Phoenix Tattoo

Johnny

So what is the general consensus on phoenix tattoos? I didnt see it mentioned so much in the thread about what tattoos you dont like to do but what are your thoughts?

I am looking to get my first and have thought about a lot of ideas. I originally was trying to come up with a design that honored my parents since I lost them both so early and celebrated my wife and daughter. That wasnt working out so good.

I decided that the phoenix can represent a lot of different things and as long it is a bad ass bird, it can look pretty cool. I need to talk to some of the local artists to see what I can do but looking mainly at my shoulder/upper arm or maybe upper back. Just wanted to get your thoughts.

I love phoenix tattoos but the downside is they are pretty common, many artists will tell you they do them all the time. If you don't mind that, then go ahead and get one. They have a lot of meaning behind them.

At one stage I was considering getting a phoenix tattoo myself, but decided to get a Kirin instead as they are far less common. You could also look at Foo Dogs.

I think the reason there are so many Phoenix tattoos, is the same reason there are so many eagle, panther and pin up girl tattoos, because they make a good tattoo. I have never been one for getting tattoos with meaning, but in this case it's a good tattoo idea and it holds meaning to you so it seems like a win win situation. Just make sure you get it as big as you can, make it powerful and bold. That guys portfolio that was posted earlier in the thread looks like he would do a good job, some nice work.

With all do respect: GET WHAT YOU WANT.... Efh the consensus.

Richard, " Jilly Bonny aka Horiyuki is the best in the States for a Phoenix.

The Phoenix is a beautiful metaphor, design, it's traditional, they can be simple to elaborate, and depending on who you pick to actually do the tattoo the options are limitless, with how, and where, and what kinda look ya wanna pull off... Do your research, it always helps in the long run....

Jacksonville, FL has a few guys that you could consult with, and I'm sure you'd be stoked... Mike Wilson, Jason Harms...

Attached is tattoo by Jill Bonny....

Thanks Jennifer. I really was asking just to see what the thoughts were on it. I've decided it is what I want because I think they can look really cool and you can draw whatever meaning you want from it.

More curious than anything but it is interesting to know what more experienced people think. The opinions wont talk me out of it. I appreciate all of the input.

I want more Japanese work and was thinking about getting a Phoenix till my wife mentioned she wanted one, now i'm more veering towards getting a badaass Tiger looking pissed off . Loove Phoenix tattoos sometimes the heads are a bit "chickeny" though . I got some cool photos on my old phone of a big chinese vase covered in phoenixes i saw in the museum that i was going to use for reference , if i can find the phone i'll upload the photos for you .

Loove Phoenix tattoos sometimes the heads are a bit "chickeny" though . I got some cool photos on my old phone of a big chinese vase covered in phoenixes i saw in the museum that i was going to use for reference , if i can find the phone i'll upload the photos for you .

Yeah, I've noticed the difference in design and I definitely dont want a chicken head. I am drawn more to the Phoenix with a bit of attitude. I've seen some great ones done in the top center of the back with the wings stretching out toward the shoulders but I am thinking I want it on my shoulder so I can see it. Not sure yet though. Might get the Phoenix on my back and get the next one on my shoulder. I guess it will depend on what I can afford.

And yeah, if you have pictures, I am always looking for ideas. Thanks.

You could buy some books of asian style drawings form BookMistress And Horitaka's State of Grace - Merchandise I'm sure Shige has some nice tattoos of phoenix in his book.I would go visit some shops in your area and look at portfolios and set up some consultations with a couple tattooers who's work you like.Do you wan't it to be realistic,or more of an asian style phoenix? Matt did a nice asian style phoenix on the rib of this guy.

Kings Avenue Shane@ Big Kahuna Tattoo & Piercing does nice japanese work.What part of Florida do live?

Thanks @Joe Shit. I like a few different examples right now. Some are leaning more toward asian and some are not. I figure I will get that more worked out once I am able to meet with some artists. And I am in southeast Florida. Palm Beach County specifically.

Beautiful work in the link. Thanks. Most of that is much larger and far more detail and color than I will be looking at but beautiful.

Thanks @kylegrey. I like that example a lot. One of the things I want to work through with an artist is whether it would look good on me though. I found another example similar to that and it is a little farther back. Not so much on the chest that might work really well though. I'll check out Jill's blog too. Thanks.

Yes... I wanted a phoenix but I don't like chicken face (its cool, but not for me), so I asked Thomas to do mine and I am VERY happy. I love the all seeing eye even if they pop up in tattoos all the damn time....its a pretty universal image.

http://thomashooper.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/eisen-flower-thomas-hooper-tattooing-014-july-21-2011.jpg?w=740&h=1110