Tattoos and the workplace

slayer9019

I think most of us agree that in most cases having tattoos should not negatively effect a job applicants chance of being hired. But if you were a hiring manager would the quality of a job applicants tattoos effect your decision to hire them?

Hard to say. If they had ridiculous tattoos like the stuff in the worse ever thread, I might not hire them. Not because they are tattooed, but because they are obviously a moron.

That's a great question. I think I would judge a person on placement, hands, neck as opposed to the quality. Wouldn't mind having my hands done but I know it's not appropriate and I like having a job. When I look at someone for employment I am probing about their past and the decisions they have made. To me placing a tattoo on the hands or neck without a concern for employment is not a smart decision. So if i am looking for someone who will have direct customer contact I wouldn't hire a person with neck and hand pieces. i would hire that person for a field position that isn't customer facing. When I was having some work done on my forearm I was militant about not going over the "safe zone" of a long sleeve shirt. Think before you ink!

I think you make sense in your views, but they are fundamentally wrong. In my opinion, the only reason anyone is judged for placement is because of stigma associated with tattoos and criminality. Placement of a tattoo on hands or neck indicates nothing more than someone who is will to display an image that they feel strongly enough to put on their body, in a spot that everyone can see. What is inappropriate about that?

I do realise that later in your post, you go on to say that you would hire them for a non-customer relations position. At least you aknowledge that the person with hand/neck work is still worthy of being employed. But, I think the problem is just that. why is someone worthy of working somewhere and not able to deal with customers because of how they look?

These statements are both partially towards you as a poster and just people in general. The only reason people set visibly tattooed people apart is because of stigma or personal opinion. that personal opinion is also derived from the image that tattoos USED to have. I work in a large tech firm and deal with customers on a weekly basis. While I really like working at this company, I also would not work here if there was a problem with visible tattoos. I have my right arm and hand fully covered. No one, and I mean no one, has ever said anything negative and I only get positive reactions from customers I speak with.

Obviously my company is an exeption when it comes to tattoos and their company policy. We actually do not have a personal dress code policy. Tattoos should NEVER be a factor in whether someone can do a job well or not. A tattoo doesn't change how someone works or who they are. It changes what people think about them. It is a painful joke that people associate visible tattoos with any kind of job ability. The two things are copmpletely seperate.

/rant

P.S. I am not trying to be a mouthy little bastard. I realize this is a topic with strong opinions and I am simply sharing mine. Like anything else, there are two sides to a story.

I think you make sense in your views, but they are fundamentally wrong. In my opinion, the only reason anyone is judged for placement is because of stigma associated with tattoos and criminality. Placement of a tattoo on hands or neck indicates nothing more than someone who is will to display an image that they feel strongly enough to put on their body, in a spot that everyone can see. What is inappropriate about that?

I do realise that later in your post, you go on to say that you would hire them for a non-customer relations position. At least you aknowledge that the person with hand/neck work is still worthy of being employed. But, I think the problem is just that. why is someone worthy of working somewhere and not able to deal with customers because of how they look?

These statements are both partially towards you as a poster and just people in general. The only reason people set visibly tattooed people apart is because of stigma or personal opinion. that personal opinion is also derived from the image that tattoos USED to have. I work in a large tech firm and deal with customers on a weekly basis. While I really like working at this company, I also would not work here if there was a problem with visible tattoos. I have my right arm and hand fully covered. No one, and I mean no one, has ever said anything negative and I only get positive reactions from customers I speak with.

Obviously my company is an exeption when it comes to tattoos and their company policy. We actually do not have a personal dress code policy. Tattoos should NEVER be a factor in whether someone can do a job well or not. A tattoo doesn't change how someone works or who they are. It changes what people think about them. It is a painful joke that people associate visible tattoos with any kind of job ability. The two things are copmpletely seperate.

/rant

P.S. I am not trying to be a mouthy little bastard. I realize this is a topic with strong opinions and I am simply sharing mine. Like anything else, there are two sides to a story.

I appreciate your response and passion. I bet there are a few years between you and I. Hopefully with time and people with an attitude like yours a paradigm shift will occur. We say don't judge a book by its cover, but how many do that with everything they deal with? When you decide to make a statement, such as visible tattoos (I'm talking uncoverable ones) you need to also live with whatever opinion is made of you. Like it or not, people will judge you. Both my arms are full, I am treated differently with long sleeves and short. Not all the time but there are those times. At my place of work I stand alone and adhere to the culture of the business. I love tattoos but I have to provide for my family and I don't see a future with tattoos and the workplace for me. My job isn't my life it's what I do to provide for my family now and well into the future. Generation Y has a different view on what the workplace means to them and will change employers or careers to suit them. Like you, the job needs to fit into lifestyle and I'm from a different mind-set. Good luck to you on changing this misconception, it's bold to be different and put your money where your mouth is.

Tattoos should NEVER be a factor in whether someone can do a job well or not. A tattoo doesn't change how someone works or who they are. It changes what people think about them. It is a painful joke that people associate visible tattoos with any kind of job ability. The two things are copmpletely seperate.

I used to work in the financial services industry as a pension planner. Most of our clients were wealthy, older white men whose asses were so tight they squeaked. I can tell you that a function of some jobs is instilling confidence in the client. I did not have tattoos then, but I am 99.9999% certain that many of our clients would not have done business with the company if I had hand, face, neck or visible tattoos. It's not just about what YOU think, it's about what your clients think.

- - - Updated - - -

Tattoos should NEVER be a factor in whether someone can do a job well or not. A tattoo doesn't change how someone works or who they are. It changes what people think about them. It is a painful joke that people associate visible tattoos with any kind of job ability. The two things are copmpletely seperate.

I used to work in the financial services industry as a pension planner. Most of our clients were wealthy, older white men whose asses were so tight they squeaked. I can tell you that a function of some jobs is instilling confidence in the client. I did not have tattoos then, but I am 99.9999% certain that many of our clients would not have done business with the company if I had hand, face, neck or visible tattoos. It's not just about what YOU think, it's about what your clients think.

Hard to say. If they had ridiculous tattoos like the stuff in the worse ever thread, I might not hire them. Not because they are tattooed, but because they are obviously a moron.

haha sadly, i agree with this. if i were a hiring manager, and someone came to an interview with visibly well done tattoos, and had all the experience and skills necessary for what i was hiring for, i wouldn't give a shit.

I appreciate your response and passion. I bet there are a few years between you and I. Hopefully with time and people with an attitude like yours a paradigm shift will occur. We say don't judge a book by its cover, but how many do that with everything they deal with? When you decide to make a statement, such as visible tattoos (I'm talking uncoverable ones) you need to also live with whatever opinion is made of you. Like it or not, people will judge you. Both my arms are full, I am treated differently with long sleeves and short. Not all the time but there are those times. At my place of work I stand alone and adhere to the culture of the business. I love tattoos but I have to provide for my family and I don't see a future with tattoos and the workplace for me. My job isn't my life it's what I do to provide for my family now and well into the future. Generation Y has a different view on what the workplace means to them and will change employers or careers to suit them. Like you, the job needs to fit into lifestyle and I'm from a different mind-set. Good luck to you on changing this misconception, it's bold to be different and put your money where your mouth is.

There most definetaly is a huge difference between someone in my position(single, 25 years old) and yours(you have a family and other obligations). Even for someone from my generation, my view on employers and jobs is pretty radical. Part of my reasons for visible tattoos is to do my part to help change popular opinion. I am a hard working person with strong values and goals in life. Anyone that knows me, knows that the visible tattoos are an extension of my personality and it is part of my mission in life. I want all people to not be judged at all. As long as you are equal to or better than the next person, no one has a right to tell you you can or can't do something.

The funny part in all this....I am typing this from work. I probably couldn't afford internet to have my opinion heard without my job...

I know that there are things that are a higher priority for some people than making a statement with visible tattoos. I made a decision that no matter if I had to live in a box and starve, I still wanted visible tattoos. I extend that same passion to everything I do.

- - - Updated - - -

There most definetaly is a huge difference between someone in my position(single, 25 years old) and yours(you have a family and other obligations). Even for someone from my generation, my view on employers and jobs is pretty radical. Part of my reasons for visible tattoos is to do my part to help change popular opinion. I am a hard working person with strong values and goals in life. Anyone that knows me, knows that the visible tattoos are an extension of my personality and it is part of my mission in life. I want all people to not be judged at all. As long as you are equal to or better than the next person, no one has a right to tell you you can or can't do something.

The funny part in all this....I am typing this from work. I probably couldn't afford internet to have my opinion heard without my job...

I know that there are things that are a higher priority for some people than making a statement with visible tattoos. I made a decision that no matter if I had to live in a box and starve, I still wanted visible tattoos. I extend that same passion to everything I do.

- - - Updated - - -

I used to work in the financial services industry as a pension planner. Most of our clients were wealthy, older white men whose asses were so tight they squeaked. I can tell you that a function of some jobs is instilling confidence in the client. I did not have tattoos then, but I am 99.9999% certain that many of our clients would not have done business with the company if I had hand, face, neck or visible tattoos. It's not just about what YOU think, it's about what your clients think

- - - Updated - - -

You are completely correct that it is what people think about you that matters. The problem is, if people never buck the trend, thinking will never change. It takes people saying "You know what, It doesn't matter what you think about me" to change what other people think. As long as people continue to have a problem with tattoos there will be people who get visibly tattooed to change their mind.

In a real life scenario... Being visibly tattooed SHOULD never be a job factor. I realize that sometime you need the business of someone that would not approve of it. In my opinion if you are part of a company that requires the finances of an ignorant person, then you are part of the wrong company. I choose to support entities that positively support tattoos as much as I can.

It's nice when you are in a position to pick and choose. In this economy most of us are more concerned with keeping our jobs than in choosing clients that agree with our views on tattoos.

Point taken. Being a fairly young, low obligation person, makes it much easier for me to do those things. The other part of my response would be to stress the "as much as I can" part of what I said.

Ah well...

So. I thnk I'm the oldest one posting here, and I've been an employer for 17 years now, and before that, a foreman and manager for another 10.

I hired an old partner of mine to work a trade show last year. Did I say a "trade show"? Let me rephrase. I hired him to man a booth at the largest industrial exhibition in the world, for 8 days. The job was to be in the booth, hand out flyers and like that, talk to people, get names and phone numbers, all that good stuff.

My partner has work pretty much all over his body, with the exception of his face. He has a second face tattooed on the back of his head, his neck is covered, his hands are both covered down to the nail, and 99% of the work is jailhouse. Well-done jailhouse, but jailhouse nonetheless.

DIdn't hear a bit of negatory feedback.

The industry I'm in has always been a tad more open to new things than most...pretty much, if you've got the stones to rock it in a machine shop, hey-go for it. There are exceptions, of course, and I can tell stories about customers banning me from shops, or kicking my co-workers out of field-sites because they didn't like the tattoos/beards/hair/clothes/whatever, but that's really in the minority. Even when calling on GM, Boeing, Cincinnati-Milacron, places like that, as long as you wore the uniform-suit and tie-you were good to go. Didn't matter if you had work that was visible from under the cuffs, as mine is, as long as you had that tie.

Now, hell, I don't even think about it when I go out somewhere, and that's usually in a short-sleeve, open-necked shirt.

But would I mind if someone else was like that?

I gotta admit, if I went into my lawyers office, and found out I was laying out four bills an hour for a slacker in ratty jeans and a tattooed face, I would probably not go back.

I know a good number of people who have work, a lot of it pretty radical, on their faces, heads, necks, and hands. I personally don't find the oak leaves and feathers around the eyes and down the cheeks to be a very professional touch, more like the equivalent of ratty jeans. Just my opinion.

At that, I would say yeah, great to try to see everyone treated equally, but you have to be realistic to a degree as well. If you plan on EVER doing anything that is a traditional "white-shoe" type of thing, I'd pass on the face and hands.

But that's just me.

Ah well...

So. I thnk I'm the oldest one posting here, and I've been an employer for 17 years now, and before that, a foreman and manager for another 10.

I hired an old partner of mine to work a trade show last year. Did I say a "trade show"? Let me rephrase. I hired him to man a booth at the largest industrial exhibition in the world, for 8 days. The job was to be in the booth, hand out flyers and like that, talk to people, get names and phone numbers, all that good stuff.

My partner has work pretty much all over his body, with the exception of his face. He has a second face tattooed on the back of his head, his neck is covered, his hands are both covered down to the nail, and 99% of the work is jailhouse. Well-done jailhouse, but jailhouse nonetheless.

DIdn't hear a bit of negatory feedback.

The industry I'm in has always been a tad more open to new things than most...pretty much, if you've got the stones to rock it in a machine shop, hey-go for it. There are exceptions, of course, and I can tell stories about customers banning me from shops, or kicking my co-workers out of field-sites because they didn't like the tattoos/beards/hair/clothes/whatever, but that's really in the minority. Even when calling on GM, Boeing, Cincinnati-Milacron, places like that, as long as you wore the uniform-suit and tie-you were good to go. Didn't matter if you had work that was visible from under the cuffs, as mine is, as long as you had that tie.

Now, hell, I don't even think about it when I go out somewhere, and that's usually in a short-sleeve, open-necked shirt.

But would I mind if someone else was like that?

I gotta admit, if I went into my lawyers office, and found out I was laying out four bills an hour for a slacker in ratty jeans and a tattooed face, I would probably not go back.

I know a good number of people who have work, a lot of it pretty radical, on their faces, heads, necks, and hands. I personally don't find the oak leaves and feathers around the eyes and down the cheeks to be a very professional touch, more like the equivalent of ratty jeans. Just my opinion.

At that, I would say yeah, great to try to see everyone treated equally, but you have to be realistic to a degree as well. If you plan on EVER doing anything that is a traditional "white-shoe" type of thing, I'd pass on the face and hands.

But that's just me.

My dad is a street dude. Born and raised in Brooklyn, in and out of jail, but cleaned himself up and managed to start a very successful carpentry business in Manhattan. Dude has both of his arms tattooed. When I started getting tattooed, he incessantly tried to stop me from getting them. From what he knows and is used to, only hoodlums such as himself got tattooed. When I worked for my dad for a little bit, I had pretty long hair, but no tattoos. My dad made me cut my hair if I wanted to continue working for him. He had gotten several complaints from his clients that I looked like a homeless, bum. Mind you, I was a college kid at this point. As much as people would like to think that others will treat you with respect based on your character and not based on your appearance, people don’t always do that, sadly. People judge others based on appearance still. tattoos have become much less taboo with our generation, but there is still a negative connotation attached to them.

As Dan S. said, if you have aspirations to have some sort of white-collared job, I’d steer clear of tattoos on the hands, neck and face. When I walk around my office with my sleeves rolled up, I get looks sometimes, but overall I’ve never had a problem, primarily because I adhere with the dress code of my office. You can tell that there are definitely people that are uncomfortable with them. I had one dude tell me he thinks it’s rude that someone would walk around in a professional setting with tattoos show. Dude’s a turd, though, so it wasn’t really a surprise. One dude I work with has a very small tattoo in that little ditch between his pointer finger and thumb. Other than that, we’re the only two dudes tattooed.

To be honest, I’m not a fan of having tattoos that you’re unable to hide. There are times when I don’t want people bugging and bothering me about my tattoos. Plus, I like the idea that, if I’m wearing long sleeves and pants, no one would know I have any tattoos. However, I totally understand the appeal and desire people have for them.

Anyway, the jist of what I’m trying to say is I think Dan S. is on point.

When i was younger i worried about it, now im in my mid 40's and really dont care, but back even 20 years ago, people frowned on tats?

- - - Updated - - -

When i was younger i worried about it, now im in my mid 40's and really dont care, but back even 20 years ago, people frowned on tats?

Today was my first day back to work after a 12 day vacation, during which I had my hand tattooed. I wore a Lycra material wrist support thing I found at the drug store. Flesh toned, pretty soft, and no finger holes; completely open at the knuckles. It hid the top of my hand perfectly and after a bit I didn't even feel it.

No one noticed. Not one question or comment. Since I always wear long sleeves at work it helps cause the sleeves hang low onto my hands. To be certain though, prior to leaving for my vacation I printed our current personal appearance policy and date stamped it. At the very moment I had my hand tattooed I was within policy (cover it). I know for certain no one has a hand tattoo. So, if they eventually find out, freak, and re-write the policy to ban hand tattoos entirely, I will be grandfathered in and OK. Gotta love being in a union.

I want all people to not be judged at all.

And I want to live in this great utopia, with world peace, where the lion lay with the lamb, and we all get magical blowjobs from the heavens, but it doesn't mean it's going to happen any time soon.

As long as you are equal to or better than the next person, no one has a right to tell you you can or can't do something.

Actually, everyone has the right to tell you that, but you also have the right to tell them to stuff it. You makes your choices, and you lives with the consequences.

Actually, everyone has the right to tell you that, but you also have the right to tell them to stuff it. You makes your choices, and you lives with the consequences.

Yep, Heinlein said it best:-

Ah, yes, the 'unalienable rights.' Each year someone quotes that magnificent poetry. Life? What 'right' to life has a man who is drowning in the Pacific? The ocean will not hearken to his cries.

I think the fundamental problem is that people associate tattoos with something they are not...criminality, being a slacker, bad work ethic. I can totally agree that IF you plan on working in a white-collar profession that hands and face are not smart. However, it takes people defying that trend to make it acceptable. I have yet to hear anyone say why you can't have facial/neck/hand work and do any job the same as someone without. The problem is completely with opinion and the opinion is rooted in stigma that is just plain bullshit.

- - - Updated - - -

And I want to live in this great utopia, with world peace, where the lion lay with the lamb, and we all get magical blowjobs from the heavens, but it doesn't mean it's going to happen any time soon.

Why so pessimistic my man? Why not want an ideal situation? If you never aspire to change something, it will never change. If everyone just sticks with the attitude you seem to have, nothing would ever change.

Aspirations are great, Brock, and no one should ever lose them. At the same time, we need to deal with the reality of life as it is.

The problem with things like facial tattoos is that you don't know where you're going to end-up in life. You may be perfectly happy in a low-stress envirinment now, but someday daown the road you might decide to go for some more money, and that might lead to more responsibility, and that might lead to that suit and tie. It can happen. And it's rough not being able to buy things for your kids because you're topped-out in your salary-range for your field.

And I should mention that I do have a tattoo on the back of my hand, it is visible, and sure, I've lost-out on a few things because of being tattooed over the years...but it was my choice to do it, so it's all on me.

Point taken. Being a fairly young, low obligation person, makes it much easier for me to do those things. The other part of my response would be to stress the "as much as I can" part of what I said.

Enjoy this time of your life. When I was young I wanted to be a rock star. I played up and down the east coast and it was one of the best times of my life. I have memories I wouldn't trade for a million dollars. I love my life now too, so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Dan S. dropping some knowledge. If you're in a position where you can get tattoos that are uncoverable, and it doesn't affect your ability to make the kind of money that you want to make, hell yeah.

As others have said, you need to be realistic and realize that we live in a world where you will still be judged based on your appearance, and that having a tattoo on your hand, face, or neck could be looked at negatively by some people. i mean we still live in a country where people are religious freaks, don't believe in global warming, and think that the world is going to end next month. if you don't think you can still be judged for having tattoos, you may need to reconsider that thought.

the reason people associate tattoos with criminality, was because for a very long time that was one of the biggest demographics of individuals that got tattoos. now, i'm not saying regular folks didn't get tattoos, but tattoos were definitely something linked to hoodlums, just as i mentioned with my dad. obviously, that has drastically changed with our generation, but that was the case when my dad was a youngen.

Enjoy this time of your life. When I was young I wanted to be a rock star. I played up and down the east coast and it was one of the best times of my life. I have memories I wouldn't trade for a million dollars. I love my life now too, so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Cheers to you and those memories! That is what life is about. As long as you are happy...you have done well.

Aspirations are great, Brock, and no one should ever lose them. At the same time, we need to deal with the reality of life as it is.

The problem with things like facial tattoos is that you don't know where you're going to end-up in life. You may be perfectly happy in a low-stress envirinment now, but someday daown the road you might decide to go for some more money, and that might lead to more responsibility, and that might lead to that suit and tie. It can happen. And it's rough not being able to buy things for your kids because you're topped-out in your salary-range for your field.

And I should mention that I do have a tattoo on the back of my hand, it is visible, and sure, I've lost-out on a few things because of being tattooed over the years...but it was my choice to do it, so it's all on me.

So far, I have not been treated differently for being visibly tattooed. I understand that it WILL happen, and it may be at the worst possible time for me. I understand that life changes and maybe someday I need more money or a different job to support my family. When I made the choice to get visibly tattooed(which I will continue to do), I made the choice knowing full well that I may severely limit my future abilities. I am ok with that. The ability to be visually different from people and not be treated in an ill manner is part of why I chose to do this. I want to be a person that can say that I did what I wanted during my life and be happy about it when I look back. This is something I want and will always want so I did it. Different generations and different people have different priorities. Mine may not focus as much on stability as yours...thats a product of our positions in life.

- - - Updated - - -

Dan S. dropping some knowledge. If you're in a position where you can get tattoos that are uncoverable, and it doesn't affect your ability to make the kind of money that you want to make, hell yeah.

As others have said, you need to be realistic and realize that we live in a world where you will still be judged based on your appearance, and that having a tattoo on your hand, face, or neck could be looked at negatively by some people. i mean we still live in a country where people are religious freaks, don't believe in global warming, and think that the world is going to end next month. if you don't think you can still be judged for having tattoos, you may need to reconsider that thought.

the reason people associate tattoos with criminality, was because for a very long time that was one of the biggest demographics of individuals that got tattoos. now, i'm not saying regular folks didn't get tattoos, but tattoos were definitely something linked to hoodlums, just as i mentioned with my dad. obviously, that has drastically changed with our generation, but that was the case when my dad was a youngen.

I know that I can and will be judged for my tattoos. I am fine with it. My hope is that by people seeing the kind of person I am and the strong character I have, that they can start to de-link tattoos from bad people in their minds. Dan is completely correct in everything he said...you also make good points. Hopefully I never need to find myself in a position where I would regret visible tattoos. If I do though, I will know that it is a choice I made and a choice that I will deal with.

Man, I have posted this elsewhere, but I work as a professor and I keep my tattoos covered at all times at work (and have not gone onto visible spots like forearms, calves, etc. yet so that it's easy to cover up). As a woman who looks pretty young for her age, it is already really difficult to have my students and colleagues take me seriously as an "authority" in what I do, and so I am very careful to make sure my appearance makes me fit in and look as "professorial" as I can. I always joke that once I have the requisite grey hair required to make me look more like a professor, maybe I'll start flashing my tattoos in class :)

That said, I noticed this morning that one of my grad students got a little tattoo on her thumb! I assumed it was fake and chatted her up about it, and it turns out it's real, which got us into a conversation about tattoo geekery, which led to my confessing my own obsession with tattoos. Obviously the students that took part in this conversation were kind of wowed by this sudden admission that their straight-laced prof spends her downtime in tattoo shops, but I am regretting the interaction a bit now! I feel like I just opened some floodgates. Eep.

Hahaha it depends on the campus - my university is tiny and very conservative, so I imagine it's different than teaching at, say, Berkeley or something.

That said, colleges campuses are definitely looser in the sense that there don't tend to be dress codes at all, but like I said, we end up policing ourselves based on how it is helpful to be perceived. If I didn't already struggle to have people take me seriously as a prof (I look about the same age as my students, and at least once a week someone--an admin, student, other prof, whatever--will literally NOT BELIEVE ME when I tell them I teach here) I would probably be more open to showing my tattoos. But as it is, this whole "you don't look like a professor" think already means I have to fight to be taken seriously, which makes it that much harder to do my job, etc.

I do have really close relationships with some of our grad students, though, so I am down with testing the waters of being more open and "myself" around them, although they are a very tight knit and gossipy group so by now I am sure the entire program has heard about how Prof S has a backpiece or whatever. :) (I recently found out the students have a fucking private FB group where they gossip about the program! Terrifying.)

...Different generations and different people have different priorities. Mine may not focus as much on stability as yours...thats a product of our positions in life.

It's not generational, trust me. When I was 25, I was riding all over the country, raising hell and partying hard-that's what 25 year olds of ANY generation do. Stability doesn't much enter into it as something to be acquired so much as something that is thrust on you by events. If, for any reason, you have kids somewhere down the line, you'll dig where I'm coming from.

Visible tattooing...now that's pretty subjective. Unless I'm wearing a neck to toe full body suit, you're seeing my tattoos. I think a few different levels should be distinguished. The first level would be the person that has, say, a tattoo on a forearm. Easliy covered, dirt common, no big deal for anyone. Next would be the person that has extensive coverage on the arms. Still easily covered, still pretty durn common, and still not an issue. Then there are those with full-sleeves. Even then, it isn't that uncommon, and can be hidden if necessary. Won't even bother talking about the torso, cause you're only going to be showing that work on purpose.

So that leaves the next "class", people with work on their necks. This is where you're going to start getting looks, but still, it really isn't all that uncommon. There is a matter of degree here, too. Someone with a smaller work on their neck probably won't experience the negativity that someone with their entire neck wrapped in ink will.

Hands? That's next up. Traditionally hands have been the province of convicts, bikers, sailors, or other ne'er do wells. People still see them that way, but I don't think it's a big, insurmountable thing. IT may inconvenience you a bit here and there, but I don't believe they would be too limiting.

Now. The face. REAL visible tattooing. I'm gonna part company with you on this one, because the only facial tattooing I can see any reason for is teardrops, and I don't think you're that kinda guy! Seriously, once you put ink on your face, you've pretty well screwed the pooch for any type of serious gig.

And that isn't necessarily bad.

What is bad is your age. You're gonna tattoo your face when you still have so much other room left? I know I'm not in the mainstream on this one, but personally, I look a little sideways at people who have faces/necks/hands, like that, all covered, with no other work. I'm sure it's just my own personal predjudices, but it seems to me that they are trying a wee little bit too hard.