Latest tattoo lowdown.....

Lochlan

I edited the quote intentionally so that the info didn't remain in my post. It's not really a big deal. Also nothing wrong with talking about tattoo experiences at all, in my opinion. It was just the brand of rotary that was mentioned, which falls under the technical equipment umbrella. 

I guess these aren't technically my newest, but they are only a few months old. (Friday 5/13) they were new to me in several ways, and I love them. I also wasn't' sure where else to post them!)

I wasn't really that big of a Traditional American fan until I saw Dave Kruzeman's winning back piece from Ink Master. Side note: I'll be seeing Dave for a piece on my knee in a little over a month. I'm super pumped.  It pretty much blew me away, made me dig deeper into tattoo culture and to do a ton of reading and researching on Norman Collins and his apprentices. 

That lead me to the Friday the 13th tradition and got me thinking about some fo the bad luck I had with tattoos when I was younger. When I saw this rework of Jerry's "Superstition is for Sissies" black cat, I knew it was time to choose my own tattoo luck, and pick better artists and tattoos  So, I made sure I always have a black cat in my path. Ian "Jonezy" Jones did these for me at True Tatoo, Hollywood and was insanely fast getting them in.  I think the whole thing was under 90 minutes and the shading was my most painless shading I've ever had.  After the fact, these hurt so bad I mentioned them in the "most painful tattoo" thread.

This is the un healed picture, but they healed nearly perfectly.  This is just the only picture of them where my actual feet(not the tattoos) don't look super gnarly because I can't take a good picture of them with my phone, and I don't want to bother anyone else to take pics of my big gnarly man feet.

20160513_175523.jpg

Edited by Hoople

I posted an update in the Initiation forum, but realized it isn't as widely seen. Here is a condensed version:

Session 3 on the dragon sleeve is done. I went in thinking we would color it in and I'd be done or nearly done. Nope! 5.25 hours of green and red. In the ditch. Ouch.

April:

i-r6gqDqR-L.jpg

May:

i-tWrdpP7-L.jpg

Last week:

i-ht7K5zx-L.jpg

I'm very happy with it so far, but dying to get the final touches of detail into the dragon.

I count 120 cherry blossom pedals all the way around. Given that 2 min each average is four hours, I'm doubting we will even finish next time.

On September 2, 2016 at 9:17 PM, polliwog said:

@Isotope when you described your idea to me, I have to say that I was thinking, hmm...okay. That worked out in the best possible way. The weird thing is that the roses just might be the toughest thing about that tattoo.

Thank you so much! It's actually healing pretty rough because I move so much and it's in a creasy, tough spot. I'm trying my best to baby it, but I have a couple smalls scabs I'm nurturing. 

12 hours ago, te0h said:

Started this in January (i posted the lines here before)... this is 5 sessions in w/ 2 hrs each time. Again, I want to thank the LST community for leading me to Jason Brooks -- I could not be happier w/ the results :D

IMG_2110.JPG

Very nice! I'm in Austin also. Kinda want the artist completing my first sleeve (Scott Ellis, Triple Crown) to do other arm. Kinda want to mix it up Jason Brooks is definitely on the short list. Like this a lot. 

On July 1, 2016 at 3:18 PM, wildcat said:

Got this awesome piece this week on the spur of the moment/walk-in from Tommy Stegall at Baldy's Tattoo in Radcliff, KY (near Fort Knox). It's my first American Traditional tattoo and I am in love :)

Wildcat

FB_IMG_1467245137589.jpg

FB_IMG_1467245143210.jpg

I'm catching up on unread items and just saw this.  Awesome with a capital A. 

Got this today - crappy picture so it's hard to see the colors. I'll post a better pic tomorrow after it is a bit less irritated and in better light. This is my 9/11 Pentagon survivor nod. I had the artist perch the eagle on a pentagonal-shaped piece of rubble. Had originally wanted to have the date 9-11-01 in the center but, after getting feedback here, decided against it. I'm glad I left it out. I asked him to create some clouds and show the sun beginning to peak out - really based on my desire to speak to the focus on the future and not just the event itself. I was very, very lucky to survive that day - this piece has much meaning.

Right SHoulder Day 1.jpg

Had a blast at the convention!  Was great to meet @polliwog @Fala and was also great seeing @Graeme and @Pugilist.  Briefly saw @Shaun1105 which was cool but missed @BrianH due to walking past every booth except the one he was being tattooed at. Feel pretty dumb about that since it was directly behind the one I was hanging out at. Also bummed to have missed seeing Sam  whose handle name eludes me at the moment.  (Mitslam??)

Got this by Nick Colella on Saturday in the same booth and at the same time as @Graeme was getting an awesome tattoo by Robert Ryan. Absolutley love it and had a great time talking to Nick. Such a great dude and awesome tattooer. This is my first leg tattoo. On the side of my left calf. 

image.jpeg