Latest tattoo lowdown.....

Lochlan

2 hours ago, oboogie said:

This reminds me of that other phoenix which we won't discuss here.

It's tattoo on my back, the phoenix was done 2 months ago, background 2 weeks ago. This is my first tattoo and I just would like to know opinion about it.

50 minutes ago, Dima said:

It's tattoo on my back, the phoenix was done 2 months ago, background 2 weeks ago. This is my first tattoo and I just would like to know opinion about it.

Looks to be pretty decent. My concern might be that the background is pretty close to the same tone as the bottom of the bird, so in 10-15 years it might not be too discernable - but with the background only being 2 weeks old, it might lighten up a bit in the next month or two, too.

Haven't posted in quite a while so i'll update you all on a couple of new(ish) additions.

First up is from the Bristol tattoo convention in June, done by Stewart Robson:

5Kjh6TZ.png

And this one i got a couple of days ago from Marcos Attwood at Broad Street Studio, in Bath

hhdvPGM.png

Not particularly great photos of either one but i'm sure you get the idea

On 8/25/2016 at 9:52 PM, Dan said:

ya I know,it's in 2 threads,but I love this one I got from Alycia Harr at Classic Tattoo in Grass valley today.

It was an early birthday present from my wife.

lhand4.jpg

lhand2.jpg

if I can,and it wasn't drawn directly me,I always ask for the original art and stencil and I ask them to sign the art,Alycia did for me. :)

I have gotten the art from several artists in the past.

I like to frame them for my office.

alyciaart.jpg

Edited by Dan

Got this yesterday!  A lot of firsts for me here.

First real post on this forum(barring the introduction thread), first real large scale custom piece for me. It was also my first time under a rotary, and first time trying a new healing method.

The machine felt quite a bit different than what i was used to, but this was my first leg tattoo, so that could simply have been the tighter skin on my legs.  In general, more of a light pressure, then a pinpoint stab. 

James Mullins of Lotus Tattoo, Hemet CA, was very patient with my 3 or so hours embarrassingly twitchy leg, and constant nervous tattoo chatter.   (Also my neurotic aftercare questions, and emails.)

Obviously, yes, I'm a Fallout Fan.  I put a mid way tattoo up because I honestly thought he was nearly done here. I laid back and let him finish the final pass without looking too much.  When I saw the final pass, I was pretty much giddy.  He asked, just before I sat down, if he could go a little crazy with the color.  I was super glad that I agreed.

I hope it's ok to post this pre-heal!  If not, I can pull it down and repost when it's done!

20160901_134327.jpg20160901_144542.jpg

Edited by Hoople
Janky formatting, #2 for forum rules, #3 for fun story time

3 hours ago, Hoople said:

Got this yesterday!  A lot of firsts for me here.

First real post on this forum(barring the introduction thread), first real large scale custom piece for me. It was also my first time under a rotary machine, and first time using a Sanidern sheet.

James Mullins of Lotus Tattoo, Hemet CA, was very patient with my 3 or so hours embarrassingly twitchy leg, and constant nervous tattoo chatter.   (Also my neurotic aftercare questions, and emails.)

Obviously, yes, I'm a Fallout Fan.  I didn't know if it was appropriate to show lines/shading/color pics, but I thought I would at least put the before/after the final pass of color because I thought he was nearly done with the before and was kinda blown away.   When I saw the final pass, I was pretty much giddy. 

I hope it's ok to post this pre-heal!  If not, I can pull it down and repost when it's done!

20160901_134327.jpg20160901_144542.jpg

Hey man.. I gotta say something real quick and I hope you can understand where I'm coming from. 

It ain't ok to post the type of tattoo machine your tattooer used on you, on the forum. It may not seem like much more than cool info to have from the customer's point of view, and I would agree that it's rad of your tattooer to share that with you. But at the same time, this is still the public domain where everything you post is accessible to anyone with an internet connection, and you can be sure that people who have their eyes on learning to tattoo will be reading through the forum. Basically tattooing is a complicated and difficult trade requiring a specialized skill set where training is necessary, and it's just not safe or responsible to be sharing technical info about it. Not sharing technical info is one of the rules of the forum and it's there for a reason.

Hopefully this didn't come off as a lecture cause that's not where I'm coming from, just hoping to spread a little accountability/awareness. Cheers :)

Edited by cltattooing

10 hours ago, cltattooing said:

Hey man.. I gotta say something real quick and I hope you can understand where I'm coming from. 

It ain't ok to post the type of tattoo machine your tattooer used on you, on the forum. It may not seem like much more than cool info to have from the customer's point of view, and I would agree that it's rad of your tattooer to share that with you. But at the same time, this is still the public domain where everything you post is accessible to anyone with an internet connection, and you can be sure that people who have their eyes on learning to tattoo will be reading through the forum. Basically tattooing is a complicated and difficult trade requiring a specialized skill set where training is necessary, and it's just not safe or responsible to be sharing technical info about it. Not sharing technical info is one of the rules of the forum and it's there for a reason.

Hopefully this didn't come off as a lecture cause that's not where I'm coming from, just hoping to spread a little accountability/awareness. Cheers :)

Thanks! I totally missed that rule in my skim.  I edited it down quite a bit, and I hope that falls more in line.

In this case, I was literally just sharing info available on his public Instagram in the last 5-7 days, but I totally get it. People can get that info themselves.

Can I ask, and I'm totally not trying to be a smart ass here, is this post ok now? In terms of generic rotary machine, and Saniderm sheet?

Edited by Hoople

9 minutes ago, Hoople said:

Thanks! I totally missed that rule in my skim.  I edited it down quite a bit, and I hope that falls more in line.

In this case, I was literally just sharing info available on his public Instagram in the last 5-7 days, but I totally get it.  If people are curious, they can find him by name fairly easily and get that themselves!

Can I ask, and I'm totally not trying to be a smart ass here, is this post ok now? In terms of generic rotary machine, and Saniderm sheet?

Looks good to me! And I don't think there's anything wrong with sharing saniderm healing methods, there are a few threads here with that info too. 

Thanks for being receptive to feedback, that is super cool of you. It's a bummer that your artist is sharing that info on Instagram, but what can ya do I guess... 

10 hours ago, cltattooing said:

Thanks for being receptive to feedback, that is super cool of you. 

No worries! Forum rules, and I'm still just getting back into tattoo culture after a 15 year hiatus.   I appreciate you being straightforward and cool about the rules,  and taking the time to explain why they're there to a noob like me. 

2 minutes ago, DJDeepFried said:

Did I miss something or did OP edit his original post? Is it out of bounds to talk about rotary vs coil in terms of the client's experience (lack of pain, noise) or the different "look" they achieve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering this too.

Edited by Dan

11 hours ago, cltattooing said:
57 minutes ago, DJDeepFried said:

Did I miss something or did OP edit his original post? Is it out of bounds to talk about rotary vs coil in terms of the client's experience (lack of pain, noise) or the different "look" they achieve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering there is already a thread on here about them I'd say no. 

Hey all, yea, I went back and edited to bring it in line with standards.

And yup, it looks like this forum architecture does edit quotes to match the quoted area of text.  I was wondering that myself when I did my editing last night.   

15 minutes ago, Hospitelli said:

Stuff on rotary and coils that the quote thingy didn't get right.

Thanks for linking that!  I do want to join that discussion as well, because I did notice some differences and was wondering if anyone else had!

Well, my 2nd session with Garver went down this past Friday.

This pic was taken right when it was done.

Best part is, he asked if I was interested in sleeving out my arm.  I obviously agreed and more sessions are to come.  Going to connect my Back to the Future portraits with some other elements.

Garver.PNG