Phoenix Tattoo

Johnny

That Shige phoenix is amazing. I agree in terms of a eastern/Japanese style phoenix that's how it should look.

But, i may not have explained mine exactly.... Mine comes more from Crowley/Alchemy and a more European based phoenix aesthetic.

Burning up the Flame of his Prayer, and born

again—the Phoenix!

I love the image of the Phoenix! A classic and timeless!!!

I have to agree with everyone else in regards to Jill Bonny. She creates the BEST phoenix/ho-o tattoos. She's just damn good, period! If you're looking for a phoenix tattoo, I recommed travelling over to SF/SJ. Make an experience of it, and enjoy the ride.

BTW, she did my sleeve about...eh, 3 years ago: photo_3_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As I look through examples of what I might want, a question came to my mind.

What is the general feeling in the tattooing world about poetic license with regard to specific styles of tattoos? In other words, is it frowned upon for someone to take a traditional Japanese design and make it ................... less Japonese?

I am looking at a Phoenix which isnt just a Japonese design but there are some done in a Japonese style. I like the ones I see that have more of an eagle or falcon type head as opposed to the chicken or peakock looking head. I am assuming there is no real big issue with the phoenix but chime in if you feel differently.

I do wonder about more traditional designs that are more specifically Japonese though. What is the general feeling with breaking tradition?

What is the general feeling in the tattooing world about poetic license with regard to specific styles of tattoos? In other words, is it frowned upon for someone to take a traditional Japanese design and make it ................... less Japanese?

I am looking at a Phoenix which isnt just a Japanese design but there are some done in a Japanese style. I like the ones I see that have more of an eagle or falcon type head as opposed to the chicken or peacock looking head. I am assuming there is no real big issue with the phoenix but chime in if you feel differently.

I do wonder about more traditional designs that are more specifically Japonese though. What is the general feeling with breaking tradition?

Fixed.

I obviously didnt have my spelling cap on today. Sheesh.

What is the general feeling in the tattooing world about poetic license with regard to specific styles of tattoos? In other words, is it frowned upon for someone to take a traditional Japanese design and make it ................... less Japonese?

I am looking at a Phoenix which isnt just a Japonese design but there are some done in a Japonese style. I like the ones I see that have more of an eagle or falcon type head as opposed to the chicken or peakock looking head. I am assuming there is no real big issue with the phoenix but chime in if you feel differently.

I think that's a decision you will need to make as it will be on you. How much do you care about remaining traditional and respecting cultures? I'm sure you can work with your chosen artist to create a badass chicken head if you wanted. My memory is fuzzy and could be wrong so someone correct me, but I think a Japanese/Chinese phoenix is a mixture of several specific creatures like a chimera. So if you change what's supposed to be cocks comb/pheasants head to an eagle then that might seem odd to some people. I'm sure most people wouldn't even notice though. That being said I want to add that you should remember there is actually a difference in meaning between an asian style phoenix (ho-o) and the phoenix in the western world. If it's the image you like sans KFC head, cool, but if you are trying to represent a certain mentality, meaning, blah, blah, blah to it, then make sure you get the right type of phoenix tattooed. I've heard/seen plenty of people with a Japanese style ho-o and their LA Ink sob story is actually refering to the Greek or Egyptian Phoenix not the east asian meaning. At that point I sigh, and imagine smacking them in the back of their head for not researching and reading up on mythology.

Also to be honest I do favor traditional japanese work and cringed a lot during the 90's and early 2000's when I saw horible faux Japanese work walking around everywhere.

Okay that might have sounded sarcasic and dismissive, that wan't the intention. Sometimes tradition matters and sometimes it's what looks good. For me tradition matters somewhat, but for someone else they don't have to go 100%. 75% will do.

@Johnny, I wouldn't say that there is a 'general feeling' in tattooing towards anything Japanese style. It's pretty much down to personal preference. Either way isn't better or worse, as long as it's well tattooed.

There are many great tattooers (Japanese & Gaijin) who work in a Japanese influenced style that make things 'less Japanese'.

Also there are tattooers in the west who's work follows tradition as strictly as their understanding will allow.

Personally I prefer to base any Asian influenced tattoos on existing Asian art.

Often Asian mythical animals are composed of specific, recognisable real animal parts.

If you don't care how authentic it is, go hog-wild and add spiders legs or extra eyes if you want. Just remember the Phoenix is a globally recognised mythical creature. The Japanese way isn't the only way.

Agin, it's personal preference. The trick is to find a tattooer who's approach suits your expectations.

I think that's a decision you will need to make as it will be on you. How much do you care about remaining traditional and respecting cultures? I'm sure you can work with your chosen artist to create a badass chicken head if you wanted. My memory is fuzzy and could be wrong so someone correct me, but I think a Japanese/Chinese phoenix is a mixture of several specific creatures like a chimera. So if you change what's supposed to be cocks comb/pheasants head to an eagle then that might seem odd to some people. I'm sure most people wouldn't even notice though. That being said I want to add that you should remember there is actually a difference in meaning between an asian style phoenix (ho-o) and the phoenix in the western world. If it's the image you like sans KFC head, cool, but if you are trying to represent a certain mentality, meaning, blah, blah, blah to it, then make sure you get the right type of phoenix tattooed. I've heard/seen plenty of people with a Japanese style ho-o and their LA Ink sob story is actually refering to the Greek or Egyptian Phoenix not the east asian meaning. At that point I sigh, and imagine smacking them in the back of their head for not researching and reading up on mythology.

Also to be honest I do favor traditional japanese work and cringed a lot during the 90's and early 2000's when I saw horible faux Japanese work walking around everywhere.

Good reply. I was really asking more in general than specifically about the phoenix. I am more looking for this tattoo to represent more of the Greek or Egyption thoughts of the phoenix in that it represents the sun that dies and rises every morning. I started out wanting something to honor my parents who have both passed, and celebrate my wife and daughter, and some other stuff. That approach was going to result in a bad tattoo. I saw the phoenix and thought that I was changed by all of those events. I also believe that we constantly reinvent ourselves as live goes on. So the phoenix, especially the Greek version, fits and can be more eagle-like and not break any traditions or anything. I have collected a few examples that I like so far.

Maybe I should have started a new thread for the question but was really asking in general if tattooers or enthusiasts were put off when tattoos from traditional cultures, like the chinese phoenix or dragon, are changed to a more modern image or move far away from the traditional style.

I probably wouldnt do something that flies in the face of tradition personally. I am new to tattoos but in most everything I have ever taken an interest in, I usually end up being pretty faithful to tradition. That said, my next tattoo will likely be a traditional type of tattoo, like an anchor and rose, but with a modern approach to color and realism.

Sorry, just rambling.

Okay that might have sounded sarcasic and dismissive, that wan't the intention. Sometimes tradition matters and sometimes it's what looks good. For me tradition matters somewhat, but for someone else they don't have to go 100%. 75% will do.

I didnt take it as sarcastic or dismissive. I am a pretty traditional guy typically and would not feel right doing something that was disrespectful or in conflict with tradition. I'll end up asking more than one stupid question around here but I lack knowledge and you guys have it. I figure I wont get it if I dont ask.

Mine was never supposed to be Japanese. Even if you dont like mine.....

Your front is quite honestly one of my favorite tattoos right now, I've admired it for months. It's a great example you don't need to go with what's thought to be a traditional style to execute an amazing tattoo. I look forward to my own appt with Thomas in a couple weeks from now :)

Your front is quite honestly one of my favorite tattoos right now, I've admired it for months. It's a great example you don't need to go with what's thought to be a traditional style to execute an amazing tattoo. I look forward to my own appt with Thomas in a couple weeks from now :)

Wow.....thanks, thats kind. Im my area people dont get it or dont like his style, and thas cool but I love it. In maney ways Thomas is traditional, thats what I love about it. It is and it isnt, its a mixture.....Good luck with your appointment!!!

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. Sorry to bump an older post, but it relates to this.

I was thinking of getting a phoenix(type) tattoo for my first one. This would be going on my left upper arm.

Questions: Is it too "simple"? Will I regret a simple tattoo on such a valuable space on my body? (I don't foresee getting a sleeve, maybe another on the right arm)

I like the meaning behind the phoenix, but didn't like the traditional "bird-looking" one.

Any ideas on how to spice this one up? (plz don't steal the design, although it was one I found online I did get permission to use it)

Do you think this classifies as "tribal"?

(sorry...I couldn't figure out how to thumbnail it) : )

Thanks.

17554049610321464625949.jpg

Hi guys. Sorry to bump an older post, but it relates to this.

I was thinking of getting a phoenix(type) tattoo for my first one. This would be going on my left upper arm.

Questions: Is it too "simple"? Will I regret a simple tattoo on such a valuable space on my body? (I don't foresee getting a sleeve, maybe another on the right arm)

I like the meaning behind the phoenix, but didn't like the traditional "bird-looking" one.

Any ideas on how to spice this one up? (plz don't steal the design, although it was one I found online I did get permission to use it)

Do you think this classifies as "tribal"?

(sorry...I couldn't figure out how to thumbnail it) : )

Thanks.

17554049610321464625949.jpg

I would run from a tribal Phoenix, but its your tattoo. If thats what you want, go for it.