Latest tattoo lowdown.....

Lochlan

Yeah, it won't go any further down than in the pic. Recovery has been grand. I did a day, then rested, then another day for the sittings in Belfast. Then when I started flying out to Milan (which I did twice) we did two days back-to-back. Not quite full days, but 3-4 hours and 4-5 the next. I'd have preferred to leave a day in between - that worked really well. Back to back sessions are more gruelling - the swelling was noticeably worse.

A big part of my decision to go with Steve Byrne is his way of taking traditional designs that have been done thousands of times and making them fresh. Plus, I was surrounded by a truly incredible array of vintage and original flash and art from Higgs, Roberts, Malone, and Stell. Focusing on those images while I was going through 4.5 hours of heavy work took it to the next level = )

A big part of my decision to go with Steve Byrne is his way of taking traditional designs that have been done thousands of times and making them fresh. Plus, I was surrounded by a truly incredible array of vintage and original flash and art from Higgs, Roberts, Malone, and Stell. Focusing on those images while I was going through 4.5 hours of heavy work took it to the next level = )

Hey Kev, if you're ever in Houston go check out Virtue Tattoo. They have a ton of original Malone flash. What a freaking awesome shop!!!

Steve Byrne does some nice clean work.He was a guest artist at Daredevil Tattoo in NYC a few years ago.He's one tall dude.My friend was going to get tattooed by him,but didn't have enough cash.Did you ever see Jon Reed Tattooer He does real nice traditional work.I remember seeing his work in the magazines years ago.I believe he used to work in Rhode Island.

Getting this on Sunday, inside of my left arm, which is all mostly Irish stuff. Told Amber that this one was all on her seeing as I had worked with her on my last two she did which were both some what larger pieces. Told her I wanted something Irish, perhaps a banshee, as my highschool rugby team was the "banshees" so she threw this together and texted me the image this morning..

Lana Gooding did the Rollo monkey I use as my avatar. Really nice people, would love to make it down that way and get tattooed.

I went in to get some work done by Lana but she was out on maternity leave. Next time I make it up to Houston I'm gonna have her hook me up with a traditional anchor on my calf.

Just found out that Marcus Kuhn will be back in town at the beginning of January, I'll finally get the color done in my sleeve! Been waiting since May :D

I hope you post that when its done! Ive been thinking about getting something from Marcus! I know he also works in Maine and that's not too far from me. For my other arm its been a choice between Chris O Donnell and Marcus....both just make great sleeve tattoos...but I lean toward Chris because he does hands down my favorite snakes in all of tattooing.

@Hogg Yeah man the last two session were particularly difficult. I had back to back days of color going over parts tattooed from the previous day, I was feeling good going into it and when your getting tattooed by Shige and have traveled half way round the world you just do it, I have always found when I travel for tattoos I sit heaps better because you know its not that easy to return. Shige said he would usually do a piece this size in six session,I was stretched pretty financially with the tattoo and two trips to Japan so he made it happen in four for which I was very grateful. the pics don't show the backside of my leg but he has continued onto my calf between my two Grime pieces.