The race to get covered vs the desire to still be able to get tattooed.

David Flores

Today as I am getting ready to go get tattooed(again) I am doing my ritual cut things out size them and see what fits where so that this tattoo doesn't affect my plans for my next tattoo or the one after that. Also I want to make sure I utilize my space in the most efficient manner.

I mean I guess the end game for all of this is to be covered, and while I still have my back piece to finish and my ribs, I feel I am running short on spots to just go and get tattooed on a whim or on vacation.

Some people I talk to are sick of the pain and ready to be done, others are more frustrated than me because they literally have almost no room to get tattooed and everything they want doesn't fit.

Anybody here have any perspective on this?

It's a hard spot to be in, and while I'm no where near covered. I still think like that, but at the end of the day when you have tattooed all the spots your willing to tattoo it will be a nice feeling to just say "Well it's finished, no more pain, no more swelling,...." and look in the mirror and bask. After that comes envy that you can't get any new tattoos and start thinking about that second coat of paint ;).

Think it's always a grass is greener on the other side type of thing. If you truly were tired of getting tattooed but wanted the suit look, you wouldn't care you would stop. But people that are still getting tattooed look at all the suited people and visa versa wishing to trade places.

Oh, man. This hits close to home for me!

I have a few spots left open: front of both thighs, one knee cap, and behind both knees (fun!). I already have plans for most of those spots, but then what? I have room for some small pieces down on my calves, but not much. I guess I could jam some things in on my torso, but I kinda like it how it is.

I find myself living vicariously through others now, and offering (at times unsolicited) advice on what they should get and from whom.

I have been pacing myself. I went from no tattoos, to one sleeve, lots on my legs and a couple on my torso, in 3 years. It has been almost 2 years since I have gotten a tattoo at all. I do have most of my body planned out, and lucky enough for me I will have to pace myself to be able to afford them. lol I do kind of have an ace in the hole though, one of my best friends does laser removal so I will be getting my entire left arm and also left leg zapped and start all over.

The other thing I was thinking about is all the people I want to get a tattoo from. Now i spend most of my time in Portland, a trip or two to Chicago, San Fran, and Seattle so there are oppurtunites to get tattooed by a lot of good people and even more if you think of the potential guest spots. I don't go out of my way to book appointments but try to get tattooed on every trip. So the idea of being in that situation to meet and get tattooed by someone who I look up to and having them have to tattoo an inch away from my goods or worse not even have a spot to get tattooed is my fear. But I must not be that concerned because I just keep getting tattooed.

I have the same issue, but more so with my back and ribs, So where do I put every thing else I want but still have it look good.

I had a brilliant idea a few months back, instead of sitting for hours on hours for a "sleeve" to be finished, We broke it up, not only does it cut back on the wallet but it also still allows me to get my "fix" for the month and still have plenty of work to be done. And seeing as we're almost finished my right arm we took a few months off... (and yes it's driving me mad not being tattooed but it also allowed me to get my truck I wanted.

To be honest I'm kinda liking how my plan as worked, it cut back the bulk of the worry of "oh no.. I'm covered already and still want more!"

ohhh man.. i feel your pain guys!

Like the rest of you I am going for that full body look and want it to be over but yup I'm worried about running out of room too. Right now I have quite a lot of space left. Still have some small areas on my forearms and one elbow, I also have 4 areas on my sides that can hold about a 10" tattoos (under my armpits and then the 'love handle' part of your body). My knees are open and one of my thighs is pretty much empty. I have one foot to tattoo, and one to laser then re-tattoo. One of my shins is open and the back of that leg is too. Back of both thigh.. God damn writing that all out made me realize how much space I really do have left. Anyways the comment I was going to make was like a couple others here I'm pacing myself. When I was younger I got a lot of stuff really quickly, like getting tattooed every other week or so. Many of those tattoos I regret or just wish I had known more about shit when I got them. There's spots on my arms that I'm just like shit why did I ever put that there when it would have looked better somewhere else, but I just didn't know back then. Over the last 3 or 4 years I've really slowed down a lot. I spent most of my tattoo time working on my back and got a couple little things here and there. I would like to be done getting tattooed by age 40, so that gives me another 13 years to get full. I have a feeling it might not take quite that long though....

But basically, I wish I had slowed down and planned it out more in the early stages, my over all look would be a little better if I had.

As of now I don't have any tattoos, so obviously I'm not in the situation of running out of space, but most of my plans are for larger scale work so I can see that once I get started and feel the need to keep going, I'll get there soon enough. Most of the people I'd like work from are out of state though, so travel time and money will slow me down quite a bit. Probably don't deserve to be posting in this thread but I thought I'd throw my newbie perspective in here.

I'm 19 and have a sleeve, one rib and the other forearm done.. The work is all great and pretty good quality, but now I found this site and am thinking I need to slow done a little so someday I still have the space and money to travel and get stuff done by really great artists, but I still find myself going back to get more lol can't resist that itch to get tattooed! Except my back I'm determined to keep that clean to get something truly amazing done

Knowing that under a year from the first time needle met skin I will have my legs (or "squid pants") completed is kinda scaring me a bit now...I am sure the itch to get more will slow as my bank account empties :( About to enter into the world of 5 hours a week at least every other week for the next 6 months as I see it....going to be EXPENSIVE! Other than that I hope to be done in the next 10 years.

I do sometimes have the sense that there will come a point where I really regret not saving space for particular tattooists. I love large pieces but I guess they block off huge parts of the body.

Maybe there's something to be said for keeping a fair amount of space free for smaller tattoos so as to satisfy that?

I've gotten a fair amount of coverage in 3 years, my upper front torso and upper arms, I'm starting my back soon as well. I do worry about running out of space eventually but I'm just enjoying getting them at the moment, and even more so to looking in the mirror at my full body suite, knowing that I've achieved something. I hope I can pace myself so I can be finished by around the time I'm 50 which gives me another 26 years but a part of me knows I'll be finished before then. As long as I enjoy the journey I don't care

• 2 weeks later...

i hope to be the turtle! i want to take it slowly because i know my desires and interests are constantly changing. i guess i want my body art to reflect my whole life and not just a point in my life. who knows, even how i feel now may change and i might get covered in a short period of time. but for now ill stick to the ways of the turtle and just like shannon said above its a journey, so enjoy the ride. i am forsure going to try!!!!

i hope to be the turtle! i want to take it slowly because i know my desires and interests are constantly changing. i guess i want my body art to reflect my whole life and not just a point in my life. who knows, even how i feel now may change and i might get covered in a short period of time. but for now ill stick to the ways of the turtle and just like shannon said above its a journey, so enjoy the ride. i am forsure going to try!!!!

hahaha i just realized that i responded to this thread straight from facebook where Lochlan had posted the link but also asked if we are turtles or hares! so hence why i start by saying "i hope to be a turtle"!! lol anyways i just wanted to clear that up so future people who read are not like what the F* is this girl talking about!