Latest tattoo lowdown.....

Lochlan

Something that really caught me off guard in applying color for the first time was the excessive deviation of colors from bottle to skin.  I have read that our own skin pigment will change them somewhat ... but I was not expecting such a drastic difference!

The blackish, bluish wings, tail and ears for example were done with this teal and
The "pink" parts were done with this orange shade ...
The mustard tone yellow stayed true and
The lighter blue areas were my own mix and pretty much what I expected.

There doesn't seem to be any consistency ... some will stay true, and others won't!
A little daunting when the only way to experiment is with permanent marks on the body! lol

8995.jpg

ink-kcmp1.jpg

MY OWL.jpg

1 minute ago, oboogie said:

So why are you tattooing yourself? Did you buy a machine on eBay and just decide to give it a go? Please don't tattoo anyone else. OK?

I have no intentions of tattooing anyone else, rest easy. :)

I suppose the reason I'm doing it is the same as most tattoo artists who went before me ... love of tattoos and love of art.  

I was just hoping someone with a little know how would throw me a bone or two regarding color ... knowledge is always appreciated.

1 hour ago, oboogie said:

Real, trained tattoo artists generally don't give advice to scratchers, even if you are scratching on yourself. So I wouldn't expect much help.

If you want to learn to tattoo, become an apprentice. What you're doing is just not cool. Scratchers are a real pet peeve of mine, so there it is.

We are all entitled to our pet peeves and personal opinions.  I'm entitled to think what I'm doing is pretty cool ... and you are entitled to think it's not cool. :)

1 hour ago, littlefox1970 said:

I have no intentions of tattooing anyone else, rest easy. :)

I suppose the reason I'm doing it is the same as most tattoo artists who went before me ... love of tattoos and love of art.  

I was just hoping someone with a little know how would throw me a bone or two regarding color ... knowledge is always appreciated.

Per the forum guidelines:

• Do not start threads asking about specific tattooing equipment or techniques, LST is not here to teach anyone how to tattoo. Ask your own tattooer, the next time you are getting tattooed. Maybe they'll answer you, maybe they won't.

30 minutes ago, Hands On said:

Per the forum guidelines:

• Do not start threads asking about specific tattooing equipment or techniques, LST is not here to teach anyone how to tattoo. Ask your own tattooer, the next time you are getting tattooed. Maybe they'll answer you, maybe they won't.

Yes, you're right ... I shouldn't have asked that. 

Yes, indeed I will :)

1 hour ago, littlefox1970 said:

There seem to be a few definitions out there ... I was curious what YOURS was ... but nevermind.

this is the definition IMO,

and at this forum as is  at most "tattoo" related forums the common definition of scratcher is this.

"An inexperienced, untalented, unclean and untrained tattooer. Though usually found working out of home kitchens, they have been known to find work in disreputable tattoo shops. The word "Scratcher" comes from the look of the, so called "tattoos", they produce. Looking more like colored scratchs, than recognizable images."

or this,

"A tattoo artist who is untrained and usually can't tatoo worth a shit. They frequently place their clients health at risk by re-using needles, not sterilizing equipment, and not covering their machines."

"Scratcher—Someone who tattoos without any training, health code regulations or the proper use of equipment typically causing damage to the skin of people they ink."

pretty much sums it up. 

========================================================================

sources: 

http://www.urbandictionary.com

http://www.inkedmag.com/tattoo-lingo/

and a :12_slight_smile: because I mean no disrespect and only mean this post in a positive good way.

Edited by Dan

5 hours ago, Dan said:

this is the definition IMO,

and at this forum as is  at most "tattoo" related forums the common definition of scratcher is this.

"An inexperienced, untalented, unclean and untrained tattooer. Though usually found working out of home kitchens, they have been known to find work in disreputable tattoo shops. The word "Scratcher" comes from the look of the, so called "tattoos", they produce. Looking more like colored scratchs, than recognizable images."

or this,

"A tattoo artist who is untrained and usually can't tatoo worth a shit. They frequently place their clients health at risk by re-using needles, not sterilizing equipment, and not covering their machines."

"Scratcher—Someone who tattoos without any training, health code regulations or the proper use of equipment typically causing damage to the skin of people they ink."

pretty much sums it up. 

========================================================================

sources: 

http://www.urbandictionary.com

http://www.inkedmag.com/tattoo-lingo/

and a :12_slight_smile: because I mean no disrespect and only mean this post in a positive good way.

It's a good definition Dan ... Only a true "scratcher" who is delusional would take offence to that or feel disrespected by it..

Edited by littlefox1970

Where this tread has gone with the degradation of others is a bummer. We're all entitled to our opinions. I don't there's on this forum who would advocate for tattooing yourself or tattooing outside of a sterile field littlefox1970. That being said this should be a place of advice and guidance. Lets all do our part to keep it that way. 

On 2/25/2017 at 4:13 AM, Baboom said:

Where this tread has gone with the degradation of others is a bummer. We're all entitled to our opinions. I don't there's on this forum who would advocate for tattooing yourself or tattooing outside of a sterile field littlefox1970. That being said this should be a place of advice and guidance. Lets all do our part to keep it that way. 

He is giving advice to others on this forum as if he is a qualified and trained tattoo artist. He is not. He should not behave as if he is.

@Gingerninja Very awesome tiger! 

On the subject of untrained people doing tattoos, everyone has different opinions and I'm a relative new-jack but for me I see tattooing as being almost on the level of dentistry or cosmetic surgery or something in a "you really wanna get that done by a fully trained practitioner" kinda way.

If someone told me they were going to learn how to do a face-lift on themselves by looking on the internet for odd half-pieces of information, buying scalpels on eBay and having a crack in the mirror I'd for sure be concerned about that person, right after puking on his/her shoes at the thought of it. :4_joy:

Hardly finger-painting is it.

Edited by Howie

34 minutes ago, Oiocha said:

So I need the low down.  Where do I need to go in San Diego? I'm flying out at the end of April and I don't have to pay for the trip so, money in my pocket and an itch that needs scratching.

I'm a huge fan of Pancho's work. Pancho's Placas on IG. I've wanted something from him for a while now. 

2 hours ago, Oiocha said:

So I need the low down.  Where do I need to go in San Diego? I'm flying out at the end of April and I don't have to pay for the trip so, money in my pocket and an itch that needs scratching.

Adam Hathorn (aka Honkey Kong) does really cool work and just opened a new shop Big Trouble Tattoo. I got tattooed by him last year and it was a really fun time. 

Haven't been tattooed by him yet, but I really like Rob Benavides' work out of Flying Panther. I've heard great things about the shop, too

10 hours ago, oboogie said:

You are welcome here. Just don't give advice and represent yourself like you are a tattoo artist. Because you aren't.

Lets not steer this down this path again, let the sleeping dog lie.  We can pleasantly interact and talk to people about not condoning their actions.   

Anyways, I had heard of Honkey Kong but he isn't my speed as far as style,  I like window shopping with his instagram but i would never get one. 

Edited by Oiocha

11 hours ago, Oiocha said:

Lets not steer this down this path again, let the sleeping dog lie.  We can pleasantly interact and talk to people about not condoning their actions.   

Anyways, I had heard of Honkey Kong but he isn't my speed as far as style,  I like window shopping with his instagram but i would never get one. 

I will not "let sleeping dogs lie" when someone is actively giving advice as a tattoo artist on this forum when they bought a machine from eBay and are scratching on themselves. Sorry. That's not cool.