Latest tattoo lowdown.....

Lochlan

I got this Cowgirl head from Rich Hardy while he was doing a guest spot at Third Eye Tattoo about a month ago.

thats awesome! are all your tats B&G/you planning on color? pretty rad overall aesthetic. simple, clean, readable.

i'm starting a tomomori sleeve in febuary next year and just wanted to ask if my tattooer signs the tattoo will it still be respectfull to japanese tattoo? as i really want him to sign it but at the same time i don't want it to be disrespectful to the cultur., as i read that only people with a hori title can sign it, but then again i've seen others do it too who don't have hori titles so wanted to here from you guys? my first post here so sorry if it was posted in the wrong thread, cheers!

i'm starting a tomomori sleeve in febuary next year and just wanted to ask if my tattooer signs the tattoo will it still be respectfull to japanese tattoo? as i really want him to sign it but at the same time i don't want it to be disrespectful to the cultur., as i read that only people with a hori title can sign it, but then again i've seen others do it too who don't have hori titles so wanted to here from you guys? my first post here so sorry if it was posted in the wrong thread, cheers!

I don't know what is kosher in this instance, but you could always have him sign it differently from the traditional bonji tag?

Cheers @RoryQ !! The outline was done last trip, think Kyoi (new apprentice) was just showing where we left off? Google translate is not my friend. If only we had a Japanese speaker on the forum who could translate for us... oh wait, @taaarro I'm looking at you ;) lol. By the looks of it that spot is not far from me at all, and I do love my jazz... and hard liquor is probably going to be neccessary lol. I have a few spots but always great to find others, cheers for the heads up! we'll have to swap spots when we both get a chance my good man.

May I inquire who the tattooer is?

Johan Svahn from immovable tattoo in sweden.

Although I am no authority on the subject, I would say that If you want a Bonji tag, then ask for it. Your tattooer seems knowledgable enough to be able to advise you whether that is appropriate or not. If you really want to know, check out some of the books about Horiyoshi 3. I remember seing a section on Bonji tags and other signature marks on tattoos in one of the books I have. I am not at home now, so I couldnt tell you which.

my tattooer was'nt to keen on it but he didn't exactly say no, more like we would look in to it. i have the book bushido legacies of the japanese tattoo but it didn't contain any information on the specifics of who could put in the bonji tag, if you could send a link to the book when you get home it would be greatly appreciated. eitherway thanks alot for the info!

Bonji isn't a 'tag' Bonji is derived from sanskrit and is used solely for religious words.

A tattoo name or senjafuda is made with Hiragana and Kanji.

Many people have made up their own 'tattoo name'

Many western tattooers have signed their work too. From Ron Ackers, Ed Hardy, Jack Rudy, Thom DeVita.... etc.

So during my trip to SF back in October. Our first area we ended up in was Mission, and I was so inspired by the murals painted there. I took a lot of pictures and decided I wanted one of the beautiful traditional roses tattooed on my arm.

We went to Oakland at Temple Tattoo, I wanted to visit this shop anyway because well....its fuckin historical.

So there was only one artist there that day, Jonah.

I asked if he had time for a small walk-in tattoo, and showed him the pics of the murals. Ended up being him that painted those murals! :)

We definitely made each others day!

So he drew up a rose while we were talking to him, fuckin awesome experience overall.

Having someone with 15 years experience tattooing me was epic and especially in that shop.

One of the best trips ever. I have to go back to California. <3

Just finished my first session with Tomo from Yellow Blaze.

Super sweet dude with a magic touch. Plus the place itself is incredible - located just up the road from Yokohama's Victorian-era studios where all the Euro(-trash) royalty got inked in the 1800s.

Got a few weeks for the ink to settle and then back for the colour...