Non-Tattooer owning flash

I was wondering what are the thoughts of non-tattooers owning flash/tattoo art. I have been itching to buy some flash/tattoo art to add to my art collection. This does bring up the question....are there any opinions of non-tattooers owning flash/tattoo art? Coming from a family of artists I know sometimes art will not be sold to "the unworthy" or something along the lines of such. I was even thinking along the lines of having some kind of "custom" flash sets made. No real guidelines just a basic idea for what would be in the flash set (i.e. panther, skull/dagger, etc)

Any ideas?

That is a hard one. I have been given a set of flash (prints) but never tried to buy any. Although I did buy a rollo line drawing book at taylor street a few years ago. I figure if its for sale its for sale, but like anything in this world - am sure there are some who feel differently. Buying flash from a person who is tattooing you or asking them if they know anyone with a set for sale might be a good start. My thought is at least they know you are not an aspiring scratcher.

That is a hard one. I have been given a set of flash (prints) but never tried to buy any. Although I did buy a rollo line drawing book at taylor street a few years ago. I figure if its for sale its for sale, but like anything in this world - am sure there are some who feel differently. Buying flash from a person who is tattooing you or asking them if they know anyone with a set for sale might be a good start. My thought is at least they know you are not an aspiring scratcher.

Yea I tried my hand at art as a kid.....lets just say straight lines come out like I was drawing during an earthquake. I've found that as I get older I not only find out what I'm good at also what I cannot do. Art/Music is something I truly enjoy but always from afar. I am not a creator. If only I could show that.

I've never had a problem with anyone selling me artwork, books, line drawing books, flash sets, or anything else of the like. I'm not a tattooer but I am marrying one so I tend to get away with some shit that others might now. I think in this case though almost any artist is happy to sell their work to anyone, tattooer or non.

I'll sell ya some,hehe. art is art. I personally find it odd when non tattooers get involved in producing flash. but that's me. I guess we all need to make a buck. If I wanted flash as art to hang in my home, I would want originals and/or antiques. Elite sells alot of beautiful prints by a lot of very talented people. We want your bucks and your appreciation, I dont know to many that would disagree.

I got some flash from some guys who knew I'm a collector. They did not seem to mind at all. It was prints anyways. I try to get original art whenever I can, but for this particular artist, I'm not sure if I'll ever be lucky enough to own an original. On the flip side I could see tattooers being a little tentative to sell original/rare sheets to non-tattooers.

I think it depends who's selling it. Some asshole who knows other than 'this guy is popular I bet I can get loot' well I feel bad buying anything from him. Other artists or collectors who realize why it's valuable and who contribute to the tattoo or art word well I'd fell less bad about that person getting my cash.

I think it depends who's selling it. Some asshole who knows other than 'this guy is popular I bet I can get loot' well I feel bad buying anything from him. Other artists or collectors who realize why it's valuable and who contribute to the tattoo or art word well I'd fell less bad about that person getting my cash.

While yea it can suck that people capitalize on art at the same time I would feel a bit better buying from a 'this guy is popular I bet I can get loot' than the artist/collector with any art simply because I took that art out of the non-respecting person's hands.

If you are a tattooer, you know the value of what you're buying.

But if you are not a tattooer, you just paid a whole chunk of money for a pretty picture, I hope you enjoy it.

I never felt comfortable with 'collectors' though, since they ruined comics in the early 90s. Comic publishers started catering to collectors instead of readers, then everything went tits-up and comics became unreadable.

I'd say the same thing happened with tattoo flash too, once it became used for anything other than tattoo source material.

Saying that, I'm looking forward to the Spider Murphy's book.

But if you are not a tattooer, you just paid a whole chunk of money for a pretty picture, I hope you enjoy it.

I tried to buy the Mother's Day flash you auctioned off, but the chunks of money got to be too large for me to part with. Hope whoever got it is enjoying it.

If you are a tattooer, you know the value of what you're buying.

But wasn't there one time an assumption that you bought flash because you could make money off of the designs on the sheets. I have heard sales pitches like 'The first time you do this panther the sheet pays for itself." Now some people don't want the panther off the sheet and some flash sheets don't even include line drawings and others would consider it passe to tattoo others flash. These type of factors make me believe some people producing flash would want it to be a collectable rather than a practical tool or money maker. I know there are shops out there where this is not the case but I am completely off the mark here?

Most tattooers that paint flash also do 'proper' paintings as well that aren't meant to be used as flash... It's a lot more enjoyable for me to own a really amazing original painting than a print of some flash that I will never use for it's intended purpose. If I was going to spend a few thousand on some art I'd rather buy a painting from someone like Robert Ryan than spend it on a single sheet of Jerry flash. I get why it's worth that much but it's not something I need to own. For me looking at books of his flash is good enough and maybe one day I'll be in a shop or somewhere that has an original that I can look at and appreciate.

But wasn't there one time an assumption that you bought flash because you could make money off of the designs on the sheets.

I can only speak from my perspective. I don't wish to comment too much on the reasoning other tattooers design, paint and sell their flash.

Any flash I've bought, vintage or current, has been an investment. That's what I meant by the value of it. The same goes for tattoo machines. I buy these things with the intention of using them. I have more than I can use, but that's not the point. I do like the way they look but they are primarily useful rather than decorative.

Any flash I've produced has been intended to be tattooed by other people. I didn't make them as a promotional tool.

95% of the traditional tattoos I do are based on flash. Often they don't look like flash, unless you have the same sheets as me but they do look like tattoos. I use flash to solve design and layout problems quicker.

I don't have a problem at all with non-tattooers collecting flash and tattoo memorabilia. Lots of people collect things they never use, that's kind of the point of a collection I suppose.