Article for those new to the addiction

Blue Tattoo

It reads like something that someone who knows nothing about tattoos wrote by googling a lot of different topics. Two examples - inner arm hurts LESS than the outer arm - not that I’ve ever heard or experienced. Yellow and orange fade faster on pale skin - again, not what I’ve heard or experienced. I saw many, many other examples of just plain wrong information.

Interesting. I do think the pain aspect is going to be unique for all individuals and that this article was speaking in very broad terms. For example you said the back of your leg didn't hurt and mine felt like an electric shock.  

The information on colors and placement was interesting. I've seen some old tattoos and couldn't read them and other's that were definitely aged but still looked good. Which could very much be attributed to the artist and the individuals lifestyle. 

I'm still going with my original plan and getting what I want, where I want.  

3 hours ago, Blue Tattoo said:

Interesting. I do think the pain aspect is going to be unique for all individuals and that this article was speaking in very broad terms. For example you said the back of your leg didn't hurt and mine felt like an electric shock.  

Yes, there are individual differences, but there are more similarities. I think I have a high pain tolerance. In general though, thin, delicate skin is going to be more sensitive so the article got it backwards. Anyone with a lot of tattoos experience would know that. I just pointed out two things. If I went through the entire article, I could have found 15-20. They also said that many people are allergic to red ink. People saying this is one of my pet peeves. Having a reaction is not the same thing as having an allergy. Some people have a harder time healing red ink, but actual documented ink allergies are extremely rare. Some newbie's tattoo itches and they think they have an allergy.

I see this more and more often on the internet - people writing articles about something that they have absolutely no first hand knowledge about. What am I going to learn about tattoos from someone who doesn't know anything about tattoos? If you don't know anything, you have no basis for judging your background material.

Edited by Hogrider

I appreciate you took the time to read the article and give feedback.   To be clear I'm not trying to teach anybody anything, I shared an article I enjoyed about a new passion. (for me)

Part of understanding anything is going through it, and sometimes it's the hardway sifting through the bullshit.  But one thing I've learned is listen to those who've been there whether it's about sailing, plumbing or tattoos. And there seems to be a fair amount of experience in this forum.

34 minutes ago, Hogrider said:

Yes, there are individual differences, but there are more similarities. I think I have a high pain tolerance. In general though, thin, delicate skin is going to be more sensitive so the article got it backwards. Anyone with a lot of tattoos experience would know that. I just pointed out two things. If I went through the entire article, I could have found 15-20.

I see this more and more often on the internet - people writing articles about something that they have absolutely no first hand knowledge about. What am I going to learn about tattoos from someone who doesn't know anything about tattoos? If you don't know anything, you have no basis for judging your background material.

18 hours ago, Hogrider said:

It reads like something that someone who knows nothing about tattoos wrote by googling a lot of different topics. Two examples - inner arm hurts LESS than the outer arm - not that I’ve ever heard or experienced. Yellow and orange fade faster on pale skin - again, not what I’ve heard or experienced. I saw many, many other examples of just plain wrong information.

34 minutes ago, Hogrider said:

Yes, there are individual differences, but there are more similarities. I think I have a high pain tolerance. In general though, thin, delicate skin is going to be more sensitive so the article got it backwards. Anyone with a lot of tattoos experience would know that. I just pointed out two things. If I went through the entire article, I could have found 15-20.

The information on colors and placement was interesting. I've seen some old tattoos and couldn't read them and other's that were definitely aged but still looked good. Which could very much be attributed to the artist and the individuals lifestyle. 

I'm still going with my original plan and getting what I want, where I want.  

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/22/2022 at 4:18 PM, Hogrider said:

Yes, there are individual differences, but there are more similarities. I think I have a high pain tolerance. In general though, thin, delicate skin is going to be more sensitive so the article got it backwards. Anyone with a lot of tattoos experience would know that. I just pointed out two things. If I went through the entire article, I could have found 15-20. They also said that many people are allergic to red ink. People saying this is one of my pet peeves. Having a reaction is not the same thing as having an allergy. Some people have a harder time healing red ink, but actual documented ink allergies are extremely rare. Some newbie's tattoo itches and they think they have an allergy.

I see this more and more often on the internet - people writing articles about something that they have absolutely no first hand knowledge about. What am I going to learn about tattoos from someone who doesn't know anything about tattoos? If you don't know anything, you have no basis for judging your background material. By the way, if you want to make your homework at time, feel free to use this service.

wise words hogrider. i want to ask you about white ink. does it hurt more than black? i'm curious about average experience. thank you

6 hours ago, ashro20 said:

wise words hogrider. i want to ask you about white ink. does it hurt more than black? i'm curious about average experience. thank you

White ink didn’t hurt me more than any other, but my skin is really pale and it looked like I hadn’t been tattooed at all. It was the kimono of my Japanese warrior and my artist wound up redoing it in pale green. No more white ink for me.