Trash Polka?

Iwar

The term is actually a play on words: Tritsch-Tratsch-Polka. Look it up.

I actually like some of it... good solid art work that you usually see in galleries, but on skin. If its executed into solid tattoo work, I can see it catching on.

Rob

I guess we go to different galleries because this stuff looks like the presumably student-created ads I see on public transportation for the local graphic design school.

New to tattoos and looking for my first. I'm drawn to this style and the work by Xoil and Expanded Eye. Maybe because it is different but its really grabs my attention. What I want to know is, why would this not work if for someone that does like it, if done well should it not hold up just as well as a traditional style?

@gronk, you're entitled to get any type of tattoo that you want. that is everyone's prerogative. but many of have found, some through personal mistake, or seeing others, and just living for several decades, that tattoos have trends just like anything else. a good majority of us here realize that, and we stick to traditional american, japanese, and black and grey tattoos because we know they will still be relevant 10-20-30-50-100 years from now. that's right, my rotting corpse will still have relevant tats!

I think this is very good tattoos, and very unique style.

Like many, or all, other tattoos, I'm sure some people will love it and wear it and some people hate it, for each his own.

as for the quality of the work, I've known those guys for a while now and seen many of those tattoos being done and healed, and it is a very top notch quality tattoo art.

• 6 months later...

Although I may not like some of the designs, I really like this style of tattooing...very original.

The artist doing this without a doubt has amazing technique. It would be cool to see if this artist could mesh this style with something more traditional. I could totally go for that.

With regards to relevance, why should that even matter. Theyre tattoos! Most un tatooed society still considers tattoes a bit taboo so I wouldnt worry about relevance. A good tattoo is a good tattoo and a bad one is a bad one.

these tattoos IMO are much better than 99% of the crap I see inked on people today.

• 4 weeks later...

I really like them, love the designs, the creativity and imagination that must go into putting one of these tattoos together. Would I wear one? Nope, too much negative space, too big a canvas needed in order to look as good as it should. I, for one, am very happy that everyone has different tastes and people explore these kinds of tattoos! Forgive me if this sounds ignorant (I am no expert) but it seems that this is one tattoo style that has been developed very recently, and I applaud that when originality is becoming harder and harder to come by.

/£0.02

Originality is great. But again, not everything works on every medium. I guess one this is, is I wanna see one of these in 40 years. I kidna get the impression they'll be a worse mess.

Dan Higgs. Fucking original + traditional all wrapped up in one. This? A fad that'll look even stupider when they're old.

Not bashing anyone who LIKES this,and I appreciate the hard work going into them and the thought of pushing boundaries.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...