Anybody Got A Good Explaination For This Question?

MGblues

When you're in a service job you get asked every god damn shift. Sometimes, you'll get the exact same phrasing of the question from multiple people on the same day and then it'll really drive you crazy. Depending on whether they've paid or not, how nice they are/whether they have tattoos or not, how busy I am, and how nice I'm feeling, my response can vary greatly.

One of my favorite responses when I don't wanna deal with people is to tell them some super depressing story about a tattoo and watch their face drop. Then I just walk away to another table :D

When someone asks me what my tattoos mean I say "nothing. They don't mean anything I just liked it". It makes me kind of mad because even if they did mean something, it would probably be something very personal to me which means it's none of their god damn business in the first place. What if my tattoo symbolized when my baby died or I got attacked and lived or my house burnt down. If any of that had happened to me I wouldn't want to talk to strangers about it. I also get very very angry when strangers grab my arm to see a tattoo. I do not understand why anyone thinks it's appropriate to touch someone they don't know. I had a waiter do it once and I almost left the restaurant.

When people ask about where I got them done and they do it nicely I will tell them because I like to give my friends business. You never know who's going to turn into a regular customer.

My mom always says shit like "you did it to yourself and people are just curious" and I usually say something like "well fat people did it to themselves and I'm not gonna go grab their gut and ask what the meaning behind their food addiction is, or how they could do that to their body".

In the end I usually end up wearing clothes that show as little as possible. Even on the hottest days in Florida I generally wear long pants and a shirt to my elbows. It's sad that a young woman can't walk around with tattoos showing and not get yelled at by guys in cars.

Sometimes I think people just don't know what to say to me, so they try to talk about tattoos and since they don't know anything about them they seem to use all the typical cliche comments that drive me nuts. Some girl asked me this question sitting next to me on the plane and I just kind of told her that most of my tattoos don't have meaning and I get them because I like the look of traditional tattoos and the history that goes behind it. Granted I probably showed some restraint because we were at the beginning of a four hour flight and telling her to fuck off would have been awkward to say the least, plus she really didn't want to talk about tattoos she was just bored and wanted someone to talk to, so I changed the subject let her talk about her and all was good. Usually people don't really engage me in conversation, the just mumble "nice tats" as I walk by.

even though my tattoos do have deeper meanings to me, i'll never tell them the truth.

I have a couple that mean something, or are a reference to something and like you I wouldn't tell them anyway. It's not for other people, I get tattoos for me. Every tattoo I've gotten for other people, like cause I wanted to look cool or impress someone I ended up regretting and either covering or have plans to laser. Luckily I learned pretty quick why I was attracted to tattoos and why I wanted them so I'd say 95% were done after that realization.

I wasn't trying to stir up a shitstorm by posting this. Its not that I get offended, I just really don't know what to say. My old goto used to be "Cause I killed some guy in prison for asking about tattoos" but at 45, grey hair and glasses and 5' 11" and 145lbs soaking wet its probably not a good idea anymore.

Just tell them you were drunk when you got them and you don't remember.

My new favorite!!!

Really, all of them gave me a chuckle.

I'm the guy who often approaches tattooed people and asks who did their work. Sorry! I always try to make sure that my tattoos are showing when I do ask so at least there's a chance they won't think I'm a total asshole.

Case in point: I just spent the first half of the day with my daughter at Fisherman's Wharf, and I saw a guy with a really awesome hannya on his calf. I asked him who did it and he said, "A guy in London named Alex Binnie." I replied, "Oh, at Into You!" I think I surprised him. He went on to say that London has so many great tattooers now, and I asked him if he knew of @Stewart Robson and @Valerie Vargas. He said, "I'm a cab driver in London--I drive them to Frith Street all the time!"

Small world, and I'm glad I asked him about his tattoos.

I see a lot of old men where I live with old tattoos. I've been to chicken to talk to any of them. The other day a guy came into my store with an old green hot stuff, it was awesome. Shoulda asked him about it.

The most offensive thing I think is when people ask me how much my tattoos cost. a)none of your business how much money I've put into my tattoos. b)my fiancé is a tattooer so I often get good deals or free tattoos or trade artwork for tattoos so I don't want to tell someone 'oh i paid $100' when I know they'd have to pay double or triple if they just walked into a shop. c) if you love a certain artists and care about getting a good tattoo it shouldn't matter.

It especially makes me mad when someone's like oh where do you get tattooed and then they go "oh i heard that place was really expansive, i only paid $25 for this one" Yeah you paid $25 and it fucking looks like it bro. The reason this tattoo cost me $600 is because it was done by a respected artists who's put years into his trade, you paid some asshole who knows nothing about tattooing or art to scrawl your baby's name across your wrist, and it's upside down.

Basically, I just hate people and I don't like being talked to by strangers. I wish I had more run ins with people like Hogg and his cab driver.

I think that tattooers and "enthusiasts" talking to each other about tattoo work is very different. I love talking about tattoos etc with people who understand and respect it.

But I hate the " my boy is doing good work in his backyard yo, if your interested"

I get asked "Who did the work" or "Was it done locally" a lot too and that doesn't bother me a bit.

I don't tattoo, but all the artists who tattoo at the shop I've been going to the last year are more than happy to talk tattoo stuff any time I'm there.

I think that tattooers and "enthusiasts" talking to each other about tattoo work is very different. I love talking about tattoos etc with people who understand and respect it.

But I hate the " my boy is doing good work in his backyard yo, if your interested"

You bring up a really good point.

A good example is at the LST dinner last week I had never met @Iwar before in my life but there was no problem lifting up shirts and showing different tattoos and talking about different artists because we both obviously appreciate tattoos.

I'm the guy who often approaches tattooed people and asks who did their work. Sorry! I always try to make sure that my tattoos are showing when I do ask so at least there's a chance they won't think I'm a total asshole.

You did this to me when we first met and it was no big deal. Granted, you have that amazing Horitomo sleeve so I immediately figured you weren't some random tool talking to me about my sweet tatties brah. (It also probably helps we were a party of all tattooed people...)

You bring up a really good point.

A good example is at the LST dinner last week I had never met @Iwar before in my life but there was no problem lifting up shirts and showing different tattoos and talking about different artists because we both obviously appreciate tattoos.

That dinner was a blast. Everyone on the board needs to move to california so we can have massive home town buffet dinners.

Im sure everyone in the restaurant was stoked to see a bunch of people pulling up their shirts.

At the risk of sounding like a creep my favortire part of going to tattoo conventions is being at the late night party that ends up turning into a shirtless one. As soon as one dude starts showing someone his back piece or chest it ends up in everyone following suit. I've gotten to see a lot of amazing tattoos I'd never have seen otherwise. Good old alcohol!

I dont think most people have bad intentions, its just ignorance. Today I was being tattooed and a gentleman came in and wanted a drawing. David politely told him that a drawing is done with a scheduled appointment. He said he wasnt ready just yet but had some Ideas he wanted to see drawings of. I honestly dont think the guy was trying to be cheap or rude I just dont think he knew better regarding an artists time and work.

I'm the guy who often approaches tattooed people and asks who did their work. Sorry! I always try to make sure that my tattoos are showing when I do ask so at least there's a chance they won't think I'm a total asshole...

..."I'm a cab driver in London--I drive them to Frith Street all the time!"

Hahaa! that's funny.

I met a guy in SF a couple of years ago that had 30-40 year old swallows on his hands, tattooed in the same town I went to university in the North of England. I only know because I was the guy who asks strangers about their tattoos too. Also I knew he got tattooed in the UK because of the style and placement of the tattoos, they were awesome.

I think it is different to show an educated or involved interest rather than a curious or voyeuristic one. I've got to see a load of awesome tattoos that way, not to mention meet friends of people I know.

If it's the same cab driver I'm thinking of, He has an old bodysuit from Binnie.

Also the guy in my gallery with the full back and legs is a London cab driver.

If it's the same cab driver I'm thinking of, He has an old bodysuit from Binnie.

London cab drivers are now my hero. Maybe my dream should become move to London and become a driver, but first I must get a London A-Z to learn all your crazy streets.

Nah, different guy. He has a new sleeve from (gasp) Kamil. It's Jason from Friday the 13th. Let's just say it was not my cup of Earl Grey, if you get my drift. Still, a very nice guy, and it was great to chat with him.

If person doesn't have kids I sternly tell them to "Please, don't talk to me."

If person does have kids I ask them why they have them and what significance they represent.

Ok, these are both lies but it's what I'd like to say. I usually just stumble over words and try to walk away quickly.

If they are in my shop I just say that I like them and that is why.

I don't really have a problem with people asking me about mine b/c I don't have that many and they're not 'out' all the time. But I do find it annoying when peole find out you are tattooed and say "Oh, my guy could hook you up." I try not to be rude to anyone, but sometimes I'm not sure what their tattoos are supposed to be. I had one girl tell me (I guess she'd been asked a lot) and I still couldn't really see it.

I was guilty of tattoo snobbery a few months ago. I rarely take the bus, but it was rainy and I didn't want to bike, so I'm heading north and this old timer starts chatting me up about my tattoos. I was brisk, answering but not being overtly chatty. Turns out he had work from Crazy (Philadelphia) Eddie and Jack Dracula. We ended up bullshitting, and by the time I realized I should be taking pics, it was my stop. I hope I see him again, and it's a lesson to not be so much of a prick, which I tend to be.