How to design a tat?

new2tats

I am fairly new to tattoos in general and am very new to trying to design one myself.  First thing, I have zero artistic ability, I probably couldn't draw a straight line with a ruler!  I have an idea what I want to have added to one of the few tattoos I do have, but I don't know how to adequately describe it to an tattoo artist, which will lead to them becoming frustrated and charging extra or me getting something I REALLY didn't want...forever.  I assume I can always hire somebody to do it for me, but I also would like to avoid spending several hundred dollars designing the things too.

3 hours ago, new2tats said:

I am fairly new to tattoos in general and am very new to trying to design one myself.  First thing, I have zero artistic ability, I probably couldn't draw a straight line with a ruler!  I have an idea what I want to have added to one of the few tattoos I do have, but I don't know how to adequately describe it to an tattoo artist, which will lead to them becoming frustrated and charging extra or me getting something I REALLY didn't want...forever.  I assume I can always hire somebody to do it for me, but I also would like to avoid spending several hundred dollars designing the things too.

Drawing a good tattoo is not the same as drawing a picture on a flat piece of paper. Why do you think that a tattoo artist would be unable to understand you and get frustrated, but you could find someone other than a tattoo artist that would be able to do it? Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. Tattoo artists are used to people describing what they want. Find a good artist and work with them. You're going to wear this forever, don't worry about cost. It will cost far more to have it lasered off if you don't get what you want.

No need to be sorry and I know it probably doesn't make sense  LOL  I have 2 tattoos and I'm over 40 years old.  I just got one last week and the other one I got 23 years ago, so my knowledge is very limited.  So far I've been able to get away with just walking in with a picture and saying "put this one here"  The guy I used for the latest one is very good, but his patience seems limited and I didn't walk away with the feeling that he wants to sit around and help somebody like me design something pretty involved.  I might need to find somebody else.  I live in the Dallas area so I'm sure there are a few.

Edited by new2tats

1 hour ago, new2tats said:

No need to be sorry and I know it probably doesn't make sense  LOL  I have 2 tattoos and I'm over 40 years old.  I just got one last week and the other one I got 23 years ago, so my knowledge is very limited.  So far I've been able to get away with just walking in with a picture and saying "put this one here"  The guy I used for the latest one is very good, but his patience seems limited and I didn't walk away with the feeling that he wants to sit around and help somebody like me design something pretty involved.  I might need to find somebody else.  I live in the Dallas area so I'm sure there are a few.

No shortage of tattoo artists in Dallas. You should be able to find one who will accommodate you. Good luck.