Tattoos and the workplace

slayer9019

I currently work in security. I wear a full suit (and tie) to work. The only time you can yell I have tattoos is if I reach up high for something and my sleeve falls a little. I realize I will never be able to wear short sleeves at this job. But once I'm done with school I'll be in social work and my teachers and others that I know tell me tattoos are very widely accepted in this field. It can even help some clients trust you a little easier knowing your tatted. Like highschool kids or families.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk now Free

Apparently, in the late 90s he just happened to walk into Ed Hardy's Tattoo City and ended up getting a crawling panther from Tim Lehi when he was working there. He said at the time he had no idea who Ed Hardy was or anything.....Anyways, the tattoo is pretty rad and it blows my mind that there are so many people out there who just stumble into getting amazing tattoos with no idea that the artist might be one of the most well known and respected in the world, meanwhile, I (and probably lots of others on this forum) spend hours and hours and hours looking up artists in different cities, traveling 10+ hours in a single day (some of you are flying halfway across the world) just to get tattooed by these very same artists.

to me that's the cool part of actually leaving the house, going to a shop and seeing what's out there. so many people are timid or worried about getting some "mindblowing" piece from someone who's got a waiting list and a ton of internet recommendations that they never take a chance. it's one of the coolest things about tattooing that so many people are missing out on. you'd be surprised at how many amazing tattooers have zero internet presence and are close by but it seems like many folks would rather do whats easier and safe.

to me that's the cool part of actually leaving the house, going to a shop and seeing what's out there. so many people are timid or worried about getting some "mindblowing" piece from someone who's got a waiting list and a ton of internet recommendations that they never take a chance. it's one of the coolest things about tattooing that so many people are missing out on. you'd be surprised at how many amazing tattooers have zero internet presence and are close by but it seems like many folks would rather do whats easier and safe.

And don't forget the 'likes' on Instagram.

This for sure. I just talked to a friend of mine that got 2 shit tattoos because he was afraid to go to a "big shop" aka the place I do. It took a long phone conversation to convince him the tattooers are people too and to just come with me when I get tattooed. Hell I even offered to walk him to three other shops I like in the area. Maybe it's just me living through him because I am locked into two huge tattoos. Most of the fun is all pre and post tattoo. Actually getting tattooed sucks

I definitely was one of those people who didn't venture out for my first few tattoos and the quality really lacked in fact I am undergoing laser at the moment. But since then I have found some great artists in Austin TX and the shop Oliver Peck works at isnt too far from me. Alot of times now when I go into get tattooed if I cant really hold a conversation or the artist dosen't really connect with my idea I don't usually go through with it.

I work in a call center where no one cares how covered in tattoos you are. That being said, I'm refraining from getting my hands, neck and forearms tattooed. Whenever I get a different job I don't want to be held back by any discrimination against my appearance. Though the forearms I'm just saving until I've gained a good amount of weight, give myself a bigger canvas.

I live and work in China and got my first tattoo here this summer. Although more popular with younger generations, in China tattoos carry a much stronger stigma than in the west and are associated with prisons, crime and lack of education, in a much more narrow view than in other countries/cultures. I started a full sleeve and and the general response of my Chinese colleagues in the office (I'm Caucasian) was one of total silence, except for two younger girls, who asked if it hurt and said it was cool.

Old ladies in the bus are scared of me now.

Man I'm such a badass.

I live and work in China and got my first tattoo here this summer. Although more popular with younger generations, in China tattoos carry a much stronger stigma than in the west and are associated with prisons, crime and lack of education, in a much more narrow view than in other countries/cultures. I started a full sleeve and and the general response of my Chinese colleagues in the office (I'm Caucasian) was one of total silence, except for two younger girls, who asked if it hurt and said it was cool.

Old ladies in the bus are scared of me now.

Man I'm such a badass.

Yea in NYC you generally get the opposite reaction. People are more likely to just walk up and talk to you.

I haven't had many jobs yet because I like the look of longevity on my resume, but I have yet to work in a place that is even generally accepting of tattoos. I have three and while none are visible, my minimally "hard" outward appearance (gauged earrings, rockabilly look) is usually enough to give people the wrong impression. I am a head infant teacher in a daycare, and it took a good 6 months before both parents and my bosses saw past everything on the outside and realized that I am truly capable and responsible enough to help care for 8 babies (not to mention I helped two be born last year as a birth coach outside of work and school), and that my Business Management A.O.S. proves that I know about more than just heavy metal and such. I am planning a sleeve for next year that I'm sure I'll be buying long sleeves for, but I don't plan to be in the child care business much longer. I've realized that it is so much more important to do what you're meant to do, rather than be subjected to the stares and hushed whispers of those with narrow minds.

I worked at a retirement home for almost three years, waitressing. Halfway through I got two very visible arm tattoos done, and there was no problem. Several other people had very visible tattoos also. Also, a lot of the residents asked about it and I only received one or two negative responses as a result.

Anyway, I have since quit that job to go to school full time, and am interning at a different retirement home. I don't know their guidelines as far as tattoos but I'm keeping mine covered up just to be on the safe side. Also, I am majoring in gerontology so the chances of me having to cover up for my careers are pretty high. No biggie though.

email to my boss this morning:

"Yes I still need to be out on Thursday. Sorry for having so many odd days off this month. Hopefully I won’t have another one of these odd days off pop up in my calendar until January/February."

i feel bad about being so vague because he probably thinks i have a serious medical issue but i don't feel like explaining tattoos to him.

email to my boss this morning:

"Yes I still need to be out on Thursday. Sorry for having so many odd days off this month. Hopefully I won’t have another one of these odd days off pop up in my calendar until January/February."

i feel bad about being so vague because he probably thinks i have a serious medical issue but i don't feel like explaining tattoos to him.

Yes! My tattoo appts = doctor appts at my job haha "Yes, I have to leave early to go to the doctor in NYC and no, I will not be back as the appointment is 4 hours long...."

I put on my work calendar - appt. with dr. Tseronis. I'm not sure what they hell they think since most of my appointments are all dayers. For once political correctness is my friend - it would be bad manners to ask the nature of my illness. I guess I could say that I'm sick of all this uncovered skin!

I put on my work calendar - appt. with dr. Tseronis. I'm not sure what they hell they think since most of my appointments are all dayers. For once political correctness is my friend - it would be bad manners to ask the nature of my illness. I guess I could say that I'm sick of all this uncovered skin!

Yea my buddy and I have used dr. appointment excuse. Nobody ever checks. If they do just say something gross

I work in a Preschool and many of us have tattoos. One of our members has small visible tattoos and its never been an issue with staff or parents. People were surprised when I walked in off duty and they saw my tattoo on my back . Mine are covered 99 % of the time. I guess because most of the parents have tattoos - that's why its never been an issue at my work?? But tattoos are everywhere these days - most of the local grocery store staff have visible ink, bar staff, bank staff.... the list goes on.

I'm an accountant at a very large firm... Visible tattoos aren't specifically spoken about as a huge no no.... But everyone knows the deal. Even though tattoos may be really acceptable in mainstream culture, we still aren't there in the business world. I keep them covered at work. On my off time I'm tattoos blazing and if someone sees it then so be it

• 3 months later...

I'm bumping this thread because I recently had a conversation with a coworker that I always seem to struggle with...

I work at a local branch of a large non-profit organization (trying hard not to reveal where I work! haha) and when we volunteer at outside events we have to wear the same t-shirt design or at least a shirt with our "brand". Anyway... I asked if they have anymore long sleeve shirts because they are easier for me to hide my tattoos when working an event. (My coworkers and supervisors know I have tattoos, and it has been discussed that they are fine with them. In the summer I'm able to wear t-shirts in the office, which is great!)

Anyway, one of my coworkers asks why I'm concerned about covering them at events? I replied with "I think it's unprofessional, and I don't like the negative attention I sometimes get." To which she replied, "Then don't get tattooed."

I tried to reiterate my point by saying that while I generally don't care how people feel, I have been disrespected in public for my tattoos and the last thing I want is for them to jeopardize my ability to network with outside agencies and damage my professional appearance.

However, the conversation kept reverting to "Then don't get tattooed."

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I shouldn't care if they show while out and about at work events. But I feel like I'm not abnormal for wanting to have tattoos, yet knowing when to be modest, yet still not giving a shit about what people think.

Because I don't care, but I do... when it may alter someone's judgement of my professional abilities...

There has been a lot of discussion about tattoos and the workplace and I know most agree to cover up when in a professional setting, but how do you walk the fine line between work and everything else? Do you ever feel like you're being untrue to your commitment to being "a tattooed person" by hiding them sometimes? I don't know why but I keep coming back to these conversations and this conundrum... Just seeking a small discussion on the matter.

I feel like most of us put on a kind of 'public face' or 'professional face' when we work anyway, whether we have tattoos or not. We all know that some people seem completely different outside of the workplace.

I do cover up my tattoos with a suit and tie, but sometimes that's a smaller act of concealment than the minding of P's and Q's that goes on, and the careful way people present themselves.

There has been a lot of discussion about tattoos and the workplace and I know most agree to cover up when in a professional setting, but how do you walk the fine line between work and everything else? Do you ever feel like you're being untrue to your commitment to being "a tattooed person" by hiding them sometimes? I don't know why but I keep coming back to these conversations and this conundrum... Just seeking a small discussion on the matter.

My $0.02: Those of us here may not judge people negatively for having tattoos (obviously!), but the reality is, some people do. I think it's your right to present yourself the way you wish -- if you want to cover up and not have to deal with any repercussions from those people who might judge you, especially when it comes to your livelihood, you can. It doesn't mean you're not proud of your work or happy to be tattooed; it means you have a grasp on what it means to live in the real world, where there are people of all kinds, and consequences that aren't always "fair."