Coloured tattoo advice

Thomas94

Hi All, was wondering if I could have a bit of advice on the following please...

I recently had a tattoo done 3 weeks ago (photo attached in black) and I am thinking of getting another tattoo at some point, except this time in colour around 1.5/2 inches below the initial one. My questions are;

1. Why do I see things regarding the chemicals in colours not being safe, is there any truth to that? (I live in the UK if that makes any difference)

2. I don't plan on rushing into it, but how long ideally should I wait with the 2nd tattoo being very close to 1st?

3. Is the healing time longer for coloured tattoos? I've heard it takes 4-6 weeks for initial healing rather than the (generally speaking) 2-3 weeks for black.

Thank you very much to any responses in advance!

20220830_173728.thumb.jpg.54f545ed6bbec0b3c3282d2fea664f15.jpg

I am also a beginner in tattoos and have read a lot about tattoos recently. Regarding the first question, as long as there are no scars or lesions on the skin, this tattoo is fine. As for the recovery time of the tattoo, it depends on the technique of the tattoo artist. It usually takes a month to complete. Once the previous tattoo is restored, the next one can be started.
This is the information I found recently, please correct me if I am wrong.

15 hours ago, Thomas94 said:

Hi All, was wondering if I could have a bit of advice on the following please...

I recently had a tattoo done 3 weeks ago (photo attached in black) and I am thinking of getting another tattoo at some point, except this time in colour around 1.5/2 inches below the initial one. My questions are;

1. Why do I see things regarding the chemicals in colours not being safe, is there any truth to that? (I live in the UK if that makes any difference)

2. I don't plan on rushing into it, but how long ideally should I wait with the 2nd tattoo being very close to 1st?

3. Is the healing time longer for coloured tattoos? I've heard it takes 4-6 weeks for initial healing rather than the (generally speaking) 2-3 weeks for black.

Thank you very much to any responses in advance!

20220830_173728.thumb.jpg.54f545ed6bbec0b3c3282d2fea664f15.jpg

As far as chemicals I’m not too sure. There are claims but I don’t know wether this has been proven, I wouldn’t worry too much as people have been getting colour tattoos for years. 
As for the length of time once the first tattoo has healed you will be fine to tattoo around it. As you are not going over the same part of skin you should be fine to do it whenever you want. 
I believe colour is more traumatising to the skin but in general all tattoos need the same amount of healing time, 4-6 weeks as you said. Good luck with your next piece!

6 hours ago, Thomas94 said:

My question was regarding certain elements of colours for coloured tattoos being banned as per the EU regulation at the beginning of this year - not just all tattoos in general. 

Yes, I read about it. There isn’t a single scientific study that supports that. It’s the same ink that’s used in America. I’ll say again, if there was anything toxic about that ink, with 66 MILLION tattooed people in America, we’d know.

Edited by Hogrider