Latest tattoo lowdown.....

Lochlan

I got a cobra wrapped around an ankh on Dec 29,2013 by Christine Vallieres at Old Town Ink in Scottsdale, AZ

After my first tattoo, I thought about this one and what I wanted it to be. For me, it symbolizes rebirth of life and protection. I think snakes get a lot of bad rep but I think they are awesome creatures. I consider myself pretty spiritual so the Ancient Egyptian symbol of life fits with the snake imagery. Some people think it's an evil snake but it's not :p

This tattoo, along with the one on my back of a scorpion and some Arabic script do mean quite a lot to me. I got them a year after I had a near death experience. I was hospitalized for a long time and lsot my job and almost had to return to living with my parents back in Connecticut. I beleive that I was given a second chance and was being watched over somehow. It made me think how precious my life is, how strong I actually was and how much people cared for me.

that looks great.

Everytime someone posts a Tattoo which is not solid black outlined someone asks this question ! Its not just Plainskins that say the darndest things !!!

Ha it's a valid question though. We all know tattoos fade over time, so you would think that something light and highly detailed wouldn't hold up. Truth is, this highly detailed style either hasn't been around long enough, or hasn't been prominent enough that there aren't a lot of great examples out of ones that are aged, I'm basing this solely off of what I have seen thus far. I have to say though, I am glad that @peterpoose started a thread where he is updating the aging of his arm. It sounds silly, but I don't think anything has been documented like that before so it will be a good thing to take note of.

Also I think that comment started off as a backhanded compliment from people who just don't like the style, and then people who don't know any better keep perpetuating it.

"That looks great, but how will it age?" can also be read as "That is going to fade and look shitty in a year, so that means my solid line tattoos are better."

Not to derail the thread.... I guess we can discuss it more here.

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/2672-healed-new-pics.html

Ha it's a valid question though. We all know tattoos fade over time, so you would think that something light and highly detailed wouldn't hold up. Truth is, this highly detailed style either hasn't been around long enough, or hasn't been prominent enough that there aren't a lot of great examples out of ones that are aged, I'm basing this solely off of what I have seen thus far. I have to say though, I am glad that @peterpoose started a thread where he is updating the aging of his arm. It sounds silly, but I don't think anything has been documented like that before so it will be a good thing to take note of.

Also I think that comment started off as a backhanded compliment from people who just don't like the style, and then people who don't know any better keep perpetuating it.

"That looks great, but how will it age?" can also be read as "That is going to fade and look shitty in a year, so that means my solid line tattoos are better."

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/2672-healed-new-pics.html

My experience here is limited to what I've seen pictures of on the internet, and I'm not sure we're talking about exactly the same thing either, but I've seen pictures of 20+ year old black and grey Brian Everett portraits that still look fantastic. You'd never be able to tell that the tattoos are the age they are. So realistic black and grey done well has the potential to hold up and look great over a long period of time. In any case, I think the attitude @peterpoose has towards his tattoos, which is that they'll last as long as they last, and in the meantime he's getting tattoos that he's excited about and enjoys getting is something we should all feel about our tattoos.

I got my first spur-of-the-moment tattoo last night, and it was really fun! I was biking through the neighborhood, and started thinking it would be cool to get a going-away present for myself in the form of a tattoo (I've been in DC for a decade but am moving next week).

Anyway, so I went into Tattoo Paradise, and Dave Cavalcante put a neat little black & gray compass on the top of my left thigh. I don't have a great photo of it yet, but I like it! I told him it was my first tattoo that I hadn't pondered over for months -- or even years, ha. Definitely a new experience for me, but it was fun!

Incidentally, I think I'm done getting tattoos anywhere close to my crotch. jesus it hurts.

I have posted this in other spots here but I guess this is actually the correct spot.

here is my newest tattoo.

IMG_20140108_194013_zps2a418d67.jpg

IMG_20140108_194009_zpsc1af8b47.jpg

My tattoo before that was from the same artist, Rev J.R. out of Vicious Ink in Rochester Hills MI.

IMG_20131220_181836_zps63d205b9.jpg

IMG_20131220_181823_zps9728947a.jpg

I also got a tattoo at Vicious Ink from one of their apprentices Tim.

IMG_20131202_181159_zps29cab322.jpg

All of my other work is older and not worth posting :)

Thanks guys, you pretty much summed it up.

For me personally as I started getting tattoos at an older age in 20 years time I don't think I will give a shit what they look like, that's even if I am still alive. Had I been younger then maybe I would have thought about it more. It isn't just the tattoos but the experience, the traveling the meeting new people, seeing new sites that is all very much part of it for me and that will always stay with me whether the tattoos do or don't :)

I was at Randy Englehards shop last week for a VIP party and there was every top notch artist you could think of there, so I did look at aged stuff and it still all looks fabulous, so I guess there is hope :)

I've been on a long road trip across America, and on the way, I've gotten my first couple tattoos. The compass rose is from Cassady Bell at Sideshow Odditorium in Portland, OR, the banjo is Ryan McDonald in Nashville TN.

My friends definitely give me some shit for having a banjo on my arm, but I love it. Banjos are rad. :cool:

Was at the shop yesterday to get a Leopard head. Here's what Dano, the artist, came up with. Needless to say I was stoked, even tough it wasn't what I originally had in mind. However its over 9000 times better than what I had in mind and I was very open to suggestions. Which I think he appreciated, you could tell he had a lot of fun doing it and during the smoking breaks, he was constantly checking it out thinking about it. He said while tattooing he's in another dimension. Soo... bold will hold, here's the finished tattoo right after getting stabbed:

1475968_640027666033204_761734515_n.jpg

Got my windpipe/lower throat tattooed with the super kick ass black orange and green snake. Connected the pieces on both sides of my neck/collar and did background filler on my traps to tie my sleeves, neck and chest bird all together. Holy shit it was awesome...that feeling of trust when your buddy tattooer is choking you out to get the skin stretched. Serious iron throat training to compliment my kung fu. It actually was quite pleasant sensation and probably one of the most exciting spots i got tattooed. Definately not for the faint at heart or the inexperienced. Peak-a-boo placement is perfect and really feel that after 10 years of tattoo commitment I have earned the privilege to have this recent experience. I'll post some pics next week or two once my collar bruising goes down and the piece settles in. Feels awesome to start seeing my body suit come together...just gotta get that back done!

Was at the shop yesterday to get a Leopard head. Here's what Dano, the artist, came up with. Needless to say I was stoked, even tough it wasn't what I originally had in mind. However its over 9000 times better than what I had in mind and I was very open to suggestions. Which I think he appreciated, you could tell he had a lot of fun doing it and during the smoking breaks, he was constantly checking it out thinking about it. He said while tattooing he's in another dimension. Soo... bold will hold, here's the finished tattoo right after getting stabbed:

oh aye man ! thats badass !!!!

Even though traditional isnt my first choice, this is fantastic!