Latest tattoo lowdown.....

Lochlan

And now for something completely different.

I had this piece done on Saturday. It's a tribute to my pet Sun Conure. Done by Papa Joe Dawson. His lines can be a little quirky sometimes, but that's partly why I like his work.

35jcyvn.jpg

You said the same about the linework on the other tattoo you posted and while I can see what you're saying, there are bad lines that are because the person who did the tattoo has no idea what they're doing, and then there are lines that look like they're handmade and give the tattoo character because this is tattoos and not some sterile photoshop-retouched bullshit, and you got the second, friend.

Thanks for the kind words Graeme. After the first tattoo I got (I went in blindly and just got it before doing my research), I was rather upset that everything wasn't perfect, which caused me to reevaluate my artist and go to just about every single shop in my area to look at portfolios. After seeing more of his work and seeing everyone else's work, I really began to appreciate his style, and I love his coloring. So I felt really good going into this session and knew what to expect. With my expectations properly set, I'll have to say that I'm blown away by it every time I see it. There are a few flaws, but I like them. I feel very lucky that I landed in the right shop.

It's funny, because 2 months ago, I wasn't even considering a tattoo. I had a small conversation with him while getting my hair cut. He was in the barber chair next to me complaining about the tattoo reality shows. I'm really looking forward to getting more work done by him, but I don't have any pressing design ideas right now. I may just have to get some of his flash tattooed on me.

Its always good to remember that even the absolute best artists are still human, and will make mistakes. Customers who want millimetre perfect tattoos need to be reminded they are put on by hand, not by a laser etching robot, small imperfections don't make it a bad tattoo. I am glad you appreciate that as well!

A little over a week ago I had some work done on an ever growing back piece, and I am stoked, but I am writing right now to distract myself from the fact that sometime in my sleep I acquired a very large, very itchy mosquito bite RIGHT in the center of my healing tattoo, and...it itches...*so*...much. I do not know if this is the right thread in which to post this, but I figured you folks might be able to empathize with me...omg...it itches...it is overwhelming!!! Ahhh!!

A little over a week ago I had some work done on an ever growing back piece, and I am stoked, but I am writing right now to distract myself from the fact that sometime in my sleep I acquired a very large, very itchy mosquito bite RIGHT in the center of my healing tattoo, and...it itches...*so*...much. I do not know if this is the right thread in which to post this, but I figured you folks might be able to empathize with me...omg...it itches...it is overwhelming!!! Ahhh!!

I think ice is your best bet for a little relief from the itch.

This is so sharp and beautiful! I have been back and forth about what I like more. The new watercolor inspired tattoos without clean lines can be so different and interesting but now that it has been out there a while it is less and less different. Then I see something like this with such defined borders and I am wowed.

What do you guys think about the newer styles of tattoos with a watercolor feel to them? Do you mostly prefer clean lines?

I had this piece done on Saturday. It's a tribute to my pet Sun Conure. Done by Papa Joe Dawson. His lines can be a little quirky sometimes, but that's partly why I like his work.

35jcyvn.jpg

35jcyvn.jpg

I think what stands out most for me in terms of this being a really rad tattoo, is that there is no negative space left within the lines, all of the color is packed right to the edge. Most people can't pull that look off for shit, and I don't really care for the aesthetic. This one has a lot of continuity within the bird and within the anchor, so they really stand out from each other and you don't lose sight of the design amongst everything going on in the tattoo. I like it a lot.

I had/still have concerns with the anchor competing with the Sun Conure for attention. In the original sketch, there was a big circle at the "T" where the metal and wood meet. I went in two days before my appointment and had him edit that out. In the original sketch, my eye was stuck on the big circle right above the sun conure's head. It disrupted the basic "Z" flow of the design too much and would have competed too much with the red circle on the anchor and the conure's head.

I do think the bright colors on the anchor and rope compete with the sun conure. It would be nice if the anchor was a little more subdued so that the conure stands out a little more. The rope is a bit much, and the tattoo would have looked cleaner without it, but the red on the anchor frames the tattoo nicely.

I guess I could have given a whole lot more input, but I didn't want to be pain in ass and I wanted the artist to just do what he does best. I'm very happy with it. It's big and bold and colorful.

So anyway, the process was fun but exhausting.

I think what stands out most for me in terms of this being a really rad tattoo, is that there is no negative space left within the lines, all of the color is packed right to the edge. Most people can't pull that look off for shit, and I don't really care for the aesthetic. This one has a lot of continuity within the bird and within the anchor, so they really stand out from each other and you don't lose sight of the design amongst everything going on in the tattoo. I like it a lot.

I had/still have concerns with the anchor competing with the Sun Conure for attention. In the original sketch, there was a big circle at the "T" where the metal and wood meet. I went in two days before my appointment and had him edit that out. In the original sketch, my eye was stuck on the big circle right above the sun conure's head. It disrupted the basic "Z" flow of the design too much and would have competed too much with the red circle on the anchor and the conure's head.

I do think the bright colors on the anchor and rope compete with the sun conure. It would be nice if the anchor was a little more subdued so that the conure stands out a little more. The rope is a bit much, and the tattoo would have looked cleaner without it, but the red on the anchor frames the tattoo nicely.

I guess I could have given a whole lot more input, but I didn't want to be pain in ass and I wanted the artist to just do what he does best. I'm very happy with it. It's big and bold and colorful.

So anyway, the process was fun but exhausting.

Dude, we all believe you have a nice tattoo. I recognize your criticisms, but I'm telling you, the rope and the anchor suit the bird perfectly. The colors don't compete in my eyes, because the anchor is so gray, while the bird is the first thing that draws my eyes. I personally think the rope adds to the tattoo, it creates movement.

You did good, don't second guess yourself

I'm really looking forward to getting more work done by him, but I don't have any pressing design ideas right now. I may just have to get some of his flash tattooed on me.

based on the work you have gotten from him so far i think it is safe to trust him 100% and ask him for suggestions.

Personally, I love the rope. I think that's what makes this tattoo. The way it's hanging off of the anchor looks so natural but doesn't take away from the image, which gives you a nice detailed tattoo without feeling too busy.

What do you guys think about the newer styles of tattoos with a watercolor feel to them? Do you mostly prefer clean lines?

It's summer so I see a lot of tattoos on the street and I occasionally see "painterly" tattoos with no outlines, etc., and I'm sure they were beautiful when they were new, but they don't hold up. The colors fade, as they inevitably will, and you're left with nothing much. Whereas when you see much older traditional tattoos...eagles, crosses, roses, panthers, etc...even if they're old, faded, the lines have thickened, and so on, I still know exactly what the tattoo is. I think people should get whatever tattoos they want to get, but they shouldn't have the same expectations for the longevity of their tattoos.

The colors fade, as they inevitably will, and you're left with nothing much.

I saw a girl the other day who had portrait tattoos of Wayne and Garth on her arm. You could make out Wayne from a distance because of all the black, but Garth was so faded that all you could see from more than ten feet away were his glasses.

I've been tattooed mostly out of his shop right across the river in Covington. I've never been tattooed by Dana but it's on the plans for this fall.

You should definitely get tattooed by Dana if you do get the opportunity.....I think he's been at it 42 years now if my memory serves me right!

His son Jason does some really nice work as well.....as does his wife Dot

PLUS.......there is some real history all over the walls of the Cincinnati shop!

(I have never been over the river to the Covington shop)

:)