Dumb Hipster Tattoos

ShawnPorter

Back on the topic of dumb hipster tattoos and away from the other nonsense. I'm curious about some things I like, but I'm a bit concerned they might be considered hipster tattoos. For instance I see a lot of owl tattoos, and generally like them, but I've heard some people consider them hipster shit. I really like flower tattoos as well, but have seen a big increase in people who wouldn't otherwise get tattooed getting them because they're a bit more of a socially acceptable image. The ironic tattoos seem to have done this recently. It seems like at one time only seriously tattooed people would dream of getting things like a ham sandwich tattooed on them, and now there seems to be a lot of "normal" people with this stuff. Am I just too paranoid?

I think that just blanket judging owl tattoos as 'hipster' or trendy is giving way too much power to the sort of people who get stupid or ironic tattoos. Owls are a pretty timeless subject for a tattoo in my opinion, and transcend the comings and goings of fashion, unlike a ham sandwich, or an ape in a tuxedo riding a penny farthing.

I think if you like it, fucking get it. Trends, hipsters, tribal, etc will come and go. What about the people getting traditional stuff in the late 80's early 90's when it wasn't "cool" and now it is. Don't get me wrong I have always loved traditional work. I have it and will continue to get it. But I am also starting to get sick of seeing it on fucking everyone. There is always going to be a trend that co-insides with what you already enjoy. Sorry for the rant. And back to the fucking hipsters....

dc458724-979f-4d24-b4a5-0a8a97f7c34a.jpg

Back on the topic of dumb hipster tattoos and away from the other nonsense. I'm curious about some things I like, but I'm a bit concerned they might be considered hipster tattoos. For instance I see a lot of owl tattoos, and generally like them, but I've heard some people consider them hipster shit.

Sometimes pictures are better than words. This should settle the debate about owls. An 'in progress' from Chad Koeplinger: Instagram

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guessing those tattoos are for Autism Speaks, an advocacy group for people with Autism. The puzzle piece is their logo. Or was the the joke..?

I just wanted to note that I just did a copy and paste with that photo. I did no research. I just found the caption funny. If I would have known it was for Autism Speaks I wouldn't have posted it.

• 2 weeks later...
it's a font, that tattoo is actually in that font. I'm lost as to why anyone would want that tattoo however.

Helvetica is the safest, corporate choice of font and the only one dislectic people have no problems with (that is why BBC uses it) Most graphic designers I know truly hate it! The guy thinks he is being clever: using the least creative font to show how creative he is. But don't quote me on this, he might have better reasons than this....like the fact Helvetica is so popular with big corporations.