Needed posts before starting threads

This is only a suggestion, and I'm conscious that the people behind LST have a vision for it that includes it being open and welcoming, but FWIW:-

If mods observe a pattern of one-line posting along the lines of what we're talking about, what about a policy of issuing a warning (once) via PM and then applying a ban if the behaviour persists?

This is only a suggestion, and I'm conscious that the people behind LST have a vision for it that includes it being open and welcoming, but FWIW:-

If mods observe a pattern of one-line posting along the lines of what we're talking about, what about a policy of issuing a warning (once) via PM and then applying a ban if the behaviour persists?

Very interesting!

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, looking at some recent threads... Maybe issuing a warning could be skipped in some flagrant cases.

I'm thinking they vacuum up in here with a Hoover Trollcatcher every morning...

We have updated the new user notifications and welcome PM/email to make it clear that the first ten posts must be quality/thoughtful posts. We are watching this more carefully now - and if you see someone engaging in this, please report their posts.

Ideally, a new user should start with a thoughtful introduction thread and strive to get their post count up right there in their intro thread.

I'm still looking at switching to a 'likes' count system - I hope to have that working soon.

We have updated the new user notifications and welcome PM/email to make it clear that the first ten posts must be quality/thoughtful posts. We are watching this more carefully now - and if you see someone engaging in this, please report their posts.

Ideally, a new user should start with a thoughtful introduction thread and strive to get their post count up right there in their intro thread.

I'm still looking at switching to a 'likes' count system - I hope to have that working soon.

Thanks for doing this, it's appreciated.

@steve1461686340

Do the LST moderators have the ability to lock and/or delete threads?

Yes sir! All the mods have the ability to lock threads, delete threads/posts, ban users, and we can even block their IP address so they can't even get to the site.

We also have a ban 'nuke' button that bans a user and deletes all of their posts in one click - and reports their email and IP address to stopforumspam.com and akismet.com - to help with auto-moderation on other forums.

If you encounter a spammer, please just report their post using the little black triangle with exclamation mark directly under the post - instead of responding to the content of the post itself - that way, when we do ban the user and their posts are deleted - the thread will still make sense to those who read it in the future..

Thanks again to all of you who help us stay on top of the spammers - we are constantly improving our automation tools, but some of them will always be able to slip through the cracks and require manual intervention.

I have increased the minimum-characters-in-post requirement for new members to 60 characters.

This only applies to the first ten posts, but should help reduce the problem with people dropping a bunch of short meaningless posts everywhere just to get their post count up.

Please let me know if people with over 10 posts are getting an error popup saying your post is too short.

Thanks

Character count? I don't got no problem with no stinking character count!

• 3 years later...