Latest tattoo lowdown.....

Lochlan

Chad owns Tattoo Paradise in DC and Maryland.

I don't think he owns Tattoo Paradise unless he's some kind of silent partner. The reason I say so is because we were all joking around about him getting fired when he went to shake/mix his orange ink and ink went all over the shop floor because the cap was broken. Chad said, "I guess he can fire me if he wants to." And he really appeared to be just another artist working in the shop that day.

hgiles, where is chad tattooing at?

But yeah, Chad is all over the place travel-wise. I thought he told me he was going to New England area to have lobster macaroni and cheese and do some tattooing and I hear now that he's in California at State of Grace. He said he's gonna settle in in DC saying traveling is wearing him out lately. I guess I don't know where he is tattooing...I just call the shop and ask them to call me next time he's in town -- that's how I work it.

Can someone explain what the difference is between traditional and neo-traditional? I've seen this term used on several sites.

Loosely, "neo-traditional" is a modern interpretation of the classic variety. Usually any particular artist's own style affecting how a traditional image is layed out.

Nothing "neo" here, just straight-up Traditional American tattoing done by the man I believe is one of the masters of the style today, Nick Colella of Chicago Tattooing Company. He laid this on me this afternoon in about three and a half hours.

I want to get Mr. Collela to do a full chest piece eagle on me!

Check out this chest piece, both by Nick Colella. Can't go wrong, the man has that Traditional thing going on!

This pic is from the Chicago Tattooing Company website, there are many more there and on Nicks site, which is linked from there.

And if that ain't enough, take a look at his Tumbler feed...

http://chicagosfavoritetattooer.tumblr.com/

Thanks Kyle. Thinking on it yesterday, I've been getting tattooed at Chicago Tattoo for 38 years now. Yeah, there was a break in there while I had kids, all that stuff, but I've got some more plans now.

I got my first work there from Dale Grande, and have one arm done almost completely by him, and my other arm sleeved by Miles Maniaci, when he was still working at Chicago Tattoo. He had to work around more of Dale's stuff, and while he was working on that, I watched Nick work on a steady stream of people, really liked his stuff.

Nick has been there for what, fifteen years, twenty years, something like that, but I never got any work from him until this last year. I always figured I'd have him do any trad style work I had done. No regrets. I can only recommend him to anyone that comes to Chicago.

Maio Desa put this on my knee earlier, really happy with it!

I'd love to say I sat well, but that's simply not true - not so much the pain, but had a dizzy moment early on and couldn't stop shaking my leg for most of it...8934ebeea42b11e180d51231380fcd7e_7.jpg

Mario does killer work, and that's no exception!

Gotta agree with you about the kneecap...when I had mine done by Nick Colella it had to be, not the most painful, but the most intense tattooing experience I have ever had.