be a tourist in your own city

slayer9019

Since I have accidentally showed up to my tattoo appointment early today (about 6 hours early) I had to kill time. So instead of going back home I decided to become a tourist for the day here in NYC. So far it has been expensive and not all that fun.

Anyone else try this before in their own city?

I live in a really small town (population 4500) and still am able to find places for doing this.

On a similar note, anyone into Geocaching? It seems like a neat thing that I might get into once it's spring again. If anyone doesn't know what that is, it's where people hide these little treasures or something in public places and then list it on the website and then anyone else who's a member can get the GPS co-ordinates and try to find whatever that prize may be. There's lots of them around where I live hidden in parks and forests. I know there's also lots hidden in Toronto in urban areas, even right downtown.

Spent the day at the Nature Center in Austin-last time I went was on a field trip w/ my son years ago. They had completely re-worked it and it had tons of new exhibits for kids (we had my two younger daughters with us). My favorite part is the raptor rescue area with owls, falcons, and hawks-birds of prey fascinate me.

I'm in love with Philadelphia and, as I have oodles of free time on my hands, tend to wander around a lot discovering new parts of the city.

My walking tour is legendary; out of towners are subjected to it every new visit.

Next time I'm in Philly, I'll take you up on that.

If I have a lot of time, I get on a train or bus to some suburb I've never been to and deliberately get lost. Public transport here is really easy to navigate, so getting back to the CBD is no trouble. Usually results in some good photos, and the occasional sweet op-shop find.

As far as "Brisbane City" goes, you can walk across it in about half an hour, so you kind of have to go further afield to find anything new.

i live in a small town in southwestern ohio, next to wright patterson afb (the largest air force base and at one point the largest military base in north america) also home to the national airforce museum. National Museum of the USAF - Virtual Tour

if you are ever in the area, it is worthy of checking out. it's free and pretty impressive even if you aren't a total airplane geek like me. dayton, ohio is close by and home to several wright brothers historical sites and museums. but really, fairborn's biggest and coolest thing going on happens this time of year because the guy who owns most of the shops downtown is a total halloween/moster collector and the majority of the stores are costume and halloween related, including a couple haunted houses. so around mid september he decorates all of downtown and it keeps getting bigger each year. i'll try and take some pics, i may have to use my phone so the pics wont be as good as the camera since it's currently out of commission.

fairborn is also home to the bookery Bookery Fantasy Comics, Collectibles, Games, and Toys which apparently has just had part of their sign stolen.

Since I have accidentally showed up to my tattoo appointment early today (about 6 hours early) I had to kill time. So instead of going back home I decided to become a tourist for the day here in NYC. So far it has been expensive and not all that fun.

Anyone else try this before in their own city?

My town is too small to tour. At least you're in NY where 6 hours can go pretty fast. I was about 2 hours early last week for an appointment in Brooklyn and had no problem killing that time.

If I have a lot of time, I get on a train or bus to some suburb I've never been to and deliberately get lost. Public transport here is really easy to navigate, so getting back to the CBD is no trouble. Usually results in some good photos, and the occasional sweet op-shop find.

As far as "Brisbane City" goes, you can walk across it in about half an hour, so you kind of have to go further afield to find anything new.

Brisbane has always been cool, It exists because of the Cow Palace, It used to be all ol' cowboys.

I love being a tourist in Sausalito. Art galleries, wine tasting rooms, the coolest toy store on earth (every Pez dispenser and bobblehead you can think of), great food, a guy w/a parrot, a guy that does rock structures and the most stellar views. I'm in tourist central due to the ice cream shop downstairs from my apt. Tourists love ice cream at anytime, in any weather. Its quite fascinating. I'm thinking of doing a mockumentary on it.

I love wandering around Portland and driving to neighborhoods I don't usually hang out in. As I talked about in the hipster thread I hung out on Alberta last thursday for last thursday art show, saw a bunch of cool stuff and was able to visit my friend at his tattoo shop. Got a burger with two grilled cheese sandwiches as the bun (aka the Cheesus) and then stopped by Atlas Tattoo on my way home to say hi and look around and present the idea of getting my ribs done there.

The only downfall to Portland and it's hardly that is that there are so many breweries everywhere it is easy for me to get sidetracked. I guess tattoo shops do that for me too and there are about as many tattoo shops as breweries.