it, i'm doing it." I've been in the same company for years, and am very respected for the work I do. Our divisional vp was one of the first to receive the pics from me via text, and he loved it.

However, if I was in a meeting with higher ups that I did not know, I would roll my sleeves down. Pretty simple.

My wife, who is not a tattoo person, but doesn't mind mine, asked me once how a forearm tattoo would help my fare in a job interview. I responded that the fact I was wearing a short sleeve shirt to a job interview would probably hurt me more. It was sarcasm, as I would always wear a suit to a job interview, and no one would see it.

I work at a Sam Goody, one of like 2 left, in San Diego and a lot of us there have tattoos. Both my department manager and my old department lead have tattoos all up there arms and they don't have to cover them up or anything. Thats one of the few things i really like about the company, at least at the store level. In addition we recently hired a friend of mine, and others at the store, who used to work at a tattoo shop and he is covered all the way from the neck & throat to the hands & fingers. As for me personally, I have yet to make the jump past the sleeves of a t-shirt. I feel like it shouldn't make a difference if you have tattoos there in the workplace, because they can easily be covered up. I just don't know if i should because I don't want to hinder my future, kind of hypocritical but I'm sure i'll get work done on the lower arm eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

I currently work as an office clerk, in a privately owned courier company. At first, I was covering up my tattoos, because I wasn't sure of the environment I was stepping into. Now, I still dress business casual, but if I wear a golf shirt, my sleeve is obviously being shown off, and I generally just receive compliments about it, or the progress on it (it is not yet finished). It all depends on the occupation you choose. I would get hands and throat done eventually, but I do not think as a chartered accountant (currently in school for), I would be very respect in that field.

Cheers!

• 2 months later...

From the ages of 23-28 I was doing reservations for shows an all the fancy restaurants on the Las Vegas Strip. The money was good, which allowed me to a ton of traveling and get tattooed.

When I first started the dress code was dress shirt/tie/slacks. They relaxed it down to casual (t-shirts/jeans) and actually saw productivity and moral shoot up, but ya still had to keep your tattoos covered. I didn't mind 'cause I'm a private person and didn't really wanna "show off to my co-workers", (It sucked during the summer, wearing long sleeves, the Vegas summer is hell!) but I had co-workers who would rally against the machine and engage our over-lords about revamping the dress code to allow exposed tattoos, it worked!

An I believe productivity/moral even increased a little more. I was stoked, no more long sleeves during the summer!

Plus, I got to see some of my co-workers tattoos. One dude had both arms sleeved with crop-circles, an each crop circle designed had a specific meaning. I wouldn't say the tattoos were good. but they were hilariously awesome!!!!

I ended up leaving that place cause dealing with shitty tourists all day is lame.

Luckily, I landed at a job that is pretty hip, progressive and forward thinking. (A co-worker friend is transgendered, female to male, an the insurance provided by work is covering his re-assignment surgeries!!)

I can show up in a cowboy hat, tube top, pajama pants and flip flops and get a hi-five from my boss. with that kinda feeling in the work environment, everyone is positive and work gets done and it's a win/win situation.

I just hope in the future more employers will understand : the happier the employee they better they will work

and sometimes being happy at work is just wearing a t-shirt vs. shirt & tie!

From the ages of 23-28 I was doing reservations for shows an all the fancy restaurants on the Las Vegas Strip. The money was good, which allowed me to a ton of traveling and get tattooed.

When I first started the dress code was dress shirt/tie/slacks. They relaxed it down to casual (t-shirts/jeans) and actually saw productivity and moral shoot up, but ya still had to keep your tattoos covered. I didn't mind 'cause I'm a private person and didn't really wanna "show off to my co-workers", (It sucked during the summer, wearing long sleeves, the Vegas summer is hell!) but I had co-workers who would rally against the machine and engage our over-lords about revamping the dress code to allow exposed tattoos, it worked!

An I believe productivity/moral even increased a little more. I was stoked, no more long sleeves during the summer!

Plus, I got to see some of my co-workers tattoos. One dude had both arms sleeved with crop-circles, an each crop circle designed had a specific meaning. I wouldn't say the tattoos were good. but they were hilariously awesome!!!!

I ended up leaving that place cause dealing with shitty tourists all day is lame.

Luckily, I landed at a job that is pretty hip, progressive and forward thinking. (A co-worker friend is transgendered, female to male, an the insurance provided by work is covering his re-assignment surgeries!!)

I can show up in a cowboy hat, tube top, pajama pants and flip flops and get a hi-five from my boss. with that kinda feeling in the work environment, everyone is positive and work gets done and it's a win/win situation.

I just hope in the future more employers will understand : the happier the employee they better they will work

That's great to hear. I will say as an employer, I draw the line at tube-tops. No-one looks good in a tube-top.

Just curious, Hank, but I've never heard of a guy wearing a "tube-top"...how does that work.

As an empoyer, if one of my employees wanted our insurance to pay for a sex-change operation, they'd be down the road. I couldn't care less what a persons sexual proclivities are, but I wouldn't participate in financing them.

Just curious, Hank, but I've never heard of a guy wearing a "tube-top"...how does that work.

As an empoyer, if one of my employees wanted our insurance to pay for a sex-change operation, they'd be down the road. I couldn't care less what a persons sexual proclivities are, but I wouldn't participate in financing them.

In Massachusetts we pay for sex change surgery for inmates serving life in prison for murder.....

I work in a corporate environment. When I first started with this company there was no policy against visible tattoos, I didn't have any visible at the time. About 2 years in the company got bought out by a larger corporation, the dress code changed over night, visible tattoos were no longer acceptable. We have now been bought out a third time by another larger corporation. There is no longer any company policies specifically worded for tattoos visible or otherwise. I have visible tattoos now and have many friends with visible tattoos but all of them are cover-able.

I feel like if you are going to work in a corporate setting its best to keep your ink concealable if possible, you never know when that dress code my change.

I was speaking with one of my co-workers about tattoos a couple of years ago (they have since moved on). He was in a management position and we were discussing tattoos. He told me that in an interview once they had a man that interviewed quite well but when he got up to leave the room they could see the outline of his tattoo through the back of his shirt and that was the reason he got passed over for another equally qualified candidate.

It sucks that it happens but it is still a fact of life that people discriminate against tattooed individuals.

Edited by EzRider
spelling

I work in a corporate environment. When I first started with this company there was no policy against visible tattoos, I didn't have any visible at the time. About 2 years in the company got bought out by a larger corporation, the dress code changed over night, visible tattoos were no longer acceptable. We have now been bought out a third time by another larger corporation. There is no longer any company policies specifically worded for tattoos visible or otherwise. I have visible tattoos now and have many friends with visible tattoos but all of them are cover-able.

I feel like if you are going to work in a corporate setting its best to keep your ink concealable if possible, you never know when that dress code my change.

I was speaking with one of my co-worked about tattoos a couple of years ago (they have since moved on). He was in a management position and we were discussing tattoos. He told me that in an interview once they had a man that interviewed quite well but when he got up to leave the room they could see the outline of his tattoo through the back of his shirt and that was the reason he got passed over for another equally qualified candidate.

It sucks that it happens but it is still a fact of life that people discriminate against tattooed individuals.

That really sucks for that guy. This is also the reason why I have gave up wearing white shirts at work, they show tattoos REALLY easily (plus I always happen to spill coffee on myself).

The way I see it in the proffessional world you are an "asset". Companies choose the best possible asset for the lowest cost. Simple really. When people start to realize this, they will hopefully realize to keep your personal life outside of work (at least for us office types). My clients/coworkers don't know I like metal music, ride motorcycles, have tattoos, hell some don't even know I smoke cigarettes. Why, you may ask, because they are not my friends and it is a "whatever you say can and will be held against you" environment. The less they know the better.

That's great to hear. I will say as an employer, I draw the line at tube-tops. No-one looks good in a tube-top.

Any female applicant 38DD and up... I hire her on the spot if she shows up in a tube top. Keep her around just for the jiggle factor.

Rob

- - - Updated - - -

Jeez... one of my vendors has an employee that did the guy-to-girl thing recently. The vendor had to get on board with the whole deal, counseling for the other workers (on the clock...) as well. It was part of the medical insurance he supplied the employees.

I've known the person in question for maybe 10 years and the scary part... she/he is pretty passable as a female... yikes, would not plow though.

Rob

- - - Updated - - -

That really sucks for that guy. This is also the reason why I have gave up wearing white shirts at work, they show tattoos REALLY easily (plus I always happen to spill coffee on myself).

The way I see it in the proffessional world you are an "asset". Companies choose the best possible asset for the lowest cost. Simple really. When people start to realize this, they will hopefully realize to keep your personal life outside of work (at least for us office types). My clients/coworkers don't know I like metal music, ride motorcycles, have tattoos, hell some don't even know I smoke cigarettes. Why, you may ask, because they are not my friends and it is a "whatever you say can and will be held against you" environment. The less they know the better.

When I buy shirts, I take a good look at them to make my ink won't show through the fabric. White shirts are outski... gotta be careful with the light colored stripes too. Oxfords have good coverage in all colors.

You're right, let your co-workers know as little as possible about your off-work life. This goes for politics as well.

Rob

When I buy shirts, I take a good look at them to make my ink won't show through the fabric. White shirts are outski... gotta be careful with the light colored stripes too. Oxfords have good coverage in all colors.

You're right, let your co-workers know as little as possible about your off-work life. This goes for politics as well.

Rob

Politics....very dangerous in the workplace. The worst damage I've ever seen to a career was after someone made the stupid decision to voice their political stances on some subjects. Hell I almost jumped in (gun politics) but luckily kept quiet.

Even something as easy as saying what car you just picked up can be taken the wrong way. A guy spent (probably more than he could afford) on a fancy new car. People thought he got some big bonus/raise and started the slow, painful death which is office political slander. Corporate world can be brutal and only gets worse as you move up. Damn do I miss my days being an intern when I could do no wrong!

Not saying that my job doesn't have more than its fair share of bullshit and office politics but I am glad as fuck that I don't work in the corporate world.

yea it does have its ups and downs. My particular job ended up being something I do very well but don't really like the subject so I sold out as fast as possible. If you can bury your head in your work like I do, you can easily skip most of the BS.

On a social note I would never be friends with anyone I work with anyway. Not my crowd!

everyone looks good in a tube-top!!!!! jk

- - - Updated - - -

it is kinda of weird thing if you're running your own business and having approve something like that, but where I work It's a pretty large corporation with money an Im all for making things a little weirder around the office!!

I think most of us agree that in most cases having tattoos should not negatively effect a job applicants chance of being hired. But if you were a hiring manager would the quality of a job applicants tattoos effect your decision to hire them?

That's a great question. I think I would judge a person on placement, hands, neck as opposed to the quality. Wouldn't mind having my hands done but I know it's not appropriate and I like having a job. When I look at someone for employment I am probing about their past and the decisions they have made. To me placing a tattoo on the hands or neck without a concern for employment is not a smart decision. So if i am looking for someone who will have direct customer contact I wouldn't hire a person with neck and hand pieces. i would hire that person for a field position that isn't customer facing. When I was having some work done on my forearm I was militant about not going over the "safe zone" of a long sleeve shirt. Think before you ink!