First Tattoo Ideas & Advice: Goose

Hi, I just registered to this forum so that I could get some ideas for my first tattoo. I've always wanted a tattoo and I've always admired a well-thought out and well-planned tattoo. My friends have always affectionately addressed me as "Goose" and I hope to represent that in my tattoo. I'm very close to my friends and my family and I was hoping to incorporate that into the design as I am leaving for college at the close of this coming year. I've struggled to come up with a 'classy' design - one that is not a clique or tacky in anyway.

My initial idea is to have a tattoo that I can add to over time, that will develop as I do through college and the challenges ahead. I had an idea for a design on the palm-side up lower arm right where you could put a sweatband(?) and I would box off three sections around the arm. Over time I would hope to fill this boxes with a representation like the one I plan to begin it with.

-I was thinking something with a Goose on the bottom looking up towards the sky up towards geese flying in a V with one missing.

-As far as style goes, I would like in more of a 17th-18th century scientific drawings style. Like a sketch that an explorer or a scientist would draw of seeing a goose in the new world.

As far as you guys go, I'd like some feedback and suggestions, criticisms and advice

:{D Thanks very much - HonkItsAGoose

I would not suggest a box idea. It will look like an incomplete tattoo until you want to add to it. It also sounds like you are trying to cram too much into the tattoo. Best suggestion would be to go to a shop around where you live and ask them, as the person that is going to tattoo you will know best what can be done, and look the best, after all they are the artist!

Oh, to be 17/18 again.. Spend some time looking at reference material and then find a good shop where you can talk to someone. I remember my own grand ideas of what I wanted to jam into all these tattoos I would one day get.. sounds like you're over-thinking it. Nothing to feel bad about, but I bet the more you look at tattoos in general, the more you'll see that the simpler the design, the better it holds up. If you're planning more, why not just start with the simple, etching-style goose?

Where are you located, maybe some folks on here can give you recommendations for a good shop. Or recommendations for good reference even.

If you have a little cash to spend and the patience to wait on the tattoo, I'd order some magazines (Total Tattoo, Tattoo Life/Energy...jeez, are there any decent American ones anymore other than TAM?) and maybe a book or two (Tattooing from Japan to the west by Horitaka is a good overview, pretty inexpensive), to see what's out there and what's feasible.

Hope that helps dude!

Here's your new tattoo, done and done. It's the cover of the sketchbook a guy at my shop put together. Snoose is loose.

I am kidding by the way although that would be a great tattoo and I could arrange it.

But I think what you are doing is what most people do these days with a first tattoo, which is over think it. I don't know where you live but I am sure if you are lookiing for a good artist someone couldn't point you in that direction.

I know I am the forum 'noob' and I am still waiting to be of age to get my tattoo, doesn't mean I can't offer my opinion, right? :P Well, like Kev had said, if you are already planning to hide it, I would suggest finding a place where it will easily be hidden by a piece of everyday clothing - shirt, pants, etc. On your shoulder perhaps - from many of the tattoos I've seen on men, it appears to be a popular spot. For the tattoo itself, I think it would be kind of cool if you get the goose with its wings in an open position - that way if you later have children (or even if you do now) you could later put a gosling and have it under your wing. :) I don't know, like I had said, I have no tattoos, and no actual tattoo experience .. Just a few ideas bouncing around. Just a thought. Here's an actual image I found which sort of resembles what I mean.

CanadaGooseWashing.jpg