Latest tattoo lowdown.....

Lochlan

I mean this nice: What is it? I know it's a snake and flames, but what is the rest of it and what is it overall? It kind of looks like the bottle of Shalimar perfume my mother used to have.

Abstract (or weird?) can certainly be cool.

If that was a bottle of perfume, I might have to buy it without even smelling it.

Thanks, Rob! Much appreciated (:

I really don't think Mike's tattoo is bad either, and there are plenty of images on this forum that could be considered overplayed. It's as classic of an image as the Durer praying hands, the lady Guadalupe, or any other religious theme.

Personally I like the "classic tattoos" aka very much repeated tattoos. I got a skull with a snake and dagger. The only time I find an image "played out" is when it wasn't a good image to begin with. Fuck it get what you want and give the finger to the people who rag on you.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

It's loosely based on an engraving from this series:

plate47elementa(sized).jpg

The image itself is an alchemical illustration depicting the distillation of the lapis(or philosopher's stone). The annotations mention three types of distillery: cold, hot, and dry. This one is hot, describing the process as burning the lapis at a high temperature for a very long time. The series shows a homonculoid creature and fire within the bottle, and changes into a snake, which eventually eats its tail(ouroboros).

It's all very metaphysical and dense, but very interesting to read about. I'll take some pictures of the book and the images I referenced when I get home if you'd like to see them.

Wow, that's quite a lot of interesting stuff in there. I knew there was something in that image, just had no idea what.

That's actually one thing that disappoints me about a lot of posts showing people's tattoos. There's rarely enough explanation to go with it, leaving me with unsatisfied curiosity.

Abstract (or weird?) can certainly be cool.

If that was a bottle of perfume, I might have to buy it without even smelling it.

Yeah, I thought it was weird and cool and just had to ask. I only have boring tattoos. But I'm working on it.

Hey man, well thanks for asking about it! I'm definitely with you, tattoos with deeper meaning are really fascinating to me and I'd like to keep working more with deliberate imagery. I think it adds more of a talisman effect to the tattoo when you can pinpoint exactly what the image means and why it has an impact on your life. I guess it really comes down to symbolism, and pretty much all tattoos in of themselves are essentially symbols. I could talk ad nauseum about symbolism and tattoos, but I'll save that for the right conversation. :)

Hey man, well thanks for asking about it! I'm definitely with you, tattoos with deeper meaning are really fascinating to me and I'd like to keep working more with deliberate imagery. I think it adds more of a talisman effect to the tattoo when you can pinpoint exactly what the image means and why it has an impact on your life. I guess it really comes down to symbolism, and pretty much all tattoos in of themselves are essentially symbols. I could talk ad nauseum about symbolism and tattoos, but I'll save that for the right conversation. :)
No matter what "deeper meaning" or statement I was trying to make with my earlier tattoos, they have come to simply represent my state of being at the moment I got the tattoo - the script on my arms says one thing, but the "meaning" has much more to do with the people and places surrounding me than a literal definition. The rose and dagger on my leg pretty much just means "I like good tattoos."

I tend to agree. I had this journal entry I wrote when I was 22 and got my first tattoo...all about what it "meant". I was drunk when I wrote it and in retrospect it was pretty much cringe-worthy bs. Like you need some kind of back-up reasoning to have the tattoo. You don't! You can just get one (or 20). Liberating. While the symbol may have meaning, universal or just to you, it seems to lose some value when explained. If someone wants to know, I prefer to keep it simple: "interpret it how you wish," or, "I like it."

No matter what "deeper meaning" or statement I was trying to make with my earlier tattoos, they have come to simply represent my state of being at the moment I got the tattoo - the script on my arms says one thing, but the "meaning" has much more to do with the people and places surrounding me than a literal definition. The rose and dagger on my leg pretty much just means "I like good tattoos."

Oh, surely! Basically what I was saying was that I really enjoy when the imagery is crafted with specific intent. I guess a most obvious example would be Robert Ryan's work. Just as in the alchemical illustrations, every image that is depicted was chosen deliberately for a specific intent of illustration or invocation, and I think it's very powerful stuff.

My intention wasn't to discredit tattoos that are chosen specifically for their artistic merit, as I don't think that tattoos need to have meaning whatsoever. I also have tattoos that were chosen purely for the imagery and it's just as you said, they're more of a reminder of what was going on in that time of my life. I don't think there's any real debate as far as which is more valid, it really doesn't matter beyond what it means to the person wearing the tattoo. Pretty much what I was getting at is that I find talisman tattoos to be really exciting and interesting, and I would like to do more work in that vein.

Oh, surely! Basically what I was saying was that I really enjoy when the imagery is crafted with specific intent. I guess a most obvious example would be Robert Ryan's work. Just as in the alchemical illustrations, every image that is depicted was chosen deliberately for a specific intent of illustration or invocation, and I think it's very powerful stuff.
Yep, I completely agree. Reference material for this type of stuff is always cool to see. There's often even more hidden in those images that could otherwise go unnoticed. I feel like the best of these occult image tattoos also stand alone and are powerful without knowing where it came from.

Another day, another trip to The Pearl. I'm working on filling in my right arm at the moment. Today Tim Pausinger added a couple of smaller tattoos. First, a very traditional "lucky" with four aces above it, and second, a sailor girl head that I've wanted for a long time now. I also had a couple of touch ups done, so I'm sitting here with both arms taped up tightly wondering how I am going to get a fork up to my mouth. /searches for a feed-bag

Another day' date=' another trip to The Pearl. I'm working on filling in my right arm at the moment. Today Tim Pausinger added a couple of smaller tattoos. First, a very traditional "lucky" with four aces above it, and second, a sailor girl head that I've wanted for a long time now. I also had a couple of touch ups done, so I'm sitting here with both arms taped up tightly wondering how I am going to get a fork up to my mouth. /searches for a feed-bag[/quote']

NIce!!

Holy hell. Incredible.

Thanks. As you may or may not be able to tell from the photo I am black, so that provides an extra bit of a challenge to the artist, but as you can see things worked out well. I'm probably around Chris Brown's complexion but A) I have better tattoos and B) I'm not a total douchebag. I thought it was worth mentioning since the issue of how tattoos come out on darker skin seems to come up on the internet a lot. Maybe I should dig up that older thread on here that I saw about the topic.

Another day, another trip to The Pearl. I'm working on filling in my right arm at the moment. Today Tim Pausinger added a couple of smaller tattoos. First, a very traditional "lucky" with four aces above it, and second, a sailor girl head that I've wanted for a long time now. I also had a couple of touch ups done, so I'm sitting here with both arms taped up tightly wondering how I am going to get a fork up to my mouth. /searches for a feed-bag

This is awesome. The last year of looking at tons of tattoos has really given me an appreciation of traditional work that I didn't have before.

I am really liking this one a lot dude nice