Tattoos and the workplace

slayer9019

If it helps you any, when I was trying to figure out how far down my arms I was willing to go, I was thinking pretty strongly of doing 3/4 sleeves because the thought of going all the way down to the wrist made me...I don't want to say I was nervous, because that wasn't quite it...but I did try to think through what it meant to be tattooed down to the wrist. I guess I was trying to weigh what I wanted against what I thought people might perceive of me.

For me it's partly this and partly reconciling what I think I "should" look like (based on how I've always looked) with what I want. The changing self-image is almost a bigger deal than how it looks to others. I related to your earlier post about going below the elbow being a heavy decision - for me it's kinda like, OK, I'm really claiming this now.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. These round flowers look especially beautiful to me on a forearm like this, which is what prompted all this navel gazing.

Here in AZ in seems a lot more laid back then where I grew up (New England) in terms of dress and tattoos at work and really in general

It gets hot and everyone knows it so unless you are in sales or a executive, then you don't have to wear a suit, tie or even a long sleeve dress shirt. Business casual with collared shirts for men is pretty standard

I work at Wells Fargo and leads/mangers all have visible tattoos and there's even an underwriter with many visible tattoos on her arm. She also has some piercings-ear and face. I was surprised to see this but then again, we are in an office and never have visitors/customers so it makes sense to me

I'm safe. I work in the creative industries. It might even help me to have a tattoo - the more eccentric and creative looking I am, the more likely it is that I'll get a promotion. Ha!
I do creative stuff also. I heard some employers expect you to "look creative." If tattoos look creative it sounds like a win-win situation.

My boss is 27, married with two kids, owns an online marketing company. Entire back and a sleeve and a half done. I'm currently the manager of his customer service call center. I have no visible tattoos that I show during work, although it's a very laid back environment with no dress code. Nothing is visible with the exception of the heart and "xo" I just got done on the insides of my pinkies. Thankful to work in an environment like this!

I'm suddenly a bit concerned lol. Right now where I live, jobs are scarce. I had an offer for full time, but it was too far to travel for the pay. They didn't care about my tattoos, the interviewer saw them and we talked about tattoos a bit. Then I had an interview at a temp agency for an order selector at a paint warehouse. They didn't say anything about my tattoos at all and asked to see my resume, but after I emailed it to them I did not hear back. Still, pretty sure it wasn't because of my tattoos. Now a grocery store has called me for an interview. Suddenly I'm concerned that they might take issue with my grim reaper because of how customers might feel about it. I kinda think it's stupid that I should worry about my tattoos holding me back from getting a job at a freaking grocery store, of all places. Pisses me off a little bit. I can wear long sleeves to cover my reaper, although I don't want to but I do need a job until I learn the skill that I'm working on and then I will have a career. I've had all kinds of factory jobs and never once worried about my tattoos. Now I'm scared to go to an interview at a grocery store, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

So I now own a company (yea!) and this topic creeps into my head every once in awhile, but now from a slightly different perspective. I'm moving toward the slightly heavier tattooed situation week by week and personally keep by my motto "when in doubt cover it up". Then again i generally am wearing a suit, so moot point as I don't have anything below the wrist or above the collar.

I did just recently run into I guess an issue...I have an employee who is getting tattoos, which is all cool by me. Hell show em off when you get em and if you want to burn a PTO to get one, all cool by me. The problem is the same guy has mentioned he wants to get some more visible tattoos, and generally the themes are a bit, eh, black metal. It's a no-go by me just because customer relations standpoint but man is it hard to push that when your employees know I am covered in skulls, demons, snakes and daggers.

On a more refreshing note, it was wicked awesome to walk into a clients office and see people with tattoos galore! I was like YES! Can't wait to be able to wear a polo again to work on casual events. The industry I moved to seems to have a much more relaxed set of people in it, as far as tattoos go. Even met a guy with his hands/neck done. Not the usual but nobody seemed to care all too much.

So I now own a company (yea!) and this topic creeps into my head every once in awhile, but now from a slightly different perspective. I'm moving toward the slightly heavier tattooed situation week by week and personally keep by my motto "when in doubt cover it up". Then again i generally am wearing a suit, so moot point as I don't have anything below the wrist or above the collar.

I did just recently run into I guess an issue...I have an employee who is getting tattoos, which is all cool by me. Hell show em off when you get em and if you want to burn a PTO to get one, all cool by me. The problem is the same guy has mentioned he wants to get some more visible tattoos, and generally the themes are a bit, eh, black metal. It's a no-go by me just because customer relations standpoint but man is it hard to push that when your employees know I am covered in skulls, demons, snakes and daggers.

On a more refreshing note, it was wicked awesome to walk into a clients office and see people with tattoos galore! I was like YES! Can't wait to be able to wear a polo again to work on casual events. The industry I moved to seems to have a much more relaxed set of people in it, as far as tattoos go. Even met a guy with his hands/neck done. Not the usual but nobody seemed to care all too much.

That rules, congratulations! What sort of company is it?

Perhaps you could use your own tattoos to set an example for this dude. Like "hey guy, I'm in your boat, here's how to do it right." But yeah congrats, that's really awesome that you are able to be more relaxed with your tattoos in a professional environment.

That rules, congratulations! What sort of company is it?

Perhaps you could use your own tattoos to set an example for this dude. Like "hey guy, I'm in your boat, here's how to do it right." But yeah congrats, that's really awesome that you are able to be more relaxed with your tattoos in a professional environment.

It is a Security Consulting Firm (Physical and Cyber). Crazy industry

Yea still weird to be "that guy", but I guess it comes with the territory.

This is very interesting to me, as I am a high school transition coordinator and I work with many students who have tattoos and I myself have two tattoos. What I kind of think about is the type of work you're doing, and if your tattoo would hinder or prevent you from doing your work. Unfortunately there are many people out there who judge people based on how they look, which is very unfair. Many people have tattoos for a variety of different reasons. In my workplace at least I find that though it is a school there are many people that have tattoos on ankles feet wrists and it doesn't seem to be a problem. The only thing I counsel my students on is if they're planning on getting new ink think about where their getting it why they're getting it and the career path they're choosing unfortunately they may be stereotyped or view to certain way because of the tattoos they have in the career there picking so it's important to think about that a tattoo is a lifelong decision and you should never feel ashamed or feel like you have to hide it if it's something that is meaningful to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you in the market for an EA/PA?!

MY sister in law was over the other night, she's a big shot in commercial banking and we were talking tattoos, as she has a few small ones. She mentioned that her boss noticed that she still had the one showing on her ankle, like he didn't approve. She does deal directly with clients every day, I'll have to ask if anyone of them ever said anything to her directly.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Over 8 years ago, a nurse at my facility got multiple warnings about covering up her sleeves. Middle aged I'd say for sure. She kept getting bitter & more and more belligerent about being put upon. She either quit or got fired but back then "they" were having none of it.

Now I'm at another facility and we got a guy with even more ink but he's not a professional. However, he's a very good worker, keeps himself in good shape and carries himself with a LOT of positive energy. Meaning once you spend a little time dealing with him, your preconceived notions go out the window. Plus he's just a rad looking individual overall. You got to see all the girls "suddenly" coming out of their offices whenever he's up and about.

So it's either that things are improving for the inked or it pays to be pretty.

Here's an article from Linkedin about tattoos and the workplace. I like the comments and found them to be more interesting than the article.

But You Asked Me to Stare At Your Tattoos But You Asked Me to Stare At Your Tattoos | LinkedIn

I was really pleased to see a comment at the top refuting the "but you invited me to stare" argument. Because it IS like saying "look at how she's dressed, she's asking for it" or staring at amputees when a stump or fake arm is visible.

I keep covered because if the inevitable stares, but honestly already had that practice in place pre-tattoo because there are a lot of creepy starers out there, and I don't want to attract attention.

But it kind of sucks that I have to cover my tattoos and womanliness because some people are creeps and stare and comment regularly, a la "ooh, look at those hips! I bet you've had a lot of children", and "are you a slut or are you expensive?" FYI those happened in the last three months with all tattoos covered and just jeans and a hoodie on. Soooo...did I invite that by walking around? Because that's all I was doing, going from point a to b. During the day!

I should also state that sometimes I dress to show off my tattoos and also to be purposefully attractive...and even then while I do it on purpose with the intention of being appreciated, getting called names and getting leered at are still not okay and a really violating experience. So where's the balance? Because sometimes I want to look good. But I NEVER want the names or comments. "What do I have to do to see all of your tattoos" shudder.

I do keep covered in professional situations, much like I wouldn't wear club wear to a meeting, because it's just not the right time for it. Maybe after the meeting we compare tattoos, but biz is biz until it's done! I wouldn't wear a suit to a club, either. (Who am I kidding? I don't go to clubs!!! Ahahaha)

Buuuut also I mostly work for myself, by myself, and in a non traditional environment, so a lot of the "rules" are of my own devising.

Anyway. Barf for the morning.

I keep covered because if the inevitable stares, but honestly already had that practice in place pre-tattoo because there are a lot of creepy starers out there, and I don't want to attract attention.

But it kind of sucks that I have to cover my tattoos and womanliness because some people are creeps and stare and...

I should also state that sometimes I dress to show off my tattoos and also to be purposefully attractive...and even then while I do it on purpose with the intention of being appreciated, getting called names and getting leered at are still not okay and a really violating experience. So where's the balance? Because sometimes I want to look good. But I NEVER want the names or comments.

I do keep covered in professional situations....

While you have every right not to be harassed, leered or inappropriately approached, it sounds like you know how the game is played. You'll never be able to control the perves out there, you always control how you dress & your presentation to the world.

Here's an article from Linkedin about tattoos and the workplace. I like the comments and found them to be more interesting than the article.

But You Asked Me to Stare At Your Tattoos But You Asked Me to Stare At Your Tattoos | LinkedIn

Hahaha this was just forwarded to me by someone I work with. I asked if this was him asking if he wanted to get tattooed.

I'm still young and have only been a member of the 9-5 workforce for 7-8 years, but the one thing I've learned is work is not the time or place for any type of self expression. You get paid to perform your specific job, not to express/advertise all your hobbies and beliefs. I do not want to be "the guy in finance with the tattoos". I want to be "that guy in finance who knows his shit and can help solve this problem."

Also when muscular guys wear tight polo shirts in an office environment they look like are personal trainers, or depending on the color work at Target, Best Buy, Walmart, etc.