Does My Tattoo Look Bad?

Caine

I think the difference is old sailors and the like did things like the famous 'hold fast' knuckles as a good luck talisman to help then with their job. Now people tend to get hand tattoos without having other tattoos so they can try and look tough without actually going through the pain and money of tattooing the rest of your body first.

I have a photo queued up on OV of Hardy doing a hand tattoo on someone without sleeves, late 70s.

It was a unicorn.

He's the guy that can say "I have an Ed Hardy Unicorn on my hand". I'm not sure if that's a bragging point or not.

Hadn't until you posted it... not sure how I feel about it yet...

I agree with a lot of the stuff. I just think some of the stuff he says he doesn't like the style but the tattoo is okay is still horrible. If I don't like a tattoo style it's because the style doesn't look good as a tattoo and if you can point out major flaws then it's not passable. but overall I think it could be helpful for a lot of people since he is pointing a lot of stuff that is wrong and maybe they will listen to him because they sure don't listen to me when I try to tell them.

Funny I try to be good about using the word tattooer or they, but for some reason chose to pick a side on this post figures.

No worries! Figured someone would end up looking the tattooer up or something and then point it out.

In regards to her tumblr, I think it goes to show, that actually you can tell whether a tattoo is good, without having to be a tattooer, since I am not and I knew pretty much immediately what I felt was good or not, and for the most part, corresponded with her thinking. Some of the 'whys' were interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I had sleaves, rib tattoos, both legs pretty much covered and worked as a full time tattoo artist for 15 years before I got my hand tattooed. I feel like people today do not consider the future when making these decisions. Learn a little about tattooing before rushing out and getting you neck/face or hands blasted. You only get one shot to do it right.

i actually just got my hand tattooed saturday, and a bit of my arm done by my boss, the start of a full sleeve...it looks a little weird now but we figured we'd start at the bottom rather than the the top of my arm just because hes not sure what he wants to put on my upper arm yet. Personally i think the tatto that started this thread is too small for the hand, which is what makes it look weird.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I think if someone wants to tattoo just their hand or neck first, as long they thought it through and got something that they were really bonded to, there's no big deal. I feel like some of you think you have to 'pay your dues ' before you do it or something, chill out.

I smile every time I see a hand or neck tattoo showing and nothing at all else on the arms...

I read a funny internetz comment somewhere where buddy called those "Warp Tour Tattoos", the trend where young kids are getting necks, hands and faces done so they can look super bad ass in their hoodie at warp tour or the bar but got no mileage to show for when they hit the beach.

You asked for feedback...

The hand tattoo (that started this thread) is average at best. The design is bland in comparison to the many unique skull and cross bone designs I've seen out there. Skull and cross bones is a timeless design and this one came out a little soft and cartoonish for a hand tattoo in my humble opinion. I think it could have been slightly larger to fill out the hand and looks lonely without anything on your forearms as others have already commented.

It's your tattoo to wear everyday, not ours. So really what's important is that you are happy with it and you believe it is awesome.

"It's just a tattoo" was some of the most prolific advice I got from one of the top tattooists in town. Though for you original poster, "it's just a tattoo...on your hand".

Personally I think if someone wants to tattoo just their hand or neck first, as long they thought it through and got something that they were really bonded to, there's no big deal. I feel like some of you think you have to 'pay your dues ' before you do it or something, chill out.

which dates are your band playing warped tour?