Latest tattoo lowdown.....

Lochlan

Why is it a shame that his tattooer copied someone else's style? Anymore, almost all tattooing is evocative of some other persons work.

So you think it is ok if another tattooist gets one of your custom tattoos from the internet and traces it line for line and passes it on as their own?

Im sorry if I have offended a small number but people here on the forum but tattooists like Gen from the biscuit family in Korea are leeches in my opinion.

I live by good morals and If something isn't right I will speak my mind, if you don't have morals what do you have right.

This guy has mad skills why does he deem it appropriate to disrespect another artist and his client who has probably worked damn hard to afford it and endured much pain to get his custom tattoo.

I was gutted when I stumbled upon this on Gens' instagram a while back, my dragon is now reproduced onto probably and unsuspecting client of Gen......thanks

So you think it is ok if another tattooist gets one of your custom tattoos from the internet and traces it line for line and passes it on as their own?

Im sorry if I have offended a small number but people here on the forum but tattooists like Gen from the biscuit family in Korea are leeches in my opinion.

I live by good morals and If something isn't right I will speak my mind, if you don't have morals what do you have right.

This guy has mad skills why does he deem it appropriate to disrespect another artist and his client who has probably worked damn hard to afford it and endured much pain to get his custom tattoo.

I was gutted when I stumbled upon this on Gens' instagram a while back, my dragon is now reproduced onto probably and unsuspecting client of Gen......thanks

I hear what you're saying, and if he is reproducing line-by-line, yeah, I wouldn't be real happy about it.

On the other hand, how many times have, say, Sailor Jerry's designs, custom or not, been reproduced, line-by-line? I guess it would all go to how it was done, as a straight copy, or an "influenced design", or what.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I take your point there, and get why you would be especially pissed seeing that this guy ripped off one of your tattoos, but unless a) this particular tattoo was directly lifted from Shige or any other artist, and b) that the client asked for a copy of somebody else's work, disparaging comments about people's tattoos bum me out because these tattoos are on people, they have to live with them, and often they don't even know that they're getting straight copies of other peoples' tattoos. If it means that I have no morals because I'd rather not make somebody feel shitty about a tattoo that they're stoked on, then so be it.

For what it's worth, my "dickheads" comment was mostly about people complaining about the cost of good tattoos. There's no place for that here.

I take your point there, and get why you would be especially pissed seeing that this guy ripped off one of your tattoos, but unless a) this particular tattoo was directly lifted from Shige or any other artist, and b) that the client asked for a copy of somebody else's work, disparaging comments about people's tattoos bum me out because these tattoos are on people, they have to live with them, and often they don't even know that they're getting straight copies of other peoples' tattoos. If it means that I have no morals because I'd rather not make somebody feel shitty about a tattoo that they're stoked on, then so be it.

For what it's worth, my "dickheads" comment was mostly about people complaining about the cost of good tattoos. There's no place for that here.

I take your point too. On second thought I should have been more sincere towards @thecatatafish about his tattoo, although I am sure he knows what Gen is about otherwise he wouldn't have made the comment about some people on here not digging him.

Im going to end this now because its not what im about and I respect this forum and the majority of the people that contribute.

My wife and I got tattooed by Matt Arriola yesterday. The tiger was three sittings, but only took about three and a half hours.

That fucking tiger! Ack. Matt, Lehi, and Bryan Burk are my three favorite artists for tigers. She got a good one, for sure.

And that girl head's on you? We gotta catch up soon. I didn't know you were going back in the chair. It looks great, but you knew that.

Obviously you have a nice tattoo it's just a shame it's a Shige knock off.

No offense taken to any of yours or other people's posts. You have one of the nicest collections of tattoos I've seen and I'm pretty envious. Your back in progress is turning out to be one of my favourites ever. I envy those who have the time and money to travel to world class people for their tattoos. I unfortunately am not currently in the position to do so myself. I can understand how you feel, I would be pretty bummed if someone copied a tattoo that was on me. But I see it slightly differently. HK doesnt have any artists that do the neo traditional style, and I could see from his tattoos that he had got the technique down, so I gave him some goldfish reference from a book of Chinese goldfish paintings. If you are talking about the water, I don't see how it's any different from the scores of people that emulated filip leu style water, shige included in his early years. I think Gen just saw who he thought was number 1 and is trying to get on that level, also much like how shiges early stuff looks like filips or jack mosher stuff. Just spending a couple weeks around Gen, I did notice how hard working he is, he finished a 5 hr session on me, and sat down and did 3 paintings immediately after he broke down his station. I don't agree with copying people's custom tattoos, but I do think he's spent a lot of time figuring a lot of the technical stuff out by himself, that I couldn't deny that he's a solid tattooer. That being said, I did go to Gen because he could do 'shige style', but I don't see how it's any different than going to get a tattoo from Capilli coz he can do Bailey Hunter Robinson or Stuart Cripwell kinda style?

No offense taken to any of yours or other people's posts. You have one of the nicest collections of tattoos I've seen and I'm pretty envious. Your back in progress is turning out to be one of my favourites ever. I envy those who have the time and money to travel to world class people for their tattoos. I unfortunately am not currently in the position to do so myself. I can understand how you feel, I would be pretty bummed if someone copied a tattoo that was on me. But I see it slightly differently. HK doesnt have any artists that do the neo traditional style, and I could see from his tattoos that he had got the technique down, so I gave him some goldfish reference from a book of Chinese goldfish paintings. If you are talking about the water, I don't see how it's any different from the scores of people that emulated filip leu style water, shige included in his early years. I think Gen just saw who he thought was number 1 and is trying to get on that level, also much like how shiges early stuff looks like filips or jack mosher stuff. Just spending a couple weeks around Gen, I did notice how hard working he is, he finished a 5 hr session on me, and sat down and did 3 paintings immediately after he broke down his station. I don't agree with copying people's custom tattoos, but I do think he's spent a lot of time figuring a lot of the technical stuff out by himself, that I couldn't deny that he's a solid tattooer. That being said, I did go to Gen because he could do 'shige style', but I don't see how it's any different than going to get a tattoo from Capilli coz he can do Bailey Hunter Robinson or Stuart Cripwell kinda style?

This thread is starting to veer from what it should be, but I want to address a few things:

1. If you can't afford Shige or good artists not copying a style, then don't get a tattoo by a second rate tattooer. Save your money. Wait. And travel if need be. I would be covered by now if I didn't do this. My next appt isn't until July so I have time to save for a quality tattoo from one of the best. Another example: I always wanted roses on my shoulder, so I waited until one of the top rose tattooers came to town (Scott Sylvia). I spent almost a year saving money so I could proudly wear "the best roses".

2. If you don't live near top artists, then you need to travel for tattoos if its something you're serious about. There are way too many young people settling for what's convenient because they want to be a part of the community.

3. All artists paint and draw and do creative things in between tattoos. I agree it shows integrity and hard work, but it doesn't mean they're developing their own style or pushing the boundaries of tattooing. There is taking idea from masters, but having a unique style is different (and possible) than staying true to one artist's style. This guy is obviously a decent artist, but its clear he's copying Shige. Just like so many artist are copying Hooper and Jondix right now.

If I'm right, then lets be done with this and get back to getting and sharing awesome tattoos!

This thread is starting to veer from what it should be, but I want to address a few things:

1. If you can't afford Shige or good artists not copying a style, then don't get a tattoo by a second rate tattooer. Save your money. Wait. And travel if need be. I would be covered by now if I didn't do this. My next appt isn't until July so I have time to save for a quality tattoo from one of the best. Another example: I always wanted roses on my shoulder, so I waited until one of the top rose tattooers came to town (Scott Sylvia). I spent almost a year saving money so I could proudly wear "the best roses".

2. If you don't live near top artists, then you need to travel for tattoos if its something you're serious about. There are way too many young people settling for what's convenient because they want to be a part of the community.

3. All artists paint and draw and do creative things in between tattoos. I agree it shows integrity and hard work, but it doesn't mean they're developing their own style or pushing the boundaries of tattooing. There is taking idea from masters, but having a unique style is different (and possible) than staying true to one artist's style. This guy is obviously a decent artist, but its clear he's copying Shige. Just like so many artist are copying Hooper and Jondix right now.

If I'm right, then lets be done with this and get back to getting and sharing awesome tattoos!

I don't think you're entirely right. You don't know me yet you judge me about rushing into a tattoo because I want to be part of the community. I don't know where you are pulling that from. There are other things to factor in that you have conveniently left out due to your own perspective. It's cool you saved up for a year to get a couple roses from an artist you think is the best. I personally plan big pieces, the last tattoo I got was a half sleeve that took 13 hours, two and a half years ago in the UK. Since then I have also been saving. I fully intend to to travel to get work from artists I like, like later on in the year when I travel to the uk, so I think it's unfair of you to make these assumptions about me. Also if you think every tattoo on your body is completely unique and the tattoo artists that did them never referenced another tattooer in his or her career, I think you must be kidding yourself just a bit. Convenience also seems to factor into your decision making since you 'waited' for Scott Sylvia to come to your town. There really is no need to be so high and mighty. I think I shall go back to just lurking from now on. So long folks.

I don't think you're entirely right. You don't know me yet you judge me about rushing into a tattoo because I want to be part of the community. I don't know where you are pulling that from. There are other things to factor in that you have conveniently left out due to your own perspective. It's cool you saved up for a year to get a couple roses from an artist you think is the best. I personally plan big pieces, the last tattoo I got was a half sleeve that took 13 hours, two and a half years ago. Since then I have also been saving. I fully intend to to travel to get work from artists I like, like later on in the year when I travel to the uk, so I think it's unfair of you to make these assumptions about me. Also if you think every tattoo on your body is completely unique and the tattoo artists that did them never referenced another tattooer in his or her career, I think you must be kidding yourself just a bit. Convenience also seems to factor into your decision making since you 'waited' for Scott Sylvia to come to your town. There really is no need to be so high and mighty. I think I shall go back to just lurking from now on. So long folks.

Never meant to judge or disrespect. That was the vibe I got from your post and wanted to plant a new perspective on your dilemma about cost and travel, that's all.

And since I can't afford to travel, like you said you can't either... I'm fortunate enough to live somewhere that attracts quality tattoos. This thread has made me realize the importance of waiting and traveling for tattoos, if need be. I got really lucky that Scott came to NYC. Other wise I would have traveled to SF. No need to judge my choice.

NOW I'm done this rant. Wow. I have way too much respect for this board to keep up this convo.

Back to tattoos :)

I don't think you're entirely right. You don't know me yet you judge me about rushing into a tattoo because I want to be part of the community. I don't know where you are pulling that from. There are other things to factor in that you have conveniently left out due to your own perspective. It's cool you saved up for a year to get a couple roses from an artist you think is the best. I personally plan big pieces, the last tattoo I got was a half sleeve that took 13 hours, two and a half years ago. Since then I have also been saving. I fully intend to to travel to get work from artists I like, like later on in the year when I travel to the uk, so I think it's unfair of you to make these assumptions about me. Also if you think every tattoo on your body is completely unique and the tattoo artists that did them never referenced another tattooer in his or her career, I think you must be kidding yourself just a bit. Convenience also seems to factor into your decision making since you 'waited' for Scott Sylvia to come to your town. There really is no need to be so high and mighty. I think I shall go back to just lurking from now on. So long folks.

Dont leave! i think you're tattoo is fucking sick dude and i honestly don't see how it's a shige rip off. so congratulations to you!

I popped into the Pearl Harbor Gift Shop today to get a couple little ones done. (And by popped in I mean I got to the shop an hour and a half before opening to ensure I got a sitting - sigh.) Here are my two latest, both by Dan Innes. Nothing too fancy or complicated, but both are images I've admired for quite a while. By the way, The Pearl has just hired Nathan Draper ( http://www.nathandrapertattooer.com/ ) Great tattooer and from what I've heard, a really awesome guy as well. I'm looking forward to getting something done by Nathan.

I popped into the Pearl Harbor Gift Shop today to get a couple little ones done. (And by popped in I mean I got to the shop an hour and a half before opening to ensure I got a sitting - sigh.) Here are my two latest, both by Dan Innes. Nothing too fancy or complicated, but both are images I've admired for quite a while.

Is there ever a week you don't pop in to the Pearl? :)

Great tattoos! I love the clasping hands image as well; eventually I plan to get it in that location too. Just out of curiosity, how many walk-ins were lined up by the time the shop opened? And isn't Sunday Glennie's walk-in day and Dan's tomorrow?

Hey Shaun - I know, I'm a bit of a regular. I'm in the Market almost every day of the week, so I end up walking by The Pearl all the time. How can I resist?

Today there were 5 of us lined up. Many weekends there are 10-12 waiting when the door opens. Its best to go an hour to an hour and a half early to make sure you get in. Or, if you can, go on a weekday as the lines are usually smaller. Usually several more people show up at 11 (opening) too.

Glennie usually works Sundays but there was a note on the door saying she was not in today, so Tim came in early. I'm not sure about Dan's usual Sunday routine, but yes, he does do Mondays and he starts earlier. I think the shop opens at 9am on Mondays, but don't quote me on that. Always good to call ahead to find out exactly what the scoop is.

hehe yes thank you! Just in case the watermark on the picture doesn't give this enough credit: This is of course by the one and only Valerie Vargas at Frithstreet Tattoo! :o

Wow. I have some guesses who this is by but would rather you tell us!!! Congrats!