Fishing Thread.

Tight-Lines

I know there has to be some people on here who are fisher(men/women) out there. I love talking about fishing in general. I dont care if you are a purist dry fly fisherman, a trolling lake person, or a drinking beer and powerbating (maybe a little...).

When I get drunk I like to talk about fishing... GO.

I've not actually done it but it cracks me up every time I see it.

I grew up in South Florida so fishing is part of the life. We mostly fished for bass out in the woods. We didnt have a boat so most of my salt water fishing was from bridges and piers. There were many times in my life where I fished every single day in one way or another. I even used to wake up early before high school and fish for a while before school. Unfortunately, I dont do it as much as I want these days. I keep thinking I want to get one of those 2 man bass boat things that fit in my truck so I can fish the lakes near my house.

I love fishing. I started off fly fishing and I still love it, but after some douche broke into my truck and stole all my flies...I have trouble getting into it...

So I did bass fishing for a few years and totally DUG IT! Colorado doesnt have the biggest bass, but its really fun to catch them.

Then a good friend of mine convinced me to try ice fishing a few years ago. I am totally addicted to it. I love catching big trout through the ice now.

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS82OTI.jpg

Do you use a ice house or man up and go against the elements?

When I was a kid I had started trying to get into fishing, but as the only one in my family doing it, didn't last long. I think I got a summer outa it when I was 7 or so.

We take portable pop-up shelters in case it gets windy...but otherwise I prefer to sit outside.

No one in my family fished either...I had to do it though...I don't know why. I was just drawn to it.

@dcostello I hear ya man...getting my flies ripped off sucked. I literally lost hundreds of flies, mostly ones I tied myself. Its been really hard finding the motivation to tie again after such a big loss. I love winter flyfishing, so maybe I will give it a go again soon.

Btw, I LOVE small stream flyfishing for cutthroats here. Your day sounds perfect. Size doesnt matter as much as solitude and getting away from the sounds of civilization...

The only fly fishing I have done is for bass and it's really not the same thing. You just slap on a popper of some sort and make some noise. The casting/presentation process is theraputic though. It takes a lot more focus than just chunking worms so you are definitely more involved in what you are doing.

I did play a summer in Virginia and got to do some trout fishing in a small stream and enjoyed that a lot. I worked on a farm during the day and the owners of the property told me not to tell anyone about the stream and only catch what I was going to eat. So I used to go out there at lunch time and catch a trout and have her for lunch. Ahh the good old days.

Spent 2 hours at the casting ponds in Oakland yesterday. I ended up getting a casting lesson from a world class fly fisherman while there. Ive been fly fishing for 10 years and he made me realize that I still know nothing about my hobby. When I told him that, he said "son, ive been fly fishing for 50 years and I still know nothing... so dont feel TOO bad."