Visual tattoo opinions....

Lochlan

As for visible tattoos (neck-up, wrists-down) I personally cannot do it since it would be a career stopper for myself, unless something changes drastically in the near future. At the same time my sister works in the creative field and is contemplating a forearm down onto the hand tattoo which is fine since in her field it is accepted. I will eventually get my hands and possibly side of my neck done after I retire or near-retirement. I love the look of hand tattoos (especially Thomas Hooper's stuff!) but I don't like the idea of wearing gloves everyday (already committing to long sleeves in a month).

Not only work related but as I just finished my larger Dante's Inferno leg tattoo I already am starting to HATE the staring/questions of a tattoo that is visible, and the idea that I could never cover it up might be a bit much.

Not only work related but as I just finished my larger Dante's Inferno leg tattoo I already am starting to HATE the staring/questions of a tattoo that is visible, and the idea that I could never cover it up might be a bit much.

That is why its a good rule to really get comfortable with tattoos before you go into visible areas especially highly visible places. All these fools that are starting with hand and neck tattoos never get that chance.

That is why its a good rule to really get comfortable with tattoos before you go into visible areas especially highly visible places. All these fools that are starting with hand and neck tattoos never get that chance.

I never understood getting a extremely visible tattoo early on...never have never will.

Even though it is visible, I never thought about how often my leg is exposed. It kinda sucks but meh I guess I will get used to it soon. Maybe I should get "Don't Preach to Me" tattooed on my neck so everyone stops trying to inform me of the opinions.

I never understood getting a extremely visible tattoo early on...never have never will.

Even though it is visible, I never thought about how often my leg is exposed. It kinda sucks but meh I guess I will get used to it soon. Maybe I should get "Don't Preach to Me" tattooed on my neck so everyone stops trying to inform me of the opinions.

There is nothing in this world that will stop people from giving their opinion.

If anyone works in the medical career or know anybody that does, what's been the general experience with visible tattoos? I'm in my 2nd to last semester of x-ray school, and the ones on my upper arm don't seem to be an issue even though they show, but I'm still weary of doing any forearm tattoos any time soon

I'm finding this thread quite interesting. When I started getting tattooed I was not particularly well informed, but I had a good idea of what I wanted. I started with my inner-forearms. I figured, if I'm getting these cool tattoos why shouldn't other people get to enjoy them as well? I work as a carpenter, so that is not a field where people judge you too harshly on appearance, more on competence. Reading about the warped tour body suit made me laugh. I'm not there at all, in fact if I wear a hoodie I appear un-tattooed. But in reading and looking at tattooed folk I've started working my way up, gives a more balanced look.

Just got my chest done, you can't see that one at all with a t-shirt on. So I'm starting to see the appeal of semi private tattoos as well.

In my opinion with highly visible tattoos a lot of it comes down to content. I have seen a girl with her knuckles reading B-A-K-E S-A-L-E and I have seen a dude with knuckles reading F-I-S-T F-U-C-K. On the scale of stuff-you-think-your-grandma-would-be-okay-with those are obviously very different.

I had an interesting experience this weekend just gone because I didn't have visual tattoos. I was dressed in a plain shirt and jacket, so I stood out like a sore thumb in rock club I was in. Everyone kept on eying me up until my friend called some people out on it. They then asked me if I knew anything about tattoos or if I was tough enough to have any. My response was to slowly take my shirt off to reveal my torso and back covered in tattoos all done by Stewart. Needless to say they were speechless. I just told them I was earning my visual spots, and not being a show of jackass trying to fit in with everyone else.

Sorry if that was off topic. I do like visual tattoos but only if the person has tattoos in other areas. Otherwise I think there is too much blank skin around and they look like an attempt at getting attention. I'll get my forearms/hands/neck done when I retire and I have no more room left.

• 2 years later...