The race to get covered vs the desire to still be able to get tattooed.

David Flores

And that's how I ended up having Miles Maniaci at Chicago Tattoo layout the final design and do my sleeve. Took my ideas and turned them into a coherent piece.

He's a good tattooer. I think I've met him a couple of times when I was in Deluxe. Big beard?

Everytime I get tattooed I tell myself (while writhing in agony) "this is the last F*ing time", so in some aspects, I'd love to be 'done'. Then I learn of some other artist I want work from or some previous artist I'd just like to spend the day with again...

I suspect it'll never end and I am in no hurry. Fluctuating financial status and an affinity for expensive artists (top quality work/artists/people) has a way of slowing down the collecting anyway.

My experience has kind of worked itself out organically. The first about 5 years I was getting tattooed, for one reason or another, it was about once a year that I got tattooed(started at 21). I didn't even realize it was working about that way until about a year ago. When I realized it I thought it's a pretty good pace. My tattoos average about 36" sq so I figure that gives me a decent amount of time to keep getting tattooed. I have to admit that my last 2 were only 6 months apart, but once I get my right arm and my chest finished I think I'll be able to slow back down...maybe ;-)

• 1 month later...

Shoot, I took a break from 1983 to 2005 between tattoos. Got married, owned stock cars, bought a house, started a business, kid activities, house renovations, the $$$$ adds up. I had one new tattoo in 2005, went back in 2008 and 2010 for some big work (new work plus old stuff brought back to life), 2 coverups done between late 2011 and 2 months ago. I'm to the point where I can peel off the bucks and get the work done.

I'm glad I took the break, now almost all of my ink is pretty fresh and I'm 57. I have a local shop that I really like and have a good rapport with the owner/artist. Even my son has his work done there. So part of the adventure for me is making sure that my son makes wise tattoo decisions. Even with 9 tattoos, (7 of them being big) I have plenty of room left. I have no master plan of when I'll be done, no regrets about my tattoo past either.

CG