Should I move to Cali?

slayer9019

Contemplating moving to California in the near future. (Looking at San Fransisco bay area currently). Currently living in the NYC/NYC Area....need a change! Thinking about making a week trip soon out there to get tattooed anyways (not sure who yet).

Knowing that a lot of you guys/gals live in the area, any suggestions/tips/warnings?

If I had more money I would move to San Francisco. I don't know the whole story about finances, but I know it's not $15 a beer. I think my friend pays like 900 a month for a tiny studio in the tenderloin but I think it's rent controlled so it would be like 1100 otherwise. Honestly even if i was single I would move there at this point and make it work, but Portland is a pretty close second so that will do for now.

900? Wow that is VERY cheap to compared to NYC, so is 1100. My buddy pays 1200 for a studio in the suburbs (45 minuet train ride). I pay an absurd amount currently and might even save money considering. Just paid a ridiculous amount of money for cigarettes (13.50!) today....adds to another reason to move!

I did the move from NY (Long Island) to San francisco. Moved right into Haight/Ashbury. Best thing I ever did, there is soo much to do there. Great skiing, wine country, the Monterrey area. I spent about 3 years there and I've been wanting to move back since I left. Good luck on contemplating the move.....

900? Wow that is VERY cheap to compared to NYC, so is 1100. My buddy pays 1200 for a studio in the suburbs (45 minuet train ride). I pay an absurd amount currently and might even save money considering. Just paid a ridiculous amount of money for cigarettes (13.50!) today....adds to another reason to move!

It's not bad at all, but like I said it's rent controlled so I am sure if she ever did give up her place there is a waiting list to fill it. I probably wouldn't live in the Tenderloin with a family, but my friend is a single girl in her late twenties early thirties and she seems to like it and I have never had any problems on visits. Haight seems like a fun street too plus Blackheart Tattoo is on that street, although I have never looked into living in that part of town. I think you are smart to come and visit before you make your decision, plus it gives you an excuse to go get tattooed.

California has everything you could want...beach, snow, desert, beautiful mountain ranges, wine country, great shopping, great food, and you could live in flip flops year round. If you're an outdoorsy person, there is so much to do in the bay- hiking, kayaking, paddle boarding, surfing, etc. In SF, nothing is more than an 8 hr drive or 2 hr flight. We get earthquakes but we don't get hurricanes, tornadoes, extreme heat (unless you're in Death Valley), or extreme snow (unless you're in Mountain ranges). Been a lot of places and it's hard to beat the Bay Area climate

Contemplating moving to California in the near future. (Looking at San Fransisco bay area currently). Currently living in the NYC/NYC Area....need a change! Thinking about making a week trip soon out there to get tattooed anyways (not sure who yet).

Knowing that a lot of you guys/gals live in the area, any suggestions/tips/warnings?

Why are you living in my brain>>??

California rules man. Ive been scattered all over this place. Best times have been had in the bay area of course. I dig Marin County a lot, but its pretty expensive and ritzy. East Bay is great for good, cheap food, bars, general activities.

Sacramento is alright as well. Hot as hell, but the downtown/Arden area is quite nice. Plus you are a hop-skip and a jump from places like Tahoe/Auburn and all the adventures of the Sierras.

Ive only visited down south, but hated it. Im obviously bias to Northern California.

You could move to Austin,TX. Then you could save yourself the trouble of moving to California, since most Californians move here anyway = )

Funny you say that I've been told that quite a lot recently. Two of my buddies live in Austin now. While Texas will be a place that I will buy a house in the next couple of years, I'm not too sure if I will live there just yet. I'll be back there again for work soon and maybe get a new opinion but Cali looks awesome so far (weather wise it is EXCELLENT!)

You could move to Austin,TX. Then you could save yourself the trouble of moving to California, since most Californians move here anyway = )

funny because everyone i know from Austin has left it for California, but they all have great things to say about it, and do frequently visit "back home".

I grew up in NY (NYC suburbs), lived in upstate NY, Florida and HI as well, and SoCal is by far the best place I have ever lived. Its cool to hate on LA, but if you haven't lived here, its hard to appreciate it for what it is. Obviously some folks who have lived here hate it too, but definitely give it a long hard look. Incredibly diverse place to live with an area to suit any and every walk of life. No exaggeration. Plus the weather kicks the %! out of NorCal. Way cheaper down here as well, and yes, way cheaper than NYC too. Yeah, I love SF and the Bay Area, really love it, but I'm way more comfortable down here.

Sacramento is alright as well. Hot as hell, but the downtown/Arden area is quite nice. Plus you are a hop-skip and a jump from places like Tahoe/Auburn and all the adventures of the Sierras.

Yey, gotta rep Sacramento. Lived there for 4 years, great place. About the middle of Nor Cal so you are close to everything that make it awesome. Wanna go to the mountains 2 hours, wanna go to the bay 2 hours, wanna go camping 2 hours, just about anything 2 hours away....

Only bad bit about it is job wise, not so many opportunities.

Yeah-the record-breaking drought/ run of 100+ degrees did nothing for our "cool" factor. You can buy the same size house in Austin for a quarter of the price, job market's decent (especially tech experienced), and the scene is SUPER laid back. We have some crime, but nothing like Houston/ Galveston (where I grew up) or Dallas. To be honest, after my SF trip this summer, I'd move there if my kids weren't here and I could find something that could support us- my girl's a sped teacher,so I think it'd be kind of hard for her to find something in the school district. So, if California hasn't slid into ocean in 10 years, I might still be down = D