So I have my appointment coming up soon at Invisible and am getting a traditional(ish) skull. I am still trying to decide what else to add to it. My artist said rose, I said no. I was thinking snake, with possible the skull missing the bottom jaw. Its going to be around 5x5 and my upper thigh. Any ideas?

Edit: Wrong section. Mods if you want you can move it.

dude you can add almost anything to a skull! just think of like pretty much any other thing you think is awesome!

As far as the skull + snake, yup it works, and real well too. I have one of them myself. The jaw isn't missing on mine, just out of it's proper place

photo-41.jpg

Just for reference (since I cannot draw and above is from my artist) is the style skull I was going for with a bit more "softness" of a more traditional skull.

I was also thinking of adding a lady head to the design somehow, but might save that for my upper arm. I want to get a lady head for my mom and sisters but am unsure of where to put it....too many ideas, too little space!

Since the tattoo is only going to be 5x5 you need to get something pretty simple. Adding too many thing to it will just make it look cluttered and like it should have been a way bigger, or multiple tattoos instead of one tiny jumbled blotch of skin. The type of skull you showed in the back piece is pretty busy already at such a small size without adding lady heads or anything really crazy. You could always get just the skull with a little bit of a background maybe. I kind of agree with your tattooer about adding a rose, but it's really up to you.

S33k -not really into the wes carter one but other two are dope! Can't wait to see yours buddy!

Agreed. I for some reason HATE flames and tribal. I do not know why just hate the look. I even got a weird look from my artist when he asked where to put the fire in my tattoo of hell...I said NO FIRE!

Some flames are o.k. to me but not really something I'd get tattooed unless it was pretty bad ass... Tribal well... been there done that, paid the hundreds it costs to then cover it up later, still waiting to pay the hundreds more it's gonna cost to erase another one... never again...

• 6 months later...

Thought I would update this since I ended up searching and finding my own old thread again. Seems that the original tattooer flaked out some time ago and it's going to end up being my current artist Regino at Invisible NYC. It's going to be incorporated into my already started sleeve (opposite side of my current lady head). I gave him 3 words: snake, skull, dagger.