Latest tattoo lowdown.....

Lochlan

That crazy rose and gorilla is on LST poster @mtlsam who's niceness and ability to scrounge up a massage table (seriously appreciated dude!) is only matched by his bravery.

You need to mention that his ability to scrounge up a massage table was crucial because you BROKE the table you were on. When they say they want you to sit like a rock, they don't mean that literally, sweetheart.

I got this today from Chad Koeplinger at the Montreal convention. Ed Hardy-inspired hybrid rose right over the shin. I am super stoked on it and all of you should get tattooed by Chad not only because his tattoos are fucking amazing' date=' but because he is a rad dude and getting tattooed by him is super fun.[/quote']

That's a kick ass piece man!

Man, that shop looks insane! Please tell us more (and throw up a pic!).

Well in the Tattoo Age episodes on Dan Santoro, a shop in Hong Kong called "Swallow Tattoo" is mentioned as an inspiration for the SSTP interior and having every surface of the shop covered in flash. I was curious about it and did some googling and found that Swallow, Pinky Yun, and Ricky all apprenticed under a tattooist named James Ho and that Ricky Tattoo is still in operation. It's located in the Wanchai bar/strip club district.

So I decided to find the shop. Ricky is not tattooing there, but a younger and also apparently completely tattoo-less tattooer was working, and the interior and the flash on the walls probably have not been updated since the 1980s (there were some Bob Roberts sheets) and most of the flash on the wall was made much earlier. There was also an older manager(?) guy. The extent of service was being asked "what u want?" Absolutely no effort was made to be friendly and there were serious sanitary issues but I decided to go for it. The tattoo is not really anything to write home about, but the experience was incredible. I don't think the guy who tattoed me had any interest in tattoos. It seemed like it was just work he had to do?

most of you have seen this already, but stolen from mike rubendall's instagram:

7a03fe0617cc11e3a0c022000a1f918d_7.jpg

awesome dude, awesome tattoo, super stoked, i think 8-9 hours of tattooing in one week (finishing my back and then this) is enough!

this is so insanely fantastic!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

2585lhh.jpg

I got this today from Chad Koeplinger at the Montreal convention. Ed Hardy-inspired hybrid rose right over the shin. I am super stoked on it and all of you should get tattooed by Chad not only because his tattoos are fucking amazing, but because he is a rad dude and getting tattooed by him is super fun.

LOVE THIS GRAEME!!! So happy for you!!! Chad is awesome!

fds_zps78b8722b.jpg

Where: FTW Tattoo

Who: Jay Watkins

Wanted a tattoo to show my love for the city that I love. Oakland is an amazingly misunderstood place. FTW was an amazing shop. Jason, Sean, Alex Matus, Jay Watkins...All were so cool and fun to be around. Can't speak highly enough. Came here after Temple had no way to get my friend in for an appointment in the next two weekends. Glad I did! Thanks to cltattooing for referencing them on here!

I got this today from Chad Koeplinger at the Montreal convention. Ed Hardy-inspired hybrid rose right over the shin. I am super stoked on it and all of you should get tattooed by Chad not only because his tattoos are fucking amazing' date=' but because he is a rad dude and getting tattooed by him is super fun.[/quote']

I will. In less than a month! Looking so much forward to it.

@taaaro, that's bizarre. Thanks for the story. You have got to be the only guy walking around with an Eddy Deutsche backpiece and a burner from Swallow Tattoo.

@hogg Ha! Could be. I just want a wide variety of tattoos and tattoo experiences :cool:

Here is a pic of it going down. There were disposable needles and gloves involved and I didn't get the Stoney rat there.

I've just returned from a brilliant weekend at the Montreal Tattoo Convention where I had the pleasure of seeing many amazing things. I watched as the Leu Family double-teamed a guy on Saturday. I am still a bit shaken from imagining doing that myself. I met a ton of cool people, including at least 3 folks from LST. I had the chance to talk to Ron Henry Wells, which was a particular pleasure. Not only a brilliant artist, but a hell of a nice guy. Sadly, I didn't have an appointment with him though. Next time! I also had a good sitting with Chad Koeplinger, and he put two new tattoos on my leg. I'll post one now, and the other once its healed and I can get a better pic. As usual he was a lot of fun to talk to and I ended up with a couple of pieces that I am thrilled with.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm really enjoying seeing the results of the Montreal convention. So happy for all of you.

I got a really incredible tattoo from El Monga on Friday. The magic is strong with this one. I didn't get any pictures of it when it was fresh, so I'm waiting to see if he posts one to his IG so I can pilfer it. Otherwise I'll wait 'til it's healed to get a picture. I know, I know, I hate to keep you all in suspense.

Yeah, Montreal has produced a ton of great stuff. Instagram and LST have been on fire. So awesome.

@real meta, where did you get your El Monga tattoo? I know he'll be in Philly eventually, but didn't know if he was right now. Still mad my friend didn't book with him when he'll be at Rumi, cause I was hoping to check him out a little bit.

@suburbanxcore I got it under/next to my other one from him. It wraps around the back of my ankle, and then comes up the outer side of my calf a bit. I love having the two right next to each other, but now all I can focus on is the expanse of blank space that is the rest of my lower leg.

He was just in Philly for that one day, but I gather that he plans on coming back at some point—I believe I heard him say he was thinking in a year or so. Regardless of the exact timing, I think you and/or your buddy will get another shot to get tattooed by him. Which I of course recommend.