Sun Tan Question.

MGblues

I know that prolonged unprotected exposure to the sun will wreck tattoos, but here's my situation. I work 90% indoors. I don't ever go outside without sunscreen on, and haven't had a sunburn since childhood. Despite all this, I tan really dark below my shirt sleeves at the first hint of Spring. I'm just wondering if turning this tan will eventually damage the tattoos. Because of my skin color I've stuck with black and grey tattoos below the shirt sleeves.

My only alternative is long sleeves year round and its miserably hot in Tennessee in the summer.

I think prolonged exposure to the sun will ineveitably have some effects on the tattoo, even though you're using sunscreen. Obviously the sunscreen helps, but over a longer period of time I think the sun will have some fading effects. I know for me it has, my arms get a lot of sun in the summer and although I use a good sunscreen there has been some noticable discoloration where I used to have more pronounced white ink.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

After 30 with the sunscreen you have diminishing returns. You're basically 97+ percent from 30 SPF onwards. Doesn't really matter. Though I do get a real boost in confidence when I'm wearing like SPF 90.

Edit: When the tan diminishes the color will in some way return to the colors that would get darker from the sun tan, like white and yellow, right? That isn't permanent.

My wife bought me some Neutrogena 45 the other day. Goes on pretty dry and hazy but soaks in in a few minutes. It does stay on when I'm in the pool or in the ocean. Of all the stuff i've tried, I like this the best. I get no sun burn on the areas I apply it to and no puffing up that I get at times with lesser sunscreens.

CG

I dont burn in the New England sun, if im lucky I tan so I never put anything on. If my tattoo is healing Ill try to cover it with cloths. If you turn your skin into leather with the sun then yea your going to look like shit but your also prob going to have cancer.

• 4 weeks later...
I wear lightweight western shirts in the summer. They are keep me cool and keep the sun of off my tattoos. Since the shirts are so lightweight some sun still comes through them, but a little sunscreen underneath and you are good to go.

Same here. I also live in Minnesota though, so I'm in long sleeves about 8 months out of the year.