Latest tattoo lowdown.....

Lochlan

Damn you, @beez. I already have a huge snake on my back, but now I'm jealous of yours. Very jealous.

Hogg, your snake may or may not have ended up in my reference pile ;). I'm flattered!

@beez that is beyond cool. Also: 4 hours...howwww??!

Polliwog - I have no idea how in the HELL he did that in four hours. Even though I was there for it I can barely believe it. He said that since he had drawn and colored the snake completely already on a picture of my back, and then he drew it again on me in marker before we started, that because he had drawn it and colored it in he knew exactly where to go and that's why it was so fast. <throws up hands> he's a mad genius! I have never been tattooed by anybody who is particularly slow, either! But the other half of my back definitely took multiple sessions of AT LEAST 4 hours each, so this was soo fast!

The one thing that may have helped was that he used bactine after the first 1.5 hours, and the lidocaine in bactine kept me nice and numb. But once I was numb he went for it and started digging in there - I could DEFINITELY tell I was being worked on. I don't know if I could have handled it without the numbing.

On numbing: I used to be sort of anti-numbing, but I got numbed for the last 90 min of the eagle/dragon thigh piece and then for this, and I don't feel like I really missed out on the tattoo experience. I was definitely there for all of it! And the numbing may have removed the "hot fire" element of it, but not the continuously working over chopped up skin feeling. So that's it!

@cltattooing that hector fong piece is sick!

This may be a derail, but I got some Bactine for one of my leg tattoos...it was a weird experience; it was completely numb in certain areas, but then elsewhere it was like three times as painful. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Edit: I saw that @dari mentioned this in the painkillers thread. Maybe going to request no topical numbing agents in the future unless I'm doing love handles one day...

Here's the trick to Bactine: get the squirt bottle, NOT the spray bottle (spray can introduce airborne bacteria - if all you can get is the spray bottle then transfer it to a squirt/wash/Nalgene bottle). Now, squirt the tattoo using gloved hands to catch the excess, and rub it into the OPEN tattoo (linework usually isn't enough). Then let it sit on there for a few minutes, and then start tattooing without wiping it off the skin. Lidocaine won't fuck up your tattoo in any way and you won't OD. Note this does NOT apply to other numbing products, especially those with Epinephrine in them.

Some people spray a couple squirts on and wipe it off immediately with a paper towel, and surprise, it doesn't work.

This isn't a trade secret or technical information, by the way. I learned this as a collector long before I became an apprentice.

I used H2Ocean Nothing before.

My first session was so painful that I couldn't even sit up straight... My artist used it a few times on the first planet... It has so many over passes that I lost count... I am usually ok with pain even though I am a wuss when it comes to it... My last session felt like shit!!! and didn't use it. 4hrs of grinding the last planet and details... uuuuffff don't want to remember....

Every time I see @SeeSea (and others!) I just cant imagine the pain she went through... I know that to archive the color variations that she has on her back costed many passes over the same area and not to use "some thing" to take the edge off at times is just truly amazing... I am sure is nothing compare to having a baby... A walk in the park I am sure :)

Lets not forget that this is all new so imagine getting a tattoo like that back than....

If you look at my pics right in the shop you could see that the first session my lower right hand side of my back where thew planet is, You could see how red and swollen that part is. That's the part I used it a couple of times.

Second session was walk in the park. Third Session not so much but like I said I didnt use it.

I posted a little sneak peak on Instagram (@suburbanxcore), but Grez and I finally got into some brighter colors on my fifth session this weekend. My dragon now has a bright red belly to really pop out from his green scale and the darker eagle. It's starting to really come together.

Not in again until 5/16 for Ed Hardy day and a three hour session!