I have been revisiting knee tattoos lately and thinking about designs.

I've seen some cool spiderweb designs from Stewart Robson (with a spider at the centre) and from Nick Colella which made me search for more. One design that seems to crop up in a few cases is a spider web with a nautical star of some sort. As something I have always liked the idea of for a knee tattoo is a compass star I was curious where the combination of spider web with star comes from - anyone know? Random combination or is there a story behind it...

A nautical star has so many straight lines, my first thought inclination would say not a very good idea for a knee tattoo, but I honestly am not familiar with the designs you are talking about so maybe i'm thinking of something different. What site(s) are you seeing them on?

I think we're thinking of the same thing - I've heard them called compass stars, nautical stars etc. (with five or eight points) but I'm not sure that's the right term. To my eye they look not dissimilar to the stars the Russian mob seem to get on their knees? As far as incorporating them with a spider web googling seemed to throw up a few to me but now that I look for one done by a reputable artist I'm struggling. I was just curious because it does seem like a combo that's out there.

As far as the potential difficulty with lines on a compass on a knee go - you could well be right, if things like cat heads and more classic spider web designs crop up again and again there is probably a reason- thanks!

I think we're thinking of the same thing - I've heard them called compass stars, nautical stars etc. (with five or eight points) but I'm not sure that's the right term. To my eye they look not dissimilar to the stars the Russian mob seem to get on their knees? As far as incorporating them with a spider web googling seemed to throw up a few to me but now that I look for one done by a reputable artist I'm struggling. I was just curious because it does seem like a combo that's out there.

As far as the potential difficulty with lines on a compass on a knee go - you could well be right, if things like cat heads and more classic spider web designs crop up again and again there is probably a reason- thanks!

I have a five point nautical star on my chest, (one of my early tattoos), I would much rather have a spider with a web around it or a nice cat head in that spot. I have both knee caps available, on one I know I am going to do a tibetan skull, I have a pretty simplified design that should work well and has been drawn to fit the space I have left, now just getting up the balls to do it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

are there any other places i can look for pictures on what i can do for my knee? i feel so stumped. flowers keep coming to mind as a cool subject matter but i can t visualize what flowers would look like. one girl i work with got an oyster with a pearl on her knee and it looks so cool! i dont know how i feel about animal heads right now, to me it just doesn't seem to feel like it fits for me! i have 7 months before my appt. so i can keep brainstorming!

I know stars or nautical ones on the knee are Russian prison inspired, I'd personally stay away from that. Webs are ok, and give the nice round design to fill it in. Any type of animal head works.

Yea I think I remember something about this as well.

russiantattoo-r.jpg

RUSSIAN CRIMINAL TATTOO ------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazon.com: Russian Criminal Tattoo Encyclopaedia (9783882439205): Danzig Baldaev, Sergei Vasiliev, Alexei Plutser-Sarno: Books

are there any other places i can look for pictures on what i can do for my knee? i feel so stumped. flowers keep coming to mind as a cool subject matter but i can t visualize what flowers would look like. one girl i work with got an oyster with a pearl on her knee and it looks so cool! i dont know how i feel about animal heads right now, to me it just doesn't seem to feel like it fits for me! i have 7 months before my appt. so i can keep brainstorming!

7 months is a long time to think of something to get. just keep researching and i'm sure you'll find something. Ask your artist for some ideas of what they'd like to put on knees. Something just might click.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm shooting for webs on both of mine. I've been letting this idea simmer for a while now and it excites me every time I think of it. Probably a spider with some sort of variation on one and then another insect, I have in mind, on the other. The left side of my calf and shin are tattooed, so I think I'll fill the right side before, but damnit i want my knees donneee

Been thinking about English roses, or something in the geometric flower/mandala vein. Not sure if it is a good idea or not. Good thing I have 2 knees!

I have the same thing feeling with webs. I think a web with a spider looks tough as shit. Just hoping it looks just as tough on a knee. Geometric/circular tattoos are more appealing to me for some reason on knees. I dig animal heads, just not on my knees. I do like those black cats up above. Sick!

Geometrics, mandalas and flowers work really well on kneecaps. I decided to get mine filled in with a mandala by Jondix and will probably do a matching one on the other knee. I like these sorts of designs for the "in between" places, if you're not planning on using up the whole leg for a continuous design. And, btw, was almost painless!

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm. I have some flames crossing my left knee from a dragon that goes the length of my leg, and I remember the muscles around it flexing involuntarily during that session (moreso than the pain). I didn't really think about it too much when I made the appointment for my other knee... Which is in just under a month. Guess we'll see!