Latest tattoo lowdown.....

Lochlan

Hokay, cross-posting by request, cos SeeSea is such a flatterer. I was going to wait until Greg posted the pictures he took of the new stuff, but he may not. Sun came out today when I was about to head to the gym, so I tried to get some myself.

I got a diving girl, and we started a cobra, though we didn't finish it. They're looking a little bit foggy/chalky because I peel fast; they'll probably start flaking by tomorrow. It makes it hard to see the blue details in the diving girl, sadly. Sorry for the terrible angles!

divinggirl_zpskng91q6m.jpg

snek_zpsr6alglxr.jpg

These links are just an overview of the whole thing, before we added the cobra.

https://instagram.com/p/1gugZ7TBPK/

https://instagram.com/p/1guZOxTBO-/

Hokay, cross-posting by request, cos SeeSea is such a flatterer. I was going to wait until Greg posted the pictures he took of the new stuff, but he may not. Sun came out today when I was about to head to the gym, so I tried to get some myself.

I got a diving girl, and we started a cobra, though we didn't finish it. They're looking a little bit foggy/chalky because I peel fast; they'll probably start flaking by tomorrow. It makes it hard to see the blue details in the diving girl, sadly. Sorry for the terrible angles!

divinggirl_zpskng91q6m.jpg

snek_zpsr6alglxr.jpg

These links are just an overview of the whole thing, before we added the cobra.

https://instagram.com/p/1gugZ7TBPK/

https://instagram.com/p/1guZOxTBO-/

Can I borrow your arm, and possibly not return it? Between the thread you posted before and seeing the backside now, man, lookin' good.

I love Greg's work, although I must admit that I preferred his style before he switched to traditional. This arm is great. However, I've always been curious why some people prefer to have a bunch of one point tattoos rather than a full cohesive sleeve with a single focal image and background. Curious to hear your answer.

I love Greg's work, although I must admit that I preferred his style before he switched to traditional. This arm is great. However, I've always been curious why some people prefer to have a bunch of one point tattoos rather than a full cohesive sleeve with a single focal image and background. Curious to hear your answer.

I like both, but that sounds like an aesthetics thing, akin to asking someone why they like one color as opposed to another. It could also have to do with how you approach getting tattooed.

I really like the aesthetics of artfully using negative space, as well as the versatility afforded by this method. I also currently have my entire right arm preserved for the possibility of a Japanese traditional sleeve. I think American traditional tends to lend itself to the aforementioned style, and that happens to be what I prefer.

I'm also drunk and typing with my left hand because my right hand is greasy and garlicky from eating pizza. Good day to you sir.

Can I borrow your arm, and possibly not return it? Between the thread you posted before and seeing the backside now, man, lookin' good.

Thank you very much!! I am thrilled with it.

You aren't alone in those feelings. His instagram gets comments frequently from people lamenting the passing of his 'animals wearing necklaces' phase, though less these days than before, since he refuses to tattoo it anymore. That original style is what first drew me to him; it's beautiful artwork and seriously impressive...but maybe not very optimal for a tattoo.

He's told me that he was really into it while he was doing it, but he was tired of it, and he said he's realized they're all going to age very poorly. Listening to him talk to one of the other tattooers in the shop one night, he also said he finds doing the actual tattooing with traditional much more satisfying and enjoyable -- that he used to enjoy when he achieved the effect he was going for with the neo-trad, but he didn't actually enjoy the labor of it.

This last time I was down there, he talked about how he admires the simple economy/elegance of the designs...that he's played with altering some of them and most of the time he discovers that the thinking that went into that simplicity is actually extremely complex, and most of the designs he likes best just cannot be improved on; that it's difficult to change parts of them without compromising something else.

As for the sleeve thing, originally I did want a full sleeve. I've known I wanted to be tattooed since I was pretty young -- early teens -- but I wasn't much for American traditional. I made a lot of the same ill-informed judgements about things like flash and whatnot that I hear other people making these days. I did love Japanese traditional, though. I wanted to be covered with it! I even exchanged faxes with Horiyoshi III back in the day. (Faxes. Seriously.)

I don't regret the way things worked out, though. Like Bmore, I find the use of negative space extremely striking. It's fun to show up to the shop and not know what you're going to be getting; it's sort of like getting a present. And you can get all kinds of different things -- so many different artists doing different takes on all kinds of styles and subject matter. Full sleeves (and squid pants :o) are gorgeous in their own way, but they eat up real estate. It's a trade-off, I guess.

Also, I sort of feel that piecemeal sleeves like this one ARE full sleeves, in a way. You may not know what the full character of the sleeve will be until it's done, but when I see people who have whole limbs done in this style I still get a very specific impression from the overall collection of images -- something with no less an identity as a cohesive piece. It's one of the things I was thinking about when I read all of the nice comments on the other thread...I almost wish I could get some distance on my arm and see it the way other people see it, as a whole thing rather than a collection of parts. It's hard to do when it's on myself, for whatever reason.

I guess I just prefer big, full coverage, with strong attention to composition. Getting a ton of small tattoos in my mind looks impulsive and like the wearer is trying to look heavily tattooed without all the patience, pain, time and effort of getting big pieces. A new banger every paycheck instead of a 6 hour session once a month on a tattoo that takes a year to achieve. But that was a digression which doesn't apply to your sleeve.

Thanks for the thorough response. I'm actually getting a traditional piece from him with no background on my chin, as I've killed all my real estate with big tattoos :-(

Oh! Haha. Welllll, I dunno. Coverage still takes time, and tattoos still hurt, and they're still expensive, no matter how many hours you book at once. The endurance trial is certainly an experience, I imagine. I'll find out whenever I get around to my back, since I know already I'm going nape to at least the back of the thigh, and probably Japanese.

Nice dinosaur!

Almost all my tattoos are large pieces. My leg piece started out as a few small ones and when I finally found someone I liked we had to design around it. I keep looking for something small to do, but I want to know I can tastefully add to it. And about sitting times? Damn 4 hours is about my limit. Especially the back ribs.

Some people's tattoo worlds seem really small... (In my own world, there are lots of cool different ways to get tattooed.)

Bigger IS better - that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it! That's why guys like James Tex, Filip Leu, Horiyoshi, Steve Moore are at the top. Bigger pieces are the natural progression. The small stuff is nice too and is best for most people. But the holy grail is the big stuff. No perfect traditional banger will have the visual impact of a neck to knee backpiece nor the power of all the work that went into making it. The commitment, time, and effort that goes into those pieces is staggering. The Japanese have recognized this from the beginning, and that's why they were blowing the minds of the american masters 50 years ago, not the other way around. Their stuff was bigger and better. Then we caught up and are now backpedaling to simple traditional again. Everyone wants the instant gratification of a quick and easy piece and it's a goddamn tragedy.

This is why they make chocolate AND vanilla ice cream.

That said, as I've mentioned many times, I'm working on my first "cohesive" sleeve. I'm so impatient, and while I love seeing it come together, it's definitely a very different experience than getting one-shot tattoos for the last ten years. I can't say which I like better, really.

@sophistre fucking beautiful arm :)

@Isaiah118 like the broken rosary for the wording :)

@knucklehead211 shame you didn't get a pic before the cling film went on :(

As regards the coverage chat, always had planned mine from when started getting tattooed that they would be individual pieces that would all eventually be merged. Which is starting to slowly happen.