Visual tattoo opinions....

Lochlan

I, a man who makes tattoos seven days a week, have my face tattooed. But I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that it hinders me. Even being in the industry. Before speaking with other artists, i am known as "one of those tattoo face black t shirt guys." But, I chose to adorn my face with said tattoos. This is also being after having a good percentage of my body covered. Do i regret them? Sometimes. Mainly when I am out with my family, or when speaking to another artists who I hold in high regards. But I made that choice, so I deal with it. But as for the "scene kid, baltimore body suit" kids, I find it ridiculous. Also, working in a shop, I cant believe the amount of clients trying to get their "lil wayne starter kits" going at such a young stage especially considering 90% of their lack of tattoos. But artists like Freddy Corbin and a few others defied the "general rule of thumb" that i was taught. No neck, no face, and no hands. I rebelled against this, and in my decision, i am hindered. I have to stand by my decision now. But in hindsight, if i had it to do all over, I probably would not have.

I guess I feel like there's 2 schools here... the one that is a true drop out from society facial tattoo... and then the one that has been mainstreamed by musicians and X-games athletes. I've seen young little blond-haired girls in their early 20's will full tribal face tattoos panhandling on the Haight. I don't get it, but if it's a fuck you to society well then I certainly understand the mentality. Part of me is jealous cuz I'd like to think I'm hardcore and don't give a fuck, but really I'd rather be able to function in polite society when necessary. I want to be able to have a conversation with my kid's teacher without having to first win them over and assure them we are not a family of serial killers. I haven't done my face, hands, neck or even chest yet, but will likely do all (EXCEPT my face) before I'm done. I also think it's a little silly to get your throat/ neck/ hands done when you're arms and torso are not covered. From what I understand those body parts used to be the "last frontier" that you only tattooed when you were out of room elsewhere. Thanks to people like Tommy Lee and Travis Barker I guess that's no longer the deal. At the end of the day, I do believe "to each, his own". I'm thankful I live in a world where I can do whatever I want with my own body. So what if that betty wants to work behind the MAC makeup counter for the rest of her life. Not my problem!

I don't mind facial tattoos. I don't think they're for everybody. I get a lot of inquiries from people wanting their neck of their hands done, even "something small between my thumb and index finger." I only do those if they're heavily tattooed already. Which, being in the town I work in, is a very small percentage of clients. Those who are heavily tattooed are doin it right, and getting to the prime real estate when they've earned it. I really don't think a lot of these people asking for facial, hand and neck tattoos are thinking very far ahead. Just a few weeks ago, I had a girl want her neck done, and she had 2 other tattoos. I told no and explained my reasoning, and she was like, "I didn't even think about that." It's pretty ridiculous. Visible. Forever. Should be something well thought out.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to know a tattooer who said he thought all "heavily" tattooed people

who were not tattooers- were mentally ill!

I don't know that I agreed with him then, but sometimes when I see people (who aren't tattooers) who have their faces done- I find myself wondering if they are really committed to tattoos or should just be committed.

I used to work for a guy F.E.Craig, he was totally covered except for his face.

One day he called me to say that he wanted me to do his face like the "Rolling Stone" Tattoo You album cover. This was in the 80s! I refused and told him to fire me but I wasn't going to do it.

I still wouldn't do it, and as far as I know, when he died he still didn't have his face tattooed.

I'm actually really proud of the piece I got from a kid out in St. Louis. I won't say his name because I dont know if it would look bad on him or not but he did a great fucking job. This tattoo is 3 years old now too. He was nervous and I could tell the people who he was working the convention with were alittle taken back by it. But alot of it has to do with who you're around and who you hang out with. I'm glad I got it.

143p0np.jpg

Aaron, where is this located?

So in the thread "Would you let your kids get tattooed before eighteen" when writing a recent response I was going to include this but decided it was more appropriate here......

As many know I have known Scott for some time now and he would not even tattoo my hands, fingers, neck, visible spots up until a about a year ago at which point he did the sides to some of my fingers and another time a set of my knuckles on both hands. I had to go to someone else at Blackheart to do my neck because bottom line Scott was looking out for me and has morals/ethics but I found my way around it. The person in the shop did get shit for it. So what are your set of morals/ethics on this topic of "Visible Tattoos"?

That tattoo is on my cheek. Its a pretty decent size too. Morals and ethics apply in most cases but not all. Most people regret getting alot of tattoos they get. Does it mean we should tell them that and refuse to do it? No. We've all done hundreds of tattoos that in our opinions are idiotic but yet we still do them because its our job and only an opinion. So like I said morals and ethics apply but not in all cases.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought that Brent Hinds from Mastodon has a cool face tattoo but when I looked at the pics he just has the side of his head tattooed? I could have sworn he has his cheeck tattooed! Who the hell was it that I saw in a magazine then...

About getting tattooed in visible areas before anywhere else, I agree. First sleeves, chest, back blaa, then hands etc.

Btw. Is Freddy Corbin religious or is he just really into the aura of religious tattoos?

Have to go watch the interview now...

Freddy Corbin is ordained. His official title is Cardinal of Cool, High Priest of the First Church of Oakland, Beeeeeeeyaaaaatch.

Go ahead and google it if you don't believe me.

haha, great! We were just talking how he dropped the "Mr. Nice Guy" some years ago. He has a jesus drawing by Higgs at Temple titled "Freddy Jesus" as that's how his name would appear in Higgs appointment book back when Freddy got tattooed by him. They tried to get him to adopt it but he wasn't and isn't having it. I loved his shoutout to Oakland at the end of the interview!

Freddy Corbin is ordained. His official title is Cardinal of Cool, High Priest of the First Church of Oakland, Beeeeeeeyaaaaatch.

Go ahead and google it if you don't believe me.

I did google it, and I kind of did expect to get a match. Kind of like when you're a kid and you know Santa isn't real, but you stay up most of the night looking out the window, just in case.

I did google it, and I kind of did expect to get a match. Kind of like when you're a kid and you know Santa isn't real, but you stay up most of the night looking out the window, just in case.

i googled it too. just hoping that description was posted somewhere other than here haha

Not to blow up anyone's spot, but have you ever seen Freddy and Santa in the same room? Just sayin'.