Latest tattoo lowdown.....

Lochlan

I've wanted a tattoo for years, but never thought I had a good enough "reason". Well, I finally have that reason. All my life I have been extremely overweight. I'm talking 5ft 8in and weighed 330lbs. My wife and I had our first son, and when he was 1.5 years old we were talking about having a second baby. It finally sunk in that if I didn't do something I was going to have a heart attack/die and wouldn't be around to take care of my wife and kids.

So with the support of my wife, I went on a diet. From July 31, 2011 to July 31, 2012 I went from 327.8 lbs to 206lbs. Over the last year I've kept the weight off, and I finally decided I had my "reason" to get a tattoo.

After doing months of research, I decided Kore Flatmo was the person I wanted to tattoo me. I went through his consultation process and I have been put on the schedule Aug 16 and 17.

I decided if I do this, I'm doing it right and doing it big. I'm jumping in with a full black/gray chest piece. I gave Kore a couple ideas I would like in the tattoo, but left the rest up to him. I haven't seen his completed study yet, but this is what he was thinking. One side of my chest will be a skull draped in linen. The other side will be two sparrows interacting with each other. Then right in the middle will be a portrait of my wife's eyes. He said he'd use the gray scale to show depth and make it appear like the eyes are in the background and the sparrows are the first thing your eyes see.

Sorry for the long winded post, I'm just excited to get this going, and see what Kore comes up with. After talking to him, I know he's the right man for the job. I'll post pictures once I get started.

Fuck yeah, dude!! Nice job.

@kalknis that Higgs mummy pops up more and more each year, I swear. Dig that tree stump, too!

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't even got this tattoo started and I spent a few hours today dreaming about and looking at ideas for a tibetan skull back piece.

From Kore or from someone else? Saw one Dana Helmuth did five or six years ago that always stuck with me.

From Kore or from someone else? Saw one Dana Helmuth did five or six years ago that always stuck with me.

I was just looking at pictures on here of previous ones that had been done. I did find a couple Kore has done, and they were sick, so I'll probably talk to him about it in August. I'm not opposed to anyone though. It might be cool to have other artists work on me as well. I'm open to suggestions.

I ended up in The Pearl again this weekend. Yesterday we really closed in on finishing my left arm. Only a few spots left at this point. Tim made a landscape with a palm tree in the foreground and added a little filler skull on the inside of my elbow. I have to say I am very pleased with the progress. One more session in June should wrap things up. I apologize for the crappy pictures.

Got a little walk in action today, at The OkeyDoke

Tattoo by Alex Snelgrove

photo_thumb.jpg [

Nice one! I am super excited to watch Alex Snelgrove grow as a tattooer because while she's putting on great tattoos right now, I think as she tattoos more and gets more experience she is going to be really amazing. She is such an incredible artist and her handpokes are completely ridiculous. There's a handpoked portrait on her instagram that is better than what I've seen a lot of people do with a machine.

- - - Updated - - -

Here you go, handpoked portait by Alex Snelgrove (this tattoo isn't on me):

611a76d059d711e2ab5722000a9e0907_7.jpg

http://instagram.com/snelgrove

Nice one! I am super excited to watch Alex Snelgrove grow as a tattooer because while she's putting on great tattoos right now, I think as she tattoos more and gets more experience she is going to be really amazing. She is such an incredible artist and her handpokes are completely ridiculous. There's a handpoked portrait on her instagram that is better than what I've seen a lot of people do with a machine.

- - - Updated - - -

Instagram

I walked in hoping for Franz stefanik to do it, but couldn't be more happy with what Alex put on me. She's amazing for only having a year under her belt.

That stick and poke is too dope.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

http://instagram.com/snelgrove

I walked in hoping for Franz stefanik to do it, but couldn't be more happy with what Alex put on me. She's amazing for only having a year under her belt.

That stick and poke is too dope.

@else, from your visit to Electric 13, do you get the impression that they're walk-in friendly? I'm gonna be in Austin next week and I'd like to grab something small if I have time, but I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic.

I know that they *do* take walk-ins (they took one while I was there in fact), but you'd be best off to call ahead... For all but the last hour or so that I was there it was just me and Paco.

It's a really nice shop with a great atmosphere. Super comfortable!! Spacious. Parking right there is a little bit of a hassle though, but I expect that's the case over much of Austin.

@ faw3310.....That's a great story and I congratulate you on your strength and perseverance. I just watched Scott's interview with Kore Flatmo and was fascinated. You are certainly in good hands and I can't wait to see the results of your collaboration. Keep up the good work !