Dumb Hipster Tattoos

ShawnPorter

To me the definition of a hipster tattoo is like an ironic band T-shirt. You don't have to be a sailor to get an anchor, but if you're getting an anchor (or a mom heart or whatever) to be funny -- bingo, that's a hipster tattoo. This McDonald's one is the epitome of that even tho this kid looks more like a frat boy than a hipster. Actually I really hate the word hipster, but I can't think of a better one so I'll leave it at that.

I think hipster fits kinda well for that trend.

To me hipster tattoos lack a genuine commitment and honesty. It's easier to be ironic and mock something than to put yourself out there with a belief that goes deep for you. I don't mean a tattoo that has personal meeting , but for me it would be like getting some horror tattoo and deflecting with how funny it is rather then how much I love horror.

I know a guy who did a walk in of Louis Vuitton on someone's face.. The guy wanted the tattoo so he would match his new shoes.... not joking.

Do they consider the copy right? if they get the patented symbols and then get sued what are they going to do?

I think at this point it's a word that's often (mostly?) used for people to distance themselves from other people who look uncomfortably like them/have some of the same interests but are insufficiently authentic. It can mean almost anything the person saying it wants it to mean.

It's not uncommon. And I'm not saying wearing an apron for self-protection and avoiding mess is a bad thing. Just a point that some people wear one to complete a 'look', and isn't any more authentic than the person they are sneering at for the shirt they're wearing or whatever.

More than half of the people labeling other people as hipsters are also posting in a thread called 'how do you react to stares' talking about how strangers and family alike judge them by appearance.

I'd say the term is describing people who are getting tattoos for style only, usually in shock places or shock/look at my tattoo type of imagery.

However in my eyes that's not to say its anti fashion, just more about 'try hards' rather than people who have their own style and conviction to it.

I bloody love tattoos, and appreciate a lot of styles, but some of the shock/stupid/comedy tats do make me laugh and think 'why?!??'

These days the word "hipster" is used so much it's lost meaning, but it's still a real subculture. I briefly made the mistake of going to a fancy art school and I ran into quite a few hipsters. What I found disturbing is the fact that many of them seemed to care more about looking like artists than they cared about art. I don't dislike every hipsterish person and I try not to judge people by superficial things, but I totally understand how hipster came to be such a popular insult.

These days the word "hipster" is used so much it's lost meaning, but it's still a real subculture. I briefly made the mistake of going to a fancy art school and I ran into quite a few hipsters. What I found disturbing is the fact that many of them seemed to care more about looking like artists than they cared about art. I don't dislike every hipsterish person and I try not to judge people by superficial things, but I totally understand how hipster came to be such a popular insult.

I feel that these people are predominantly just superficial. That is what is so insulting about it. When your main concern is only to LOOK like something, then I lose all respect for that person. I didn't go to an art school, but NY does have a large hipster subculture and it really makes me sad to see how they conduct themselves. The outright arrogance I have experienced is maddening. I boil it down to a softer world that allows people to behave so grossly in public. (If I behaved this way when I was younger I would have been punched, and I am not so far removed from their generation).

Hipster to me has not lost its emphasis, my wife will call me a hipster when she wants to piss me off.

It is similar to the emo wave of tattoos. I knew a kid that had all these awful song lyrics boldly tattooed ALL OVER. This was a good chunk of time ago, so he must be regretting them by now. I'm hoping all these hipsters with their awful throat tattoos just become a mark of shame and stupidity in 5 years time.

I boil it down to a softer world that allows people to behave so grossly in public. (If I behaved this way when I was younger I would have been punched, and I am not so far removed from their generation).

Hipster to me has not lost its emphasis, my wife will call me a hipster when she wants to piss me off.

@misterJ

Ha , ha I've been saying the same thing about our society for a while also and I guess I'm probably your age or older .

Then again if you read the book "Hagakure " the Samurai were saying much the same thing in the early 1700's , so go figure .

@misterJ

Ha , ha I've been saying the same thing about our society for a while also and I guess I'm probably your age or older .

Then again if you read the book "Hagakure " the Samurai were saying much the same thing in the early 1700's , so go figure .

I'm gonna kindle that and give it a read. Thanks for the info.

Someone I used to know used to point out situations as Wild West. Meaning back in the day the crap we see would never fly. I have to shake my head and just say I don't understand when I look around sometimes

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Having lived in Austin since 2008, this thread is the last damn thing I need to see. Gouge my eyes out already.

- - - Updated - - -

I still can't get a handle on what a Hipster is. Maybe the generation gap lets me down.

Are we talking motherfuckers who change their style depending what the current trend is?

In Australia we have a simple term for them types. "Wankers".

No. Because no mother is low class enough to fuck a hipster.