Tattoos and the workplace

slayer9019

Sounds like your boss was kinda pissed, though. It's one reason I'm kinda glad to be laid off right now, I don't have to be requesting off to keep my appointments (to clarify, I paid for all my tattoos out of my tax refund before I got laid off, and my wife and I have other money coming in as well as her paychecks, so I'm not spending money that would otherwise be going to bills on tattoos. We agreed on how to divide our tax refund between the two of us, and she knew that I'd be spending my half on tattoos). But I hope you didn't get on anyone's radar bro. In my experience, even if they didn't specifically warn you that you might be in trouble, they might be keeping an eye on you. Little mistakes you make here and there can eventually add up to an excuse to get rid of you. I'm not saying your job is like that, some aren't and I hope for your sake that yours isn't. Just keep it in mind and maybe try, if you can, to make tattoo appointments after work hours. I know it's not always possible though. I have an appointment tomorrow that if I were working, I would have had to request off for. I probably would have worn a long sleeved shirt to work till the weekend, and came back on Monday and said I got it on Saturday. Thankfully though, I don't have to go through all that lol. Either way, I hope you got a stellar tattoo that you're completely happy with.

I've been on both sides of that fence @exume but being the boss definitely made it easier! It also helps that most of the kids that used to work for me liked good tattoos and would give plenty of notice unless a super short guest spot or something opened up. I'm pretty sure over summer at least one shift a week would be covered cause someone was getting tattooed. I realize this flexibility (it's a pretty small business) is not common for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife works in Human Resources, and she only has 2 "visible" tattoos 1 other big one depending on the shoes she wears (top of foot), but she's only had one job that made her cover up the very small Chinese writing on the underside of her wrists.

She has a friend though that worked at a restaurant in Florida that made her cover up. Which I found odd as I've worked in the food industry and been around restaurants for 30 years and don't think I've ever seen someone have to cover a tattoo.

I am going into the medical field and I've already checked the policy of tattoos at the University Med Center I'll be attending, and they have to be covered. I've read from a lot of people in the field that it's harder in medical school with tattoos than it is to get a job in the medical field with them.

Part if me says if you don't have to cover and you do anyways because you're scared of how you'll be viewed, maybe you should reconsider getting tattoos, on the other hand if you cover in certain situations related to improving your professional career that's ok I guess, but as I grow a little older I'm at the point where I do want to work for companies/people that hold my personal choices and beliefs higher than my ability. Also if your appearance is louder then your ability to do your job, maybe working harder is in order, not only will you look better but you could spare someone else some discrimination. As far as tattoos being a secret, if you feel that way, go get them removed.

Let me elaborate, being tattooed doesn't buy you into any secret club, maybe decades ago, but not now. Acting as though the ability to wear tattoos or get tattoos makes us special only makes it easier to be discriminated against, nothing to hide here.

Good thread, I have a little more to add but not so much time so quickly: @TrixieFaux I've cut up opaque black stockings and slipped them on my forearms so that they cover what 3/4 sleeves etc don't - super quick fix when you're in a jam, and bc they are form fitting you don't really worry about them slipping off or being bulky.

Edit: I cut them to just above the elbow - don't know about the staying power from the shoulder down.

Although it just occurred to me: boob tape? Well, dress tape rather. You ladies know what I'm talking about? Sticky stuff that keeps your dress on when it is sleeveless?

So maybe your sleeves can tape or something?

Currently struggling with the whole "below the elbow" thing. My upper arm tattoos already aren't fully coverable with most short sleeves, so is going onto my forearm really going to make a difference?

Probably depends on who you work for. If you work in a place where you could wear long sleeves and be ok with never rolling them up, then why not.

I'm actually thinking more about clothing choices and whether going a few inches below my elbow's really going to matter more than stopping at half an inch above it. It's not an issue at my current job, though I plan on covering anyway since I work in a pretty conservative place and think some of my customers might care, even if my employer doesn't.

If I'm being honest with myself, I'm probably looking for someone here with sleeves to tell me to go for it :rolleyes:

I'm actually thinking more about clothing choices and whether going a few inches below my elbow's really going to matter more than stopping at half an inch above it. It's not an issue at my current job, though I plan on covering anyway since I work in a pretty conservative place and think some of my customers might care, even if my employer doesn't.

If I'm being honest with myself, I'm probably looking for someone here with sleeves to tell me to go for it :rolleyes:

Right, haha, go for it!

Long sleeve shirts! What's the big difference? A couple inches of fabric?More arm tattoos vs less arm tattoos. Hm tough one, yeah I'm leaning toward more... that's what I did. No regrets.

I was in this exact dilemma for about 6 months, had too much to cover with a tee but was wary of going for the lower arm. I say, just do it! You'll ve glad you did

If you stop a half inch above your elbow you wouldn't be able to cover your tattoos with a short sleeve shirt anyway...

If it helps you any, when I was trying to figure out how far down my arms I was willing to go, I was thinking pretty strongly of doing 3/4 sleeves because the thought of going all the way down to the wrist made me...I don't want to say I was nervous, because that wasn't quite it...but I did try to think through what it meant to be tattooed down to the wrist. I guess I was trying to weigh what I wanted against what I thought people might perceive of me. Writing this now makes it seem kind of silly to me, but that was more or less my thought process at the time. But then I was also thinking of how I could extend 3/4 sleeves if I decided on going that way. So I went down to the wrist, and I'm happy that I did.

My very first was right in the middle of my inner forearm, I got the tattoo I wanted where I wanted, shortly after I was promoted to 3rd shift supervisor in the factory I was at. Now I have wrist to shoulder coverage.

You know what you want, not just out of your job but out of life, only you can make this choice for you, think it through, make a choice and go with it.

I'm a Registered Nurse like some others here, and if I was in General Medical/Surgical I would be more limited in what I could have visible, but I'm in Mental Health, which appears to be far more relaxed about that sort of thing.

I'm finishing up my active duty military contract and I have 2 months left. Then I'm going to school to get my bachelors in nursing, and eventually after RN experience and school become a CRNA.

I've already looked at the university med center I'll be attending and their policy on tattoos are they have to be covered, but as an employee of that same med center they say it's up to the department.

I have read that having tattoos in nursing school is more of a problem than getting a job in nursing. Would you say that's fairly true?

I'm finishing up my active duty military contract and I have 2 months left. Then I'm going to school to get my bachelors in nursing, and eventually after RN experience and school become a CRNA.

I've already looked at the university med center I'll be attending and their policy on tattoos are they have to be covered, but as an employee of that same med center they say it's up to the department.

I have read that having tattoos in nursing school is more of a problem than getting a job in nursing. Would you say that's fairly true?

Yes, I would say that is pretty true. In my experience with Universities and nursing school is that they do have a problem with tattoos and piercings. I am Going to school for my bachelors as well. I have ran into problems regarding my tattoos and piercings for the program. Generally i've noticed people with tattoos getting treated differently by teachers and advisors. Good Luck with the course work and studying!

With my first tattoos, I was an auto mechanic at the time and it really didn't what you had on you anywhere. My move into corporate America, things were a little different. Definitely a lot more conservative and I have to present a good company image.

I'm covered wrist to shoulder & more. No way I can go past turning up a cuff in the summer. But I don't mind as I've been doing it for 30 years with maybe another 6 to go and I'm out... time for that hand tattoo.

If you stop a half inch above your elbow you wouldn't be able to cover your tattoos with a short sleeve shirt anyway...

If it helps you any, when I was trying to figure out how far down my arms I was willing to go, I was thinking pretty strongly of doing 3/4 sleeves because the thought of going all the way down to the wrist made me...I don't want to say I was nervous, because that wasn't quite it...but I did try to think through what it meant to be tattooed down to the wrist. I guess I was trying to weigh what I wanted against what I thought people might perceive of me. Writing this now makes it seem kind of silly to me, but that was more or less my thought process at the time. But then I was also thinking of how I could extend 3/4 sleeves if I decided on going that way. So I went down to the wrist, and I'm happy that I did.

+1

I put way too much thought into this, in the end I wound up going with a full sleeve and am glad I did. I bought some shirts with the sleeves an extra inch long for when I need to mix with the big shots. My company is on the conservative side so I'm really pushing the envelope with the pony tail. They would shit if they saw my back!

Honestly? I think it depends on what it is. People here in NZ are more accepting of cultural tattoos like moko and tatau, so those aren't as much of a problem (but often only if it is congruent with the ethnic identity of the wearer). Small tattoos on anyone doesn't seem to cause a fuss, but we did get asked in class, "Does anyone have any problematic tattoos?" heh.

I asked someone at work what the policy was and they said "just cover it up", but I see people with extensive forearm tattoos all the time. Maybe because Mental Health has a good ratio of male to female nurses so the culture is quite different from general nursing, which is more uptight.