Peeling or Scabbing?

Goku100

Hi all, I've got a fresh tattoo (5 days old) now.

I can start to see areas of the tattoo flaking and peeling which seems normal, however I have areas of the tattoo which doesn't exactly look like peeling...it seems like it has peeled too early and I can see bright ink. Is this what is referred to as "scabbing"? or is this something else? It isn't full of puss or wet, its pretty dry which makes me think its not infected. It seems like the top layer of skin in these areas has just come of. 

I'm a total tattoo noob and haven't found much answers online (mainly because I don't know what this is called to google) so apologies for this.

See pictures with red circles. Picture without red circle is what I think is normal peeling.

Thanks all!

peel 1.jpg

peel 4.jpg

peel 5.jpg

Edited by Goku100
more info added

It looks like you have been picking your scabs, drenching them in something like Aquaphor, or the artist went WAY TOO DEEP. Essentially, you need to keep it clean, stop drowning it in stuff, and never pick the scabs. It will have to be touched up because whatever you are doing/whatever your artist did has made the scabs pull out a lot of the color.

Just keep it clean and DO NOT PICK at it.

• 2 months later...
On 9/21/2022 at 8:23 PM, Goku100 said:

Hi all, I've got a fresh tattoo (5 days old) now.

I can start to see areas of the tattoo flaking and peeling which seems normal, however I have areas of the tattoo which doesn't exactly look like peeling...it seems like it has peeled too early and I can see bright ink. Is this what is referred to as "scabbing"? or is this something else? It isn't full of puss or wet, its pretty dry which makes me think its not infected. It seems like the top layer of skin in these areas has just come of. 

I'm a total tattoo noob and haven't found much answers online (mainly because I don't know what this is called to google) so apologies for this.

See pictures and url https://tattooprofy.com/can-you-peel-your-tattoo/ for more details. Picture without red circle is what I think is normal peeling.

Thanks all!

peel 1.jpg

peel 4.jpg

peel 5.jpg

Peeling usually occurs a few days after getting the tattoo, as the skin begins to heal and regenerate itself . The regeneration process involves the skin removing dead and damaged cells. As the skin exfoliates itself, a layer of dead skin cells and ink pigment peels off, allowing new cells to grow.

What to do now?

• Allow your skin to peel off naturally. Trust the process, they will come off in due time.
  • Moisturize your skin. Moisturizing your skin will speed up the healing process, helping your epidermis regenerate. 
  • Clean your tattoo gently.

I hope it will help. 

I'm new on this forum but have much knowledge of tattoos 🙂

Edited by Ashton Drew