Latest tattoo lowdown.....

Lochlan

@mattmcclaintattoo, thank you so much for your posts! That front piece is too damn tough--I love it already. And that Eric Inksmith story and tattoo are so, so cool. Awesome stuff!

- - - Updated - - -

I love that! Please tell us more about the hand tool technique. Is it different from Japanese tebori? I bet it hurt less than a machine (I thought tebori did). How long did it take?

I've never been tattooed with a tebori but the technique seems to differ in that the tebori is longer and is applied using both hands, the thumb is used to support and direct the business end of the tool. The hand tool that Adam uses is more the size and shape of a pencil and is held in the same way. The needles are the same tattoo needles used in regular tattoo machines.

It hurt less than being tattooed with a machine but by the end it was getting a bit sore. I was supprised how quickly it was done (it's about hand sized, across the wings of the moth). About three and a half hours of tattooing.

One major difference, for a lower leg tattoo, is the absence of any swelling or lower leg pain. Usually I suffer really badly with, post tattoo leg swelling and pain.

I've never been tattooed with a tebori but the technique seems to differ in that the tebori is longer and is applied using both hands, the thumb is used to support and direct the business end of the tool. The hand tool that Adam uses is more the size and shape of a pencil and is held in the same way. The needles are the same tattoo needles used in regular tattoo machines.

It hurt less than being tattooed with a machine but by the end it was getting a bit sore. I was supprised how quickly it was done (it's about hand sized, across the wings of the moth). About three and a half hours of tattooing.

One major difference, for a lower leg tattoo, is the absence of any swelling or lower leg pain. Usually I suffer really badly with, post tattoo leg swelling and pain.

Awesome! Keep us posted on how the healing process goes. I hope it goes better than with your past (and my most recent) lower leg tattoo.

sorry about the random posts and your welcome to the comments about my tattoo posts im still not used to tagging people, Eric told me a story about mike malone he finished my tattoo, and told me for my help it would be a free tattoo, i tried to tip him, and he told me "i said it was free." he then proceeded to tell me to never double cross a tattooer he said "i told you it would be free and thats what it is, mike malone told me a story about a tattoo he did at china sea, said he did a panther on a kid and when he turned his back to break his station down the kid fled the shop without paying, he told me that as soon as the kid made it into the street he was hit and killed by a bus, and thats why you never double cross a tattooer." my mouth was dropped by how awesome this story was haha. thanks again for checking out my stuff!

just flew to SF to and saw @Scott Sylvia today for a session on my back. was very fucking cool to say the least. I walked in and within minutes scott,katie,nick and two out of towners were there. I couldnt believe all but nick have been interviewed by scott and all are people I would love to have tattoo me. I liken it to a kid seeing alot of his favorite sports players in one place.

just flew to SF to and saw @Scott Sylvia today for a session on my back. was very fucking cool to say the least. I walked in and within minutes scott,katie,nick and two out of towners were there. I couldnt believe all but nick have been interviewed by scott and all are people I would love to have tattoo me. I liken it to a kid seeing alot of his favorite sports players in one place.

I felt the same way walking in having Tim Lehi, Juan Puente, Dan Gilsdorf, and Nick Rodin right there was pretty intense. Spider Murphy's was the same way with Matt Howse, Theo Mindell, Paul Dobleman and Stuart Cripwell. Honestly I am not a sports guy, but those kind of moments I get the appeal.

I felt the same way walking in having Tim Lehi, Juan Puente, Dan Gilsdorf, and Nick Rodin right there was pretty intense. Spider Murphy's was the same way with Matt Howse, Theo Mindell, Paul Dobleman and Stuart Cripwell. Honestly I am not a sports guy, but those kind of moments I get the appeal.

I got tattooed by Chad Koeplinger at the end of the last day of the Cleveland Convention with Greg Christian, Mario Desa, Mike Wilson, and David Maynard (convention organizer and awesome tattooer from Cleveland area) just hanging out shooting the shit with Chad. Same deal...like hanging with your favorite band!

I'll post some pictures when I'm back in Montreal because I don't know if I can do it on my phone but I got tattooed by Seth Wood and Thomas Hooper yesterday. Seth put some illustrations into a book he otherwise finished a year ago and now I have the world's smallest Baphomet tattoo. I also started on a raven sleeve with Thomas Hooper and it's shaping up great so far.

just make a tattoo trip to tulsa to see richard then hit elm street in dallas and down to rock of ages in austin.

I will am planning a trip to Austin in January or February. I may even make it out to the San Angelo convention, but I don't see Oklahoma in my near future. But six years ago I didn't see a wife and two kids in my near future, and look at me now. So who knows what will happen.

That looks amazing @Graeme

Do we get to see the whole Seth Wood tattoo?

I'll try to put together a good photo with the newest additions, it's hard to take a decent looking picture of it because it wraps around my arm, though here's a picture of it from Seth's blog from when it was first finished about a year ago:

Seth Wood Tattoo

tumblr_m1i9l7PXN31qhvwbto1_500.jpg

7018357075_cb891401b7_b.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Ron Henry Wells just posted a slew of his recent work on his blog. fuck is his stuff amazing.

I have a couple of tattoos from Ron and, yes, his tattoos are amazing...like "holy fuck, I can't believe he did that" amazing, especially with some of the negative space tattoos, and he's all around a really awesome dude to get tattooed by. I highly recommend the experience.